Hurricane Sandy

Wedge

I just wanted to say a quick "good luck" to those of us who live in the northeast U.S. as we brace for the pending hurricane this week. I'm in CT and it's supposed to hit us on Mon/Tues but I know there's other members in NY, etc., who are also expected to get hit hard. I lost power last year for almost a week during a crazy October snow and ice storm and that was certainly no fun so I'm hoping like hell the hurricane isn't as bad as they're predicting. I hope everyone stays safe, including myself and my family.

Last year was fun. Grabbed a few bottles of beer and fine Scotch, some premium cigars and watched the carnage unfold. This year will be no different.

I did sit on a 6 hour emergency conference call since I am working with NYC hospitals. They think it's gonna be brutal. I think it's gonna be a fun vacation for a week. Just make sure you have shittons of non perishable food and a ton of coolers full of beer!

I'm on Long Island, the south shore about 1.5 miles off the Great South Bay. I'm out of the flood plain so aside from rain and wind, there should be no flooding. Google "captree ny map" and you'll see where I am, just over the bridge to the north. Fire Island has a mandatory evacuation by 2 PM sunday, so the ferries are doing extra runs. You'd have to be nuts to ride it out.

All the exotic plants are in, anything loose outside is either in the garage or lashed to the deck off my kitchen. I hope the pool cover stays on, I may stake some extra lines across it later. Did some late food shopping, milk, beer, steaks.. the essentials. No run on anything in the store, lots of food on the shelves.

Got batteries, some ice, candles, gas stove and grill outside on the deck, so we should be okay. The prediction is an Irene-ish type of storm. Hittin' the gym around 7:30, after that will see how close I can get to the beach to see how wild the surf is.

Rob

We got warnings as well to be prepare and that we should get hit; now if you google Leamington Ontario Tornado, you should be able to see what we have been through before. So unless this storm takes down my remaining trees, my roof and my 6 foot fence, i will still do better than that night. Got the wine, candles and food ready. And that stupid blanket with sleeve that everybody made fun of but that is so dam cozy.....

We got warnings as well to be prepare and that we should get hit; now if you google Leamington Ontario Tornado, you should be able to see what we have been through before. So unless this storm takes down my remaining trees, my roof and my 6 foot fence, i will still do better than that night. Got the wine, candles and food ready. And that stupid blanket with sleeve that everybody made fun of but that is so dam cozy.....

Those blanket/toga/sweatshirts rock!

Oh snap... my back fence may not make it, gotta go out and slap a brace on it. Thanks for the reminder. Doing the last minute preps. Pretty calm here so far. Both of my kide are out of state, one in CT and the other in NJ... had to call these nitwits to tell them to head home ASAP...

Rob

Just finished my "hurricane prep"

1 bottle Kraken Rum

2 Cases of Guiness

1 6-pack Oktoberfest

1 New book

1 Box of Arturo Fuente Double-Chateau

Plus a nice selection of non-regiratable food. (dried meats, etc)

I'm more worried about having no water to wash my new tattoo! Now THAT would suck!

A man after my own heart!

C'mon...add a few cases of the gallon jugs of Ice Mountain water and you'll be all good to go. Oh, and double the rum, ya just can't ever tell!

A man after my own heart!

C'mon...add a few cases of the gallon jugs of Ice Mountain water and you'll be all good to go. Oh, and double the rum, ya just can't ever tell!

Already got some Costco packs of water and a sizeable collection of some good scotch and other mixed booze.

My buddies were at the liquor store with me before...they purchased 3 handles of liquor..each. Just in case!

Already got some Costco packs of water and a sizeable collection of some good scotch and other mixed booze.

My buddies were at the liquor store with me before...they purchased 3 handles of liquor..each. Just in case!

Good man...if you really wanna get paranoid, get yourself a Katadyn water filter and you cana always use gutter water!

Just finished my "hurricane prep"

1 bottle Kraken Rum

2 Cases of Guiness

1 6-pack Oktoberfest

1 New book

1 Box of Arturo Fuente Double-Chateau

Plus a nice selection of non-regiratable food. (dried meats, etc)

I'm more worried about having no water to wash my new tattoo! Now THAT would suck!

You're all set....

I picked up a 30 pack of Bud (local supermarket special...), plenty of wine for those who like it already on hand, most of a quart of Smirnoff Vodka, tomato juice, celery. Got about 100 percosets to fall back on if things go really bad.

Everything outside is about as good as it'll get. I fully expect to file a homeowner's insurance claim, so if the fence doesn't come down, I'm pullin' the fkucer down. Some wind now, a little rain. Have a call-in number at work so no idea if work is open until I call at 6 AM.

Rob

You're all set....

I picked up a 30 pack of Bud (local supermarket special...), plenty of wine for those who like it already on hand, most of a quart of Smirnoff Vodka, tomato juice, celery. Got about 100 percosets to fall back on if things go really bad.

Everything outside is about as good as it'll get. I fully expect to file a homeowner's insurance claim, so if the fence doesn't come down, I'm pullin' the fkucer down. Some wind now, a little rain. Have a call-in number at work so no idea if work is open until I call at 6 AM.

Rob

Depending on who you work for I probably doubt it. I work for the NYC hospital systems now, and they are running on bare essential staff. MTA is down and out so is a ton of other business in the NYC/NJ/LI area. I suggest you do like I am doing tonight. Fire up a nice cigar, crack open a brew and let the carnage happen. Nothing you can do to stop it, might as well enjoy the show!

CT is on the northern, windy side of the storm so we're not getting as much rain as other states. It also helps a little that I live inland but the coast of CT is getting terrible flooding from enormous waves from LI sound. Right now I am getting some heavy rain but the wind is gusting over 70 mph and there's a lot of downed trees. I almost got hit by a falling branch while driving home from work this afternoon. For now I'm just hoping I don't lose power and I'll assess the damage in the morning from the wind. I feel bad for the people whose homes and businesses will be ruined on the coast, many of whom just rebuilt after last years storm. Basically, I'm just sitting back with a beer and letting mother nature do its thing. Tomorrow morning will be a serious dose of reality.

Really loud, lots of crazy wind, thought there were people outside setting off fireworks but it turned out to be a billboard getting ripped up and snapping in the wind. We got lucky here, there was/is lots of flooding around the edges of the city and in Greenpoint here, and there was an explosion at the ConEd plant on 14th St. Can't believe how high the water got at some points.. Some photos here: Photos, Videos: Flooding Happening All Over The City: Gothamist

What's really rough, my in-laws live down at the shore in NJ and they went up to MA to stay with some family.. They've been getting reports from people who stayed, sounds like the water ripped through pretty bad and some houses are now in the bay. Not lookin good..

- - - Updated - - -

Some crazy photos on weather.com of NY and other places.. http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-sandy-pictures-photos2-20121025

Depending on who you work for I probably doubt it. I work for the NYC hospital systems now, and they are running on bare essential staff. MTA is down and out so is a ton of other business in the NYC/NJ/LI area. I suggest you do like I am doing tonight. Fire up a nice cigar, crack open a brew and let the carnage happen. Nothing you can do to stop it, might as well enjoy the show!

I work for a Fotrune-300 company with about 600 employees in the area.. they're funny about a plant closing since that's on their dime. Monday we were open and I put in a full day. They announced the Tuesday closing, so that they pay for. I'll call in on Wednesday and see what's what.

Got power here, a messy yard and about 5 sections of fence to pull down & call the insurance agent.

Rob