Help with choosing a good scotch or whiskey

Natveggie45

Well, hubby turning 46 thursday. Got his apt made after school for his new tattoo , so he is spending all evening thursday at the shop getting this done. I wanted to surprise him there with a good bottle of scotch or whiskey, but when i went to the liquor store there was at least 30 brands. Which one do you recommend? Any ideas out there? Do not know where to start!

Do you know what he likes in his liquor? When it comes to good single-malt scotches, I often recommend Macallan as a good "starter" scotch for folks who don't know the different varieties that well; it is smooth and delicious and guaranteed to please all tastes. If you know what you/he likes, there are obviously tons of other options! My favourite single malts are the Islay ones as I love peaty and smokey whiskies. Other folks hate that. It's very personal!

(Disclaimer: all my whisky knowledge is really about Scotch, but we are trying to learn more about Bourbon in this here household lately, as it is so sweet and delicious!)

If y'all have never bought a single malt scotch (i.e. a fancy scotch) I definitely would recommend something like Macallan as a good place to start.

The first bottle of bourbon we bought was Bulleit, which is delicious and one of the ones I was recommended as someone just getting into it, but I am sure the bourbon connoisseurs may have more advice!

Am I right in remembering that you live in Ontario? If so, a good LCBO should have staff that can help you choose too!

I was going to say Makers Mark is usually what I order when i'm out. But I'm more of a beer drinker. I also like Single barrel Jack Daniels or Blantons. I think the key is also how much do you want to spend, you could spend hundreds of dollars, but I kind of feel like 50-60 is the top of my budget when I am trying to get fancy. 25 is my normal budget.

Some people have sounded off about their favorites in this thread.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/random-crap/1075-whiskey-thread-page2.html

Did ask the LCBO lady; but not much help. I a going to go back tomorrow with my phone in my hand to consult all the names you gave me. I should have said my budget: not more than 150.00..... His tattoo is making a huge dent in my budget. But i saved since last june for this. He is the kind of guy that always give to me or the kids; its his turn for once....

I'll second the Macallan recommendation. The 10 Year Old Fine Oak is a great whisky, is reasonably priced, is easy to find, and will please most palates. If he's normally a Crown Royal drinker it's a really good introduction to single malts, and in my opinion better than other "introductory" ones like Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie.

Another thing to note is that an older whisky isn't necessarily a better one. Age is going to smooth it out, but with some whiskies, especially the really smoky and peaty ones from the islands, I prefer them being a little rough around the edges. It's a matter of personal taste.

Don't know much about bourbon, as @Pugilist said all we have in the house is a bottle of Bulleit which I like a lot. I tried George T. Stagg once and it was absolutely beautiful but well out of my price range for normal drinking. I think I paid $20 for a single measure of it...absolutely gorgeous stuff.

" I think I paid $20 for a single measure of it...absolutely gorgeous stuff."

Must have been great! But maybe for his 50th. And no tattoo to go along! I think my LCBO has the first you mentioned... I will go check. A lot of people here know their stuff! I just posted as a last resort... Should have done this sooner!

Bourbon...back when I drank the stuff, my favorite was Knob Creek. Righteous stuff. As for Scotch, personally I wouldn't touch anything but Laphroig. The ten year-old will run you, around here, about $40 a bottle, and worth every penny. If you want a compromise betwixt the two, try him on some Irish, Jameson is always a good bet.

Laphroaig is my favourite scotch ever--it is my go-to "comfort" drink--but as it's one of the smoky ones it definitely isn't for everybody. But if you like the taste of smokiness, then it is probably the most accessible of that kind of scotch, and I love it to pieces and can't wait til I bring a barrel back from the UK when I am there next week.

To be honest, for me personally, if someone cares enough to pick me out a nice single malt whiskey or small batch bourbon then it's going to be exciting to try it no matter what. Any of the internationally-distributed distilleries should be a good bet if you aim to spend $40-50 plus. I don't think you'd need to go as far as spending anything like $100 to get a top-notch bottle of something.

For some people, the peaty Islay whiskeys are 'too much'. And yet, Islay whiskeys are probably still the biggest phenomenon in attracting new single malt whiskey drinkers in the U.K and Ireland. I think it's precisely the strong and clear flavours associated (peatiness, iodine-like notes, oil, saltwater) that appeal. In this vein I would echo Dan's recommendation of Laphroaig (10 year old would be fine) and add to that almost anything from Lagavulin (the 16 year old is a classic choice for a prestige Islay single malt), Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Caol Ila, Ardbeg... To be honest I've never had a 'dud' from these distilleries.

If you do go the route of buying an Islay, then I'd suggest that you make sure he takes a good nose at it to enjoy the peatiness before he drinks it- that's half the pleasure of an Islay, IMO. Because Islay whiskey can be very robust (particularly some of the cask strength offerings) it is an idea to cut it with a little water. And please, no ice...!

Beyond that I guess something like Talisker probably bridges the gap between Islay and mainland whiskeys- some of the peatiness but a little smoother than your average Ardbeg or Laphroaig for sure.

I'm not a big highlands or lowlands whiskey drinker, but I know my girlfriend, who tends to like the more easy-going whiskeys, likes stuff like Balvenie and Glenmorangie. Some of the Glenmorangies that are finished in stuff like port, sherry or sauternes casks can be a treat from time to time.

As regards Bourbon: I think if you're looking to get 'something nice' then I wouldn't buy a run-of-the-mill Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve or similar. They're great, but if you want to buy something that's a bit special you should probably look for something small batch: Bookers, Van Winkle, Elijah Craig etc. ( The Kings Of Bourbon - Forbes.com )

Anyway, nice idea- I'm sure he'll be delighted whatever you choose.

Aside from reading through the whiskey thread...

For bourbons on the pricier side, see if you can get your hands on some Pappy 12, I think they just did this year's release last month so there should be a new batch out and it sounds like your liquor store has a good selection. Less expensive, try Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, Knob Creek. Just tried a great one called Breckenridge from Colorado, wouldn't mind getting my hands on another bottle of that.

Oh, single malts.. One of my favorites remains Highland Park, from the Orkneys. Really approachable and, similarly to McCallan, kind of incorporates all the best parts of single malts.

You guys get into Rye at all? Templeton, Whistle Pig, Willett..

Let us know how it turns out!

Did it! Got Highland Park 12 , (65.00), not too bad. 2 special glasses (10.00) did not know i needed those but the lady said it was a must.... Paid for the tattoo 350.00....yikes. But his smile? Priceless.... Between grunts while the outline is bring done!!!! Thanks to everyone for your help. I pulled it off! And i am broke until next pay day......

Wiser's Canadian Whisky ALL FUCKIN' DAY

Well, we work in Windsor ontario. Guess what they have here? Wiser distillery ( hiram walker is niw own by french investors) So i went with something more exotic lol. But you are welcome to visit that place! It is very classy, with huge brass and wooden doors , and i heard the tastings are out of this world.