Email Correspondance Between Artists and Collectors

Mitch Wood

Have you actually done a portrait of Austin Osman Spare?

Cause that would be incredibly rad.

Yeah, I did, thanks. It was a while ago, before I had a digital camera. If I still have a photo, it's in the bottom of a box somewhere. I dont think it was technically accomplished though.

I only got to do it because someone saw a set of 20th Century occult flash I did and picked the portrait of AOS. I've tattooed sections of his automatic drawings and some of his sigils too.

I thought it was cool too (except the sigils, that seemed to defeat the purpose)

As a geek note to the mystical/occult interested: Frith Street Tattoo is within 15 minutes walk of the birthplace of Austin Osman Spare and around 5 minutes walk from the birthplace of William Blake. Crowley lived in various locations a further 20 mins walk west. (I use walking times because in central London driving takes longer)

Yeah, I did, thanks. It was a while ago, before I had a digital camera. If I still have a photo, it's in the bottom of a box somewhere. I dont think it was technically accomplished though.

I only got to do it because someone saw a set of 20th Century occult flash I did and picked the portrait of AOS. I've tattooed sections of his automatic drawings and some of his sigils too.

I thought it was cool too (except the sigils, that seemed to defeat the purpose)

As a geek note to the mystical/occult interested: Frith Street Tattoo is within 15 minutes walk of the birthplace of Austin Osman Spare and around 5 minutes walk from the birthplace of William Blake. Crowley lived in various locations a further 20 mins walk west. (I use walking times because in central London driving takes longer)

Cool stuff!

Very cool man.

When I first started getting into reading about the turn of the century Occult stuff Spare was one of my favorites. Until I started reading about Parsons in the 1940s... Still need to get a Parsons tattoo.

Ahhhh shhhhiiittt! I really wasn't expecting this much gold to come out this little thread. @Stewart Robson Thanks for the advice. As a young person with little to do/keep track of, I find it hard sometimes to remember other people have lives with a lot of things to juggle etc. You're totally right about the Instagram thing too. I think a lot maybe people fail to see it as it is for most tattooers, a marketing tool,not some fun little place to share pictures of your shoes and such.

@Jennifer Stell I hope you don't see this thread as a dig on you, or Richard. I know you guys are busy, and in fact you're right. I wasn't just referring to you guys. Mostly, I just wanted an experienced view on the essential information needed to convey serious intent. I know you guys are busy doing exciting things for yourselves and for tattooing as a whole. I'm pumped to continue corresponding with you. I look forward to meeting you and Richard, and I can't wait to have some Stell on my skin!

Whoever said that mentioning past travelling you've done to get tattooed helps show you're serious is on the money I think. I usually get replied to fairly soon, at least in my experience.

The only person I've had trouble with is one artist who did an exceptional heavy black traditional flash set I wanted to buy a set of, but couldn't get any replies from him about a shipping price to Australia. I don't know if just directly depositing a random amount of cash in his paypal would have worked?

I think most of us were guessing Richard or Chad K even though they both technically do have shops. I can't think of anyone else that travels that much.

Only one I could think of was Boog....and he is pretty accessible as far as email!

Richard posts up here all the time and Jenn has always been really good about getting back to me at least!

Chad is a hard one to keep up with.....this is true.....lol

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes when your corresponding through email the tattooist has a hard time seeing that. I say that just so they can see I'm serious and not just window shopping.

Point taken....

Whoever said that mentioning past travelling you've done to get tattooed helps show you're serious is on the money I think. I usually get replied to fairly soon, at least in my experience.

The only person I've had trouble with is one artist who did an exceptional heavy black traditional flash set I wanted to buy a set of, but couldn't get any replies from him about a shipping price to Australia. I don't know if just directly depositing a random amount of cash in his paypal would have worked?

Did you try getting that book from Tattoo Elite International? They sell it there, if it's the book I think you're talking about, and I'm pretty damn sure.

Did you try getting that book from Tattoo Elite International? They sell it there, if it's the book I think you're talking about, and I'm pretty damn sure.

The set I was chasing is by Ron Henry Wells and I can't see him on Tattoo Elite International, but I did just find a heap of other sets I like. Thanks!

My personal experience has shown me that it's pretty pointless to use email. Granted, none of the tattooers I've tried to reach are on tv or web series, so I wouldn't know what it's like trying to get a hold of Ami James or KVD. Each time I would email tattoers, they would respond within in the week and tell me to come so that we can speak one on one.

I really can't blame asking someone to come in. I can't imagine the number of emails they receive, and I'm sure 90% of them are lookie-Lous or people who want a sleeve for $150.

My personal experience has shown me that it's pretty pointless to use email. Granted, none of the tattooers I've tried to reach are on tv or web series, so I wouldn't know what it's like trying to get a hold of Ami James or KVD. Each time I would email tattoers, they would respond within in the week and tell me to come so that we can speak one on one.

I really can't blame asking someone to come in. I can't imagine the number of emails they receive, and I'm sure 90% of them are lookie-Lous or people who want a sleeve for $150.

Most people on this board are traveling across country to get tattooed or dealing with tattooers that are traveling the same distance. Going into a shop is ideal and yeah if it's possible I would say do so, but at some point if you want the business of serious tattoo enthusiasts, you have to use some sort of correspondence tool to arrange appointments.

Working at a shop with mostly local customers I have not been used to answering emails, but lately have had a few people traveling from out of town to get tattooed. I know it can be stressful on the customer and it's definitely stressful on the shop end not being able to sit down and have a face to face with client, and just hoping they like the drawing. But at the end of the day it feels good, especially when you know people have traveled from a city full of talented tattooers and will take the added stress any day of the week.