Tattoo artist banned from career day

SStu

I'm at work right now and can't watch this, but is this such a bad thing? Seems to me that if people want to tattoo they'll figure it out (maybe the proper way with an apprenticeship, maybe not) but there's no good reason to encourage people to tattoo.

I take this more as the school not viewing tattooing as a respectable profession. That's just wrong imo.

I take this more as the school not viewing tattooing as a respectable profession. That's just wrong imo.

That's tattoos. Doesn't matter how good your tattoos are, who did them, how much you spent on them, some people are still going to see you as a lowlife because of them and that's part of the deal.

I read a story saying he was at the school for the previous two career fairs, and used the opportunity to talk about waiting until you were old enough to get work, sterility etc. Sounds laudable to me.

He's blaming other parents who thought he was promoting an 'alternative lifestyle'.

I mean, I guess he is, in a sense, but Jesus Christ - I would think the way a kid's mind works means this will have the opposite of the intended effect... Even if it were such an awful thing to get tattooed.

While I can understand some parents not liking the "alternative lifestyle" being promoted or their thinking it is a low-life job. What I cannot understand is these people causing such a fuss about it and getting this parent not to go. I would personally go out and see if they would complain about a Wall St. parent going there and explaining his destroying of people's financial lives.

Personally I'm fine with this. Don't need teens to be involved in tattooing. Wait until they grow up to learn about tattoos. I'm sure the school would ask a whiskey maker or a undertaker to leave too. Somethings belong in school some don't.

I am good friends with the owner of a funeral home and dated a funeral director before. I would also be pissed if parents blocked them too. All this PC shit bothers me, I mean eventually these super sheltered kids will be adults. Don't people even think of that?

I work at an elementary school. We have had a bar owner in for career day before. Bar owner vs Tattooer... Idk, both are legit careers. Undertaker too, though that would have scared me as a kid. I could see not allowing prostitutes & pimps in for career day ;-) but if I were the principal I'd let a tattooer talk about the profession for sure.

I work at an elementary school. We have had a bar owner in for career day before. Bar owner vs Tattooer... Idk, both are legit careers. Undertaker too, though that would have scared me as a kid. I could see not allowing prostitutes & pimps in for career day ;-) but if I were the principal I'd let a tattooer talk about the profession for sure.

I would say any job outside of "adult entertainment" should be ok.

That's tattoos. Doesn't matter how good your tattoos are, who did them, how much you spent on them, some people are still going to see you as a lowlife because of them and that's part of the deal.

That's why I hate people. I have thought worse of folks due to their tattoos, but they were rally awful tattoos. I mean it's not like the guy had white power tattooed on his forehead.

i think it may have to do with the area the school is in as well. I've been asked to come speak to my daughters gifted class to give a presentation on tattooing, both modern day and the various histories of it as well. this was a room full of 6th graders, and they had some very intelligent questions, not at all what you would expect walking into the room. I enjoyed the experience and i believe the kids got something out of it, other than tattoos are cool and i should go get one tomorrow. I believe the censorship that school is using is only going to harm those kids in the long run. tattooing would come a long way if more people were educated about what makes a professional tattoo worth waiting for. thats just my opinion tho...

If you deny kids anything, there will always be a sizable percentage of them that will go to the ends of the earth to seek it out, especially if it's "taboo". By making all this fuss, it'll just end up driving a few of those kids in that direction - and that would certainly include doin' it the hard way (scratchers, needle-and-india-ink, etc).

Maybe it's the fact that I wasn't brought up by helicopter parents, but I just think it's dumb to exclude someone who is willingly educating young people about his job, sterilization, and the general practice of tattooing. Chances are, kids are going to look for knowledge where ever they can get it, and when a parent tells them it's a seedy lifestyle they aren't going to understand the difference between a kitchen wizard and a professional artist. I mean, it's worked so well preaching abstinence, right? Teen pregnancies are down by an alarming rate! Oh, wait.

Our shop is located right across from our children's elementary school.A public- State of Alaska, board of education school.

We have been invited to participate in a display, question/ answer period for the past 2 years , and have attended.

I got the impression , but couldn't hear the video, that his children attend some sort of Fundamental ( Christian?) school. If that is the case, why would he even support and choose to have his children go to a school, whose ideas differ so greatly from his own.

We support our local schools and military and athletic teams etc. One year we donated a gift certificate and t shirt to the High School grad blast. The following year, the volunteer organizer said that because of parent complaints ( about promoting tattooing) they only wanted cash or tshirts vs gift certificates, to which we replied- absolutely not! We weren't going to support any group or organization which did not support us-- and I voiced my complaint to the head organizer. We received an apology and they graciously accepted our gift certificates.

Let parent's counsel their own children-- not everybody's

Hey now, nothing wrong with the mortuary sciences, sir.

One guy I went to HS with... we went to the same college and he did the mortuary science thing. He owns 2 funeral homes.. doing very well. I could have gotten into the trade myself, still kicking myself in the ass....

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Nah... its all about the shtiload of phone calls the superintendent would be getting from the small percentage of pissy stick up the ass parents... plain and simple.

Rob

I tell my kids that... get jobs where they deal with sick, bad or dead people. That shit never goes out of style. But do they listen? Nooooooo....

Rob

My dad told me that too and I worked summer jobs in a funeral home all through high school and after I started university. He also included music in that list too, but no-one makes any money from technical progressive polka...

I tell my kids that... get jobs where they deal with sick, bad or dead people. That shit never goes out of style. But do they listen? Nooooooo....

Rob

Very true. I always said I picked the wrong career path

My funeral home buddy said "Dude my business will never die. The dying is where I make the money"

My buddy who does repo "It's weird that the worse the economy does, the more money I have"

The owner of a pharmaceutical company I worked for said "Start a business in the three things humans can't live without. War, Drugs or Death." (Guy was stupid rich)

Some school rep came into the shop one time and tried to get us to go to some sort of career day type thing. I considered it for a second, but ultimately declined. I feel like their should be a little bit of nervousness and a element of perceived danger surrounding a tattoo shop. I always like the idea of the tattoo shop being off limits and the countdown till we turned 18 and the discussion what we would get when that time came. I didn't want to ruin it for those kids. Also I don't want a bunch of underage kids hanging out around the shop. They seem to see the big neon sign and those that are interested make it over there anyway, but not trying to start a daycare center. Maybe as I spend more time in this world my view will change, but that is how i see it now.