Delicious

For me, most of my friends have known what I've wanted for almost as long as I have, so they get the meaning behind it (not exactly rocket science, I have a Griffin on my arm, give you 3 guesses what my surname is). It's only ever strangers that ask, and like you guys it's most often the "how much & what does it mean" combo. I round down with the price, and love seeing their faces when they realise how much a good quality, relatively large tattoo costs. I never explain the full meaning but tend to give a rough outline, just enough for the person asking to be satisfied.

I don't really get the "meaning" question a lot, maybe partly because those TV shows aren't very popular around here..

I do however get the "how much did it cost" one and people always seem surprised to find out just how much ("what?! my guy can do your whole back for that price!")

Don't get annoyed really, but then again I haven't been tattooed for very long..

The main questions I've had about my lady head are:

Who is she?

Why do you have a massive womans head on your leg?

Fortunately she is based off a character in a book series I love so I can just go with that.

My next tattoo is going to be a deer head wearing a big fruit hat, so I have no idea what I'm going to tell people when they ask what that means, haha! I'll think I might have a bit of fun and make some stupid shit up. This thread is giving me lots of good ideas.

Hate the questions about cost! So rude!

• 2 weeks later...

The infoamouse Spider Web Elbow...Getting Pretty Tired of Folks who know little to nothing about Tattoos jumping in (during a general convo) and saying it means "you did time" or its a "jail house tat" BS! If the History books of tattooing are correct (Pretty sure they are!) with they're dates Bob Shaw was sleeved by Bert Grimm at 16 and both of his elbows are Spider webs. Did Bob Shaw do time at 15 come out go to Bert and say hey man just got out the pen so i need to get some spider webs tattooed on my elbows? I doubt it! I mean even when you google Spider Web Elbow everything states Aryan Brotherhood, Jail, BS, BS, BS. Sure maybe in Jail thats what it means. But here in the real world its just cool filler and I'm willing to bet when Bert Put them on Bob and whoever else. Dude was probably thinking just that "Hmm Spider webs now thats a cool idea for filler...I don't know if this was touched upon earlier in this thread but Said (During general convo) took place recently and it kind of sent me over the edge.

I think you should ease up a little & just get used to it. The more you get tattooed the more of that you get. If it doesn't mean anything fine, but some people prefer meanings behind their work. I for one, actually enjoy explaining the meanings behind my tattoos, especially because I have come to understand that I am essentially a walking billboard to people & I'm perfectly fine with that. It gives people a chance to see a little bit of me, it also gives me a chance to recommend the talented artists that I have had the privilege to get worked on by in which you know any artist would truly appreciate the recommendation as does the shop they work from.

A pet peeve on the other hand is people thinking they can TOUCH my tattoos. Like they really don't understand that it feels just like normal skin, & it boggles my mind to think that strangers take it upon themselves to just touch you because they're interested.

I will agree with you on the topic when it comes to some elderly people, or just people against tattoos. They aren't asking because they are intrigued & want to know more, they are probably asking you because they are assholes & they either have a gnarly look to give you or some words you won't appreciate. I pick & choose my battles at that point though. Some are worth ignoring & some are worth more of an earful.

Price wise, I don't usually share that information basically because of the point you made. People are blind when it comes to their wallets & what a tattoo actually costs & quite frankly it's none of their business. Notice how on Miami Ink or any of that crap the only thing they don't usually mention is the price.

My other half has a sleeve amongst other tattoos and during our travels in China and SEA people often would touch it (without asking... suppose its the culture) and ask whether it is real... that one I think is because people actually wear fake tattoo sleeves there... laugh or cry, but true story...

My other half has a sleeve amongst other tattoos and during our travels in China and SEA people often would touch it (without asking... suppose its the culture) and ask whether it is real... that one I think is because people actually wear fake tattoo sleeves there... laugh or cry, but true story...

I've re-read this a few times and I can't get it out of my head. Every time I read it, my first thought of "SEA people" are mermaids and crabs with Jamaican accents. ;-)

Topic wise, It's funny. I've had people touch my arms, grab me, compliment me, etc but rarely has anyone actually asked me what my tattoos mean or why I chose specific imagery. I guess seeing japanese tattoos on a japanese guy, everyone just assumes its a cultural thang or something.

I've re-read this a few times and I can't get it out of my head. Every time I read it, my first thought of "SEA people" are mermaids and crabs with Jamaican accents. ;-)

Ha ha ha! Sorry, bad habit to abbreviate and I struggle with punctuation... although I am amused, you are amused, so no harm done...

I get this a lot, because back in super duper drunk days I started a sleeve with a spider web on my elbow, and then blew the rest of the cash on beer. "Have you served time?" I get a whole lot.

Call me a lying carny, go on, because I always tell them yes. Then I go on about Alcatraz. Either they get that I'm messing with them, or they just nod because they're so freaked out. Get some history books! I'm 33, and Alcatraz closed in 1963, when I was pre zygote by 16 years.

Buncha silly people.

How much did it cost? "$170," Is my answer for everything.

When I get the "My Boy did this for..." I can relate. I have friends too, so I assume that someone is calling me "my boy" somewhere at that moment.

I like hearing about people's ideas too, it's inspiration to me. Even if they have really bad work. I met a guy with a "red neck skull" that was all sorts of awful, but he liked it. Bully for him. If it moves you it moves you, regardless. I figure it's my 'tude. I'm still humbled everyday that people would sit down in front of me and let me work on them. That smile I get... I don't have kids but I figure that's how a parent feels when the little tike takes a first step or throws a spoon and wails them in the head.

Go on and ask, I'm so damned gregarious you'll get an answer...

I only have 2 tattoos, although 2 more are scheduled over the next few months.

I don't mind the questions on why I chose a particular design. That can lead to an interesting conversation.

I don't particularly like the questions about cost. If I don't want people to know how much, my standard answer is "a lot". I do this with anything, not just tattoos. It gets annoying when they reply, well how much is "a lot" ? This happened last night. I ended up answering because it was a group of friends. They had no idea and were curious what tattoos cost.

I know what you mean. It was for that reason I got a pin-up girl on my forearm, clad only in high heels and a banner that reads, "blah,, blah,, blah,," I think the problem started with all of the reality tv shows about tattooing where every customer had a sob story about blah, blah, blah, and this tattoo represents blah, blah, blah, rebirth, blah, blah, blah,,,father,,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I will never understand why people give a shit what people think. Is what they are saying is valid then why be upset, accept the truth and deal with it. If what they are saying is not valid then who cares.

People have the right to have opinions, you have the right to ignore them. Choosing to let them bother you is purely your choice and a poor one at that. If you like what you chose to put on your body and you are an adult why are you allowing other peoples opinions upset you.

- - - Updated - - -

I only have 2 tattoos, although 2 more are scheduled over the next few months.

I don't mind the questions on why I chose a particular design. That can lead to an interesting conversation.

I don't particularly like the questions about cost. If I don't want people to know how much, my standard answer is "a lot". I do this with anything, not just tattoos. It gets annoying when they reply, well how much is "a lot" ? This happened last night. I ended up answering because it was a group of friends. They had no idea and were curious what tattoos cost.

What is so offensive about asking how much something cost. People ask friends how much their brand new car cost, or flat screen or new rifle etc and no one gets all up in arms. How is asking how much a tattoo cost any different.

I think it's rude when people ask how much did you pay..for anything. It's none of their business, and with my close group of people, it is never done...so then if it's divulged it's because the person has chosen to. For us, it's called respect. It's the same with why? questions. What the fuck do you mean why?, why? are you a Police Officer...I must insist to see your badge before answering any more questions. General respectful conversation should not consist of how much's and why's. But that's how we were brought up.

On the other token, and this has been discussed through these pages recently. If a person asks me how much my tattoos cost, then they're clearly not the type of individual I feel like associating with. It ain't about the money...it goes way further than a materialistic acquirement. It shows me how shallow a person is especially when the cost of tattoos is asked. they will never understand our lifestyle, now nor would I want them to.

Don't take me wrong. I'm not having a dig here. We are all taught a certain set of principles from an early age, and I do not believe that how strict I see certain things as being the pinnacle of expected behaviours. We're all very different with different expectations.

What is so offensive about asking how much something cost. People ask friends how much their brand new car cost, or flat screen or new rifle etc and no one gets all up in arms. How is asking how much a tattoo cost any different.

The way I look at it, tattoos are not something like a car or a TV that you can find online with an advertised price. Those are consumables, whereas tattoos are on your body and they are art (IMO). For me, asking about the price of my tattoo is the same as asking me how much I earn, or what my house cost. I think it's tacky. Good tattoos aren't cheap and I'm not comfortable telling people how much I have spent on them. I've done it once and it bit me in the arse, never again.

The way I look at it, tattoos are not something like a car or a TV that you can find online with an advertised price. Those are consumables, whereas tattoos are on your body and they are art (IMO). For me, asking about the price of my tattoo is the same as asking me how much I earn, or what my house cost. I think it's tacky. Good tattoos aren't cheap and I'm not comfortable telling people how much I have spent on them. I've done it once and it bit me in the arse, never again.

The whole adage of good tattoos aren't cheap is so overplayed. As if something that is inexpensive clearly cannot be good. I think its stobbish to think someone who doesn't have tattoos and knows nothing of them should know this apparent "unwritten" rule about asking what something cost. Have you ever stopped to think they think it looks really good and assume it must have cost a fortune. Maybe its just curiosity. Its no different than anyone say going into a different culture and possibly asking or doing things that to those in the know is offensive but to that person they have no ill will they are just curious and don't know it could offend some.

If someone ask what it cost for my hands, wrist etc not once have I thought "oh the nerve of that person, how dare they ask such a question regarding my magnificent artistic work" As I said before it stinks of being a snob to me.

The whole adage of good tattoos aren't cheap is so overplayed. As if something that is inexpensive clearly cannot be good. I think its stobbish to think someone who doesn't have tattoos and knows nothing of them should know this apparent "unwritten" rule about asking what something cost. Have you ever stopped to think they think it looks really good and assume it must have cost a fortune. Maybe its just curiosity. Its no different than anyone say going into a different culture and possibly asking or doing things that to those in the know is offensive but to that person they have no ill will they are just curious and don't know it could offend some.

If someone ask what it cost for my hands, wrist etc not once have I thought "oh the nerve of that person, how dare they ask such a question regarding my magnificent artistic work" As I said before it stinks of being a snob to me.

OK then. If you aren't willing to be genuinely interested in people's opinions and have an open dialogue with them that doesn't resort to name calling, then don't ask questions.

As I said before it stinks of being a snob to me.

That's a bold statement.

See, we all perceive things differently don't we? Because I may see a person who openly discusses how much something costs as either bragging or being a snob themselves who are more concerned with materialistic value.

Things, mean different things to different people.

That's a bold statement.

See, we all perceive things differently don't we? Because I may see a person who openly discusses how much something costs as either bragging or being a snob themselves who are more concerned with materialistic value.

Things, mean different things to different people.

Oh I get that and I see you're from Austrailia and I do know that generally discussing money, tips etc is frowned upon in a lot of other countries compared to the US and Canada. I was basing my answer off of what it would be in America. If I was basing it off of European or Aussie views I could completely understand why it would be considered rude or inappropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

OK then. If you aren't willing to be genuinely interested in people's opinions and have an open dialogue with them that doesn't resort to name calling, then don't ask questions.

I didn't call anyone names and I didn't ask a question I answered the original post. You think because I disagree with you that I am not open to dialogue. I don't need to agree with you in the least to have open dialogue with you.