Delicious

@Breakme is an Aussie too, so we're on the same page as this. Yes, different cultures do have different expectations, but don't worry...many people here haven't been brought up on that old time respect.

I concede that we will view this from a different vantage point.

No trust me I can see where you are coming from in regards to the respect issue. I would not ask that question to someone because I was raised in the south and there are something you just don't say or do because of old fashion traditions and ass whoopings BUT I know not everyone is raised like I was. Also I just in general don't get offended by things because it doesn't serve me any purpose to get all upset over words from generally someone I don't even know.

@WhyMista you asked what was so offensive about asking what tattoos cost. I gave an answer, you indicated my viewpoint was snobbish.

There are ways of communicating and sharing opinions on the internet that, even if your opinion differs, are still friendly. I didn't get that from you, therefore this is the last I will discuss with you on this topic.

@WhyMista you asked what was so offensive about asking what tattoos cost. I gave an answer, you indicated my viewpoint was snobbish.

There are ways of communicating and sharing opinions on the internet that, even if your opinion differs, are still friendly. I didn't get that from you, therefore this is the last I will discuss with you on this topic.

Oh sorry. I wasn't trying to be unfriendly. I was still in the mindset of going off of what is the norm here stateside. Most forums I'm apart of are primarily US/Canadian so it takes me a second to remember things are different elsewhere.

I also was meaning the whats so offensive more as a rhetorical question so thats why I asked what question did I ask. That was on me. I indicated your view was snobbish before I saw you were from Austrailia. Now it makes sense especially in light of the other thread I read about tipping and the fact most of my friends from the UK and Austrailia have markedly different views on things such as that than we do here.

Communication is not as easy as people take for granted at the best of times.

Add go the equation we have mixed cultural origins with the forum, add our only means of communication is exchanged through written form, it's easy to misinterpret a persons exact intention at times. I think @WhyMista has done very well in explaining what was meant which was taken, even by myself out of its original context.

And that, no matter where we come from is called respect. I can read that very clearly in between those lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, shut the fuck up. It's beer O'Clock here for me now.

Communication is not as easy as people take for granted at the best of times.

Add go the equation we have mixed cultural origins with the forum, add our only means of communication is exchanged through written form, it's easy to misinterpret a persons exact intention at times. I think @WhyMista has done very well in explaining what was meant which was taken, even by myself out of its original context.

And that, no matter where we come from is called respect. I can read that very clearly in between those lines.

I agree. We even the best of us are used to speaking and assuming about our own culture and unless we pay specific attention to the fact that now forums are becoming more global we're bound to end up making assumptions that viewed by our own culture would seem to make sense while to others would seem ludicrous.

I will say this I am glad that while in school and as an adult I've been exposed to many cultures. I've had the pleasure of being in central America and Europe on more than one occasion, the last time was last fall so it helps me remember that although we all have a common bond be it with tattoos or speaking english we are very different in our own respects.

I think one issue that we as Americans have is that we don't have a culture so to speak. We are a conglomerate of everyone so there is far less tradition especially if you leave the southern states. Not so say that the west coast or east coast don't have respect but there isn't that underlying understanding that just because you can do/ask/say doesn't mean you should do/ask/say.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I'm drinking beer and eating red meat its well now the 5th of july but fuck it lol

@Breakme beer o'clock indeed. Time to savor beer, enjoy the after glow of getting another tattoo and hate you because I have an addiction to Aussie accents. I did however finally figure out the differences between AFL and rugby league and rugby union...ten days on a European cruise I was like the only American ah it was great. So funny how we UK/Aussies speak the same language but its a completely different form of the same language.

Yeah. AFL is ariel ping pong, Union is for poofs & league is a yobbos game.

And I'm lost again lol. Ariel you lost me. Poofs and yobbos I'm sure I get what you're saying. I actually still have some turns of phrases that I picked up from my UK friends. Apparently no one says lass or can't be bothered. If I win the lottery I'll just travel and get tattoos in every country I go to. Although I hate planes lol

I don't find the question, how much my tattoo cost, offensive. I'm just not comfortable answering it. Especially if I don't know you or it is one of my large expensive tattoos.

Like someone else stated, tattoos are artwork. In some cases, custom artwork that takes multiple sessions and adds up to costing a decent amount of money. For myself, there is a line that once something costs more than a certain amount of $, I'm not comfortable telling people. I think some people feel similarly, but each of us might have a different $ line.

Let's say you got a full back piece that took 10+ sessions, 50+ hours and you tipped the artist. Some stranger walks up to you on the street. Do you happily tell them the cost ? What if the person asking is a casual friend of a friend that you know is on hard times ?

Asking people how much their tattoos cost is rude, period, in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world for the reason @scubaron mentioned: it makes people uncomfortable. Note I didn't use the word "offensive." In any case I couldn't tell you exactly how much mine cost even if you did ask. I bring cash, wait until the end of the session and pay what they ask plus tip. I don't keep a running tally.

Asking people how much their tattoos cost is rude, period, in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world for the reason @scubaron mentioned: it makes people uncomfortable. Note I didn't use the word "offensive." In any case I couldn't tell you exactly how much mine cost even if you did ask. I bring cash, wait until the end of the session and pay what they ask plus tip. I don't keep a running tally.

That simply is not the case. I know more than one person with custom work who has no problem saying how long it took or how much it cost. Asking how much something someone values in the US is very common. How on earth do you know what makes people uncomfortable? You don't.

I ran into a friend on the train today who's considering getting a first tattoo. He didn't ask, but I would've been happy to tell him what my tattoos cost, since we were having a conversation and it might've made planning a bit easier for him. Friends who could reasonably and respectfully ask questions about expense almost never do (because they're smart enough to have considered that it might be rude unless there's a very specific reason to ask) - it's always the folks who are perversely fascinated or need another reason to disapprove.

That simply is not the case. I know more than one person with custom work who has no problem saying how long it took or how much it cost. Asking how much something someone values in the US is very common. How on earth do you know what makes people uncomfortable? You don't.

The question makes me uncomfortable and plenty of others in this thread as well. Agreed, some have no problem with it, but now that you know some don't like the question, why ask and potentially offend or make someone uncomfortable ?

I'm born and raised in NYC. A question like this is not common. You see a stranger on the street with a nice diamond ring. You are curious how much it cost. Do you walk up to them and ask ?

The question makes me uncomfortable and plenty of others in this thread as well. Agreed, some have no problem with it, but now that you know some don't like the question, why ask and potentially offend or make someone uncomfortable ?

I'm born and raised in NYC. A question like this is not common. You see a stranger on the street with a nice diamond ring. You are curious how much it cost. Do you walk up to them and ask ?

As I said earlier I won't ask someone that question because I do see why it can be construed as rude or inappropriate. However I don't find it offensive because if its someone who doesn't have tattoos or know anything about them they are most likely asking an innocent albeit naive and possibly offensive question. I liken it to how people ask me if I killed anyone in Iraq. Its a dumb question but its not asked out of malice or disregard for my feelings, its borne out of ignorance and ignorance is nothing more than a lack of knowledge.

That simply is not the case.

I would never ask you or anyone else if you've killed someone while serving in the military because it might make that person uncomfortable -- hence: rude. But I thank you for your service.

No one is saying "offensive" except for you, but there are about a dozen people on this thread alone who have explicitly said it's rude or annoying to ask about cost -- so why are you still trying to argue this point?

I would never ask you or anyone else if you've killed someone while serving in the military because it might make that person uncomfortable -- hence: rude. But I thank you for your service.

No one is saying "offensive" except for you, but there are about a dozen people on this thread alone who have explicitly said it's rude or annoying to ask about cost -- so why are you still trying to argue this point?

Because I personally don't take issue with it. I don't find it rude when its done out of innocence. I don't find it rude for someone to ask questions that in my mind and to those who are in the know are rude because they simply don't know. I judge a question based off of the persons experience. Why do I argue it because I can and because while yourself and many others here may hold this view I know many people who do not hold this view and thus I am representing that

I know you don't but other people do -- and that's the point. Is that really so hard to grasp?

What part of you and others here who find it bothersome are not the only people on the planet do you not get. You do realize there are others besides the small group who agree with you in the world right.