Delicious

I know you don't but other people do -- and that's the point. Is that really so hard to grasp?

I get your point and others, I merely want to represent those who don't feel the same as you. Not everyone is bothered in the least by these questions. If I agreed with you or the others would we be having this conversation? I doubt because while I do not agree that ALL Americans feel this way I do acknowledge that some and hell maybe most do feel this way.

I however think that those who are not bothered are underrepresented. Like I said I don't think most have any ill will and thus I don't mind stupid questions. If someone asks me did I kill someone in Iraq I could get mad but for what, they asked innocently. Same as with tattoos. Unless you have malice in your heart I don't get upset.

Money is a sensitive topic. ALL Americans don't feel the same way about anything... But for many, talk of money or how much we spent on things can make us uncomfortable. If if doesn't make you uncomfortable that's great for you, but just know if you are planning to ask others they may answer politely but still feel uncomfortable without you realizing it. If it's your close friends and family that's usually fine. Although I wouldn't want my mom asking me because she hates tattoos.

When my husband and I bought our house, the first time we met our neighbor across the street, the first thing he asked was, "What'd you pay for it?" We answered because it's information you can find publicly on zillow.com anyway, yet we walked away from the conversation thinking that guy was rude. How about a "hello and welcome to the neighborhood" for crying out loud?!!!!

I don't like talking about how much I paid for my tattoos either because it's a personal thing. To some people I spent too much. Clearly it was worth it to me. If they are really curious or want to know because they are saving up for their own tattoo I'm happy to tell them the artist's general hourly rate. I guess it really just depends on who's asking and why! Nothing is black and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get your point and others, I merely want to represent those who don't feel the same as you. Not everyone is bothered in the least by these questions. If I agreed with you or the others would we be having this conversation? I doubt because while I do not agree that ALL Americans feel this way I do acknowledge that some and hell maybe most do feel this way.

Thank you. FWIW I never said "all" people; I said some -- so why not err on the side of caution and be polite? Also keep in mind that some people might find a comment rude or offensive but keep it to themselves to avoid a confrontation. I am generally one of those people.

BTW I don't like snobs either.

Thank you. FWIW I never said "all" people; I said some -- so why not err on the side of caution and be polite? Also keep in mind that some people might find a comment rude or offensive but keep it to themselves to avoid a confrontation. I am generally one of those people.

BTW I don't like snobs either.

Well like I said I would not ask that question. I have friends I've known since HS who have tattoos and I've never asked how much they paid for them. Not because I think it would offend them but because it never crosses my mind to ask. If someone finds something rude or offensive and then does not inform the other party that it was bothersome then they have no one to blame but themselves. The fact is to people who do not have tattoos or understand why we get them its merely another thing people do with their disposable income. They see getting a tattoo in the same vein as getting a new tv, car, cell phone, xbox whatever. Expecting people who have no real knowledge or desire regarding tattoos to know the unwritten rule about not asking how much something cost is just silly.

Every subset of people or niche group have rules or etiquette and unless you are part of said group or are interested why on earth would you know the do's and don'ts? It all comes down to intent, if someone is simply ignorant about something I am not going to get offended over it or get upset with them, just as when I travel to Europe or other countries I would hope that if I make an honest and innocent cultural mistake I wouldn't get crucified.

I just think its a bit silly to expect people to know this could be offensive when people with far more tattoos than I have didn't know it was taboo.

If someone finds something rude or offensive and then does not inform the other party that it was bothersome then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Wrong. Good manners are about not putting people in the position of having to say, "How rude!" I agree that good -- or not bad -- intentions count for something, but not everything. A wise person thinks about what he/she says before they say it. I'm sure you don't say every damn thing that pops into your head.

The fact is to people who do not have tattoos or understand why we get them its merely another thing people do with their disposable income. They see getting a tattoo in the same vein as getting a new tv, car, cell phone, xbox whatever. Expecting people who have no real knowledge or desire regarding tattoos to know the unwritten rule about not asking how much something cost is just silly.

IT'S NOT JUST TATTOOS!!! It's rude to ask someone how much they paid for their new car too -- but that's not a great example because everyone has a vague idea of how much cars cost. It's more like walking into a person's house, looking a painting on the wall, and saying, "Nice art. How much you pay for it?" Because it's rude. (Close friends and family might be the exception to the rule, but I try to be polite to them too.)

Now can we please stop talking about this and get back to tattoos? I'll even let you have the last word.

Now can we please stop talking about this and get back to tattoos? I'll even let you have the last word.

:cool:

Yes.

Do some people start out with a tattoo that has personal meaning and then evolve to getting tattoos just for the experience or collecting ?

Yes.

The reality shows have perpetuated this myth that every tattoo has to have some deep, personal meaning instead of just looking bad-ass. Getting a black panther because you like the image? Perfectly valid and some purists might say, better.

One of the reasons I love Japanese-style tattoos is that they already have a built-in meaning -- like a koi leaping the waterfall represents aspiration or perseverance, or the cherry blossom signifies the fragility of life or whatever. These are things I can relate to on a deep, personal level without having to say I got a hydrangea bush because my dead grandma planted one in her backyard (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I wonder if sometimes people want to assign meaning to their tattoos as it validates them choosing to be tattooed, if that makes any sense. Maybe being able to say it's a tribute to who/whatever makes it more acceptable to have a tattoo than just getting one because they want one. I've noticed that I've been asked "why" a lot (after "did it hurt", always an odd question!), as if a "sensible" reason is expected.

Maybe that ties in with @scubarons point. I wonder if some people need an excuse to get the first tattoo, as maybe they see it as a big deal. Maybe it becomes easier to just get them once you've broken that barrier.

It may not seem so to people with lots of tattoos, but getting a tattoo is a big deal. The barrier to that first tattoo is enough to deter most people, although it is less frightening nowadays than in the past. We may make light of it but it still remains a permanent modification of one's body. And a very deliberate one, too. You gotta arrange a time to do it, have an image or word in mind, find an artist, have money, and so on. A catalyst of some kind is required to overcome that first tattoo "barrier". I went through the same thought process - first tattoo has to be super meaningful etc. and it took me almost 10 years before I finally took the plunge and got a little baseball sized tattoo.

I heard someone say once that the first one takes a mile, the next one takes an inch. And it's true, once that bug bites it bites hard :cool:

I wonder if sometimes people want to assign meaning to their tattoos as it validates them choosing to be tattooed, if that makes any sense. Maybe being able to say it's a tribute to who/whatever makes it more acceptable to have a tattoo than just getting one because they want one. I've noticed that I've been asked "why" a lot (after "did it hurt", always an odd question!), as if a "sensible" reason is expected.

Maybe that ties in with @scubarons point. I wonder if some people need an excuse to get the first tattoo, as maybe they see it as a big deal. Maybe it becomes easier to just get them once you've broken that barrier.

Very good explanation.

For me, it's also a way to help decide what tattoo to get. There are so many cool bad ass tattoo subjects, but I'm not ready for big coverage. Having a meaning/connection to the subject narrows down the choice.