Blackwork and Dotwork tattoos

And honestly, depending on where you are in Canada, it might be best to travel out of the country for a tattoo like this anyway because there are only two people that I know of in Canada who do it well.

There's Cory Ferguson in Oakville, ON: corytattoos.com

And Mikel in Victoria, BC, though he's more towards the tribal end of things: Custom tattoos by Mikel - 4 Truths Tattoo Sangha - Victoria B.C.

Tribal armband anyone?

• 10 months later...

This is a style of tattoo that I really like. Obviously there are those who do it phenomenally well and those who seem to jump on the band wagon. For those who are looking into the style for the first time and don't know where to start then the artists mentioned in previous posts are really good but also the Black Tattoo Art books by Marisa Kakoulas and published by Edition Reuss are fantastic. Looking through them I found a lot of really interesting artists and ultimately went and got a calf piece done by Patrick Huttlinger who is now based in Germany. There's a picture of the piece in my gallery or below just here:

117_thumb.jpg

Tomas Tomas just got on Instagram: Instagram

I really hate that Dotwork Damian tattoo posted above. It looks like a grandmother's lace doily.

Good shout - Followed , love Tomas Tomas , Love that Patrick Huttlinger piece you have @MrToby ! I'll post my Tibetan Skull that Ema Sweeney done once healed . I would love to get work from Nathan Kostechko Instagram

Forgive my ignorance. I just go my 1st tattoo a month ago and I am trying to learn the correct terminology and style differences so I can be respectful of the art.

What's the difference between tribal, blackwork and dotwork tattoos ? If a tattoo has geometric symbols or designs like a doily or mandala does that automatically fall into a specific style ? What if the tattoo is solid no dots or has some color or has a mixture ?

Forgive my ignorance. I just go my 1st tattoo a month ago and I am trying to learn the correct terminology and style differences so I can be respectful of the art.

What's the difference between tribal, blackwork and dotwork tattoos ? If a tattoo has geometric symbols or designs like a doily or mandala does that automatically fall into a specific style ? What if the tattoo is solid no dots or has some color or has a mixture ?

In my mind, blackwork is more of a generic name for all the categories of (mostly) non or minimal grey included styles, kind of like the way "traditional" has several sub-styles. Hell, there are several categories of tribal.

Thanks a lot @Gregor. How is your skull from Emma looking?

I agree with @SStu, blackwork is more of a generic name that covers a lot of different styles. The important thing for me is that it separates the style more clearly from more traditional black and grey work like chicano and realism. Tribal certainly I feel should have its roots in the imagery of countries like New Zealand, Samoa, Borneo and various others. Obviously there are modern interpretations of these by people like Leo Zulueta, Chris Higgins, Brent McCown and others, but it has its roots in ancient cultures.

It's one of those things though that the more you look at various artists work the more you will get used to what fits where.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How well does this style mesh with other styles specifically traditional styles in particular. I've recently gotten a mandala piece done on my forearm and i'd like to incorporate some old school tattoos into my sleeve im working on. The mandala piece if mostly black so i figured i would keepy most of my other tattoos B&G with light accents of red and etc. Opinions would get greatly appreciated!

imgur: the simple image sharer

How well does this style mesh with other styles specifically traditional styles in particular. I've recently gotten a mandala piece done on my forearm and i'd like to incorporate some old school tattoos into my sleeve im working on. The mandala piece if mostly black so i figured i would keepy most of my other tattoos B&G with light accents of red and etc. Opinions would get greatly appreciated!

imgur: the simple image sharer

I Would say it mixes pretty well i got some dotwork On my leg. With some oldschool conecting next to it. Also on my throat I got dot work connecting to realism and old school roses post-37519-146168865833_thumb.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk