Rib cage for first tattoo

Ray Karpis

I don't have my ribs tattooed, that area makes me nervous, just like the feet, but I have my neck both hands and my chest. I think it all depends on how you sit (through it). I know my artists don't mind doing the ribs but someone who isn't very confident might not be the person to go to. Just remember that everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I'd be nervous about getting that area done. Good luck though!!!

I don't have my ribs tattooed, that area makes me nervous, just like the feet, but I have my neck both hands and my chest. I think it all depends on how you sit (through it). I know my artists don't mind doing the ribs but someone who isn't very confident might not be the person to go to. Just remember that everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I'd be nervous about getting that area done. Good luck though!!!

I love that you have a neck tat, but the ribs make you nervous! How did you psyche yourself up for the neck?

you have both hands and your neck tattooed but nothing on your arms?

5 hours on a ribcage for 1st tattoo? Not something I would usually say is a great idea, but hey go for it. My experience with tattooing people there for their first time is that they have an absolutely miserable 1st experience(esp for something as big as that). There are exceptions from time to time, but we are talking a ratio of 50:1 at best. Everyone says "well I can do it, it can't be THAT bad". And to a certain degree, that's right. You can do anything you put your mind to. It's just that they have no relative scale to judge it by, so they have no idea what to expect. Ray, on a 1 to 10 scale a upperarm or calf or even thigh its a 1, 2 or 3 vs a ribcage which is no less than a 9.

My advice is a different place that is easier to endure (like side the places mentioned) for a design like that anyway(if it is a lady head if I read this correctly.

just wanted to say that everyone here posting about your somewhat mild rib tattoos must be super tough guys. hats off to you for your spirit.

Looking at your guys work it very much reminds me of the stuff Marco Serio does and I would be inclined to save my ribs for something bigger like a badass Fujin or Raijin or even the tiger and roses in his facebook profile .

Personally I think a girls head is more suited to the spots others have mentioned even without the pain factor .

At the moment I am booked for five sessions on my ribs in the new year, and I've been thinking that I want to do my back instead and I'm going to talk to my artist about that when we have our second consult in December, but this thread makes me never want to do my ribs ever. Thanks for scaring the shit out of me, guys.

It's likely going to be back anyway (you know because that's going to be super fun because it isn't like a huge part of my back is ribcage or anything like that) because I initially wanted a big (ie armpit to thigh) tiger but now I am thinking tiger vs snake which I think is too much for the ribs but would make a really great backpiece, but mainly I have decided that I just don't like pain.

It's likely going to be back anyway (you know because that's going to be super fun because it isn't like a huge part of my back is ribcage or anything like that) because I initially wanted a big (ie armpit to thigh) tiger but now I am thinking tiger vs snake which I think is too much for the ribs but would make a really great backpiece, but mainly I have decided that I just don't like pain.

If you don't like pain, by all means, go for a backpiece. Total cakewalk. :)

• 2 weeks later...
If you don't like pain, by all means, go for a backpiece. Total cakewalk. :)

Of the dozen sessions I've had on my back, the bookends were the worst--the first because it ran long and the last because my mental and physical state was shit. The ten in between don't stick out as being all that bad. Not to say I wasn't angry at the conclusion of a few. I tend to get irritated the longer I'm prodded with needles.

• 2 weeks later...

You aren't the first and won't be the last to get a rib tattoo. You will survive.

That being said I have both side tattooed. One made me cry a single tear (tattooer: cmon man i'm not even hitting you that hard with the shader haha) and the other side made me barf in my mouth at the spot where the rib meets the outside of the stomach. Just gross.

I would say go for it. When I got my first tattoo(well in recent times) due to the excitement, adrenaline and nerves I hardly felt a thing. Although i have only done my arms and leg every tattoo thereafter has hurt more. Athough i love getting tattoos, healing them looking in the mirror etc I'm now at the point where I'm driving to frith street just thinking I'm not looking forward to this I wish it could be over.

First tattoo excitment/nerves is a great pain killing drug.

• 3 weeks later...

Rib cage is a big deal - and especially for a first. As a long time tattoo artist, I would most likely say no. I have done many rib pieces, and I can say besides a few other spots - top of the foot, underarm, elbow - the ribs hurt. I have a pair of portraits that were done in a 9 hour session - split for dinner, by Bernie Luther in 89 or 90. I have my back done and have sat 9 hours in one session on that - but nothing felt like the ribs, however to play devils advocate - you must get what you want where you want. It just may not be the best place to start imo.

• 2 weeks later...