Rib cage for first tattoo

Ray Karpis

i got my side outlined last friday' date=' it sucked but i wouldnt say it was the worst i have felt by any means- though i only did about 90 minutes and took a percocet haha[/quote']

Nicely done, I will be interested to hear how things go with the shader.

Still booked for Jan. 21. Nearing 2 weeks out.

I definitely want to see the art before I go in...what's the etiquette on this and how far in advance would be normal to be able to review and make edits?

I'd say go now and see how far it has gone. I generally like to okay it a week prior to my appointment, so we can change things around if needed. The last 2 I had done, I supplied the artwork 100% and all she had to do was the stencils.

Rob

I've never seen my design before the day of the appointment and it's never bothered me! Different tattooers work at different paces - some really only do their drawings within 24 hours of the tattoo. It's all about how folks manage their workflow. So don't be alarmed if you can't see the design beforehand. Minor edits are very easy to make the day of.

And don't worry! Tattoo nerds like to bond over painful tattoo experiences but we all survive them. It will be fine, and the excitement will get you through.

All depends on the piece. For a major, covering lotsa territory piece, I totally agree with @Colored Guy, you should see the complete design and still have plenty of time to adjust it, whether that's a week, two weeks, whatever, will depend on the artist. For a smaller piece, yeah, I wouldn't sweat it-if it's just minor edits, they can be done on the fly.

All depends on the piece. For a major, covering lotsa territory piece, I totally agree with @Colored Guy, you should see the complete design and still have plenty of time to adjust it, whether that's a week, two weeks, whatever, will depend on the artist. For a smaller piece, yeah, I wouldn't sweat it-if it's just minor edits, they can be done on the fly.

I had previewed my dragon chest piece a week before and I basically deep-sixed the design. I really liked the artist (she's out of the trade now), but she had a habit of not listening and missed some of the elements I was looking for. So I sat with her for a while and we changed some of it around and we were both happy... at least I was.

I had no qualms about to walking out and cancel my appointments if I wasn't able to get what I wanted.

I have no problem with minor stuff on tattoo-day. Sometimes as the tattoo progresses, new ideas present themselves.

Rob

Anyone else prefer shading to lining? I always have the worst time on long lines, just draaaaaaaaaaaaagging that skin. Shading is kinda fun, here a zap there a zap everywhere a zapzap.

I think location is key. Lining on my tummy was no problem whereas shading was god awful. Then the chest/sides I could go all day with shading but the lining was horrible.

Back to the subject of ribcage tattooing...

I've got probably 70+ hours of work on me, so I'm no cherry. That said, I laid-down for just under three and a half hours with Nick Colella yesterday, and I tell you what, it did not feel nice. It was tolerable...but you'd best to have a high pain threshhold!

Did you get that skeleton greaser and panther tattoo?

Did you get that skeleton greaser and panther tattoo?

That would be me. Was gonna go for something completely different, but got to looking at la Senorita y el Tigre, and decided it had to match...kinda. Found the skeleton, sans clothes, on the net, and Nick sized the cat from the tiger to the panther. Pretty much hit what I wanted on the head.

@Dan S:

That.

Fucking.

Rules.

Seriously one of the coolest tattoos I've seen in a while (and I look at a lot of tattoos!). Congrats! And man, Nick busted that out in 3.5 hours? So fast, although I know it felt slow to you.

Thanks man!

Yeah, it was just under 3.5 hours-my boy can put down some ink! I am seriously in awe whenever I get work from him...never feels hurried, never hustles, just lays it in straight and steady. Broke once for about 10 betwixt lining and shading, and once for 5 at the very tail end when I was getting a bit raggedy, he laid some lidocaine on it to finish the last ten minutes or so.

I'll post it, but y'know, fucking January is a write off! So damn many seriously kool tattoos this month I just gotta wiat till February!!!

Thanks man!

Yeah, it was just under 3.5 hours-my boy can put down some ink! I am seriously in awe whenever I get work from him...never feels hurried, never hustles, just lays it in straight and steady. Broke once for about 10 betwixt lining and shading, and once for 5 at the very tail end when I was getting a bit raggedy, he laid some lidocaine on it to finish the last ten minutes or so.

I'll post it, but y'know, fucking January is a write off! So damn many seriously kool tattoos this month I just gotta wiat till February!!!

Don't want to offer too many insights into my thrilling domestic life here but when Nick posted that me and @Pugilist were trying to figure out if that was on you. She thought you'd posted that you were getting it done a couple of weeks from now. Looks really great!

With the tattoos people here get pretty much every month is a write off! We're not even a week into the new monthand look at what's been posted in the tattoo of the month competition so far. Utterly ridiculous.

Underarm, tricep, barely felt 'em. I've got work from my shoulders down to just shy of my wrist on both arms, and I never felt anything but a little sting from them. This is on a whole different leverl.

Not as bad as kneecaps, but a helluva lot more of it!

Underarm, tricep, barely felt 'em. I've got work from my shoulders down to just shy of my wrist on both arms, and I never felt anything but a little sting from them. This is on a whole different leverl.

Not as bad as kneecaps, but a helluva lot more of it!

Got both knees and both ribs done. Ribs were waaaaaay worse to me.