Rib cage for first tattoo

Ray Karpis

Got both knees and both ribs done. Ribs were waaaaaay worse to me.

Y'know, it's not like the kneecaps really hurt...hard to describe-it was like there was a direct line from my knees to my brain. By the time Nick was done with both of them, I felt like I was drunk-totally wiped out. Actual pain, yeah, I guess the ribs have it!

Ribs or belly? I'm having Corbin/Sylvia doing my ribs a month apart and am terrified.

A few years back, @mama_neta got tattooed by Freddy on her upper left arm, then remarked at how little it hurt. The next day, Scott tattooed her on her upper right arm. She made no such remarks.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I often get a bit apprehensive in giving a large rib piece to a person not that experienced in getting tattooed. I have had a few nightmares in my years of people just not able to sit still and go with it. I recently got a full side panel from a co worker and amazing artists and although i did sit well for 2, 3 hour sessions, not moving or whining, It was the most challenging tattoo to sit through and im pretty covered. full back, sleeves, chest panel ext. The outline which normally for me is the most uncomfortable wasn't to bad but the shading session really took my breath away and was hard to surrender and go with it.

The nightmare first timers rib clients ive had make me inquire more about the person during the consultation now. Having somebody quit halfway through an outline truly sucks and depending on the design can be next to impossible to align the stencil to the half done outline and free handing isn't always an option for truly detailed and symmetric designs.

IMO 5 hours is a long time to sit on the ribs but isn't un common. you just need to know yourself and how you deal with pain and difficulties. My advice is DONT try to grin and bear it, don't clinch up thinking youll just squeeze the ever living shit out of a friends hand. this will only make the suffering worse and drain your energy. You will never make it 5 hours unless you learn to just surender to the experince and go to a comforting place in your mind. Focus on your breathing and total surrender to what is. most of the suffering from a tattoo comes from not be able to just accept it.

Good luck but i agree get the tattoo where you want but if you feel oits going to be too much re consider placement. IMO ribs are quite easy to work on as an artist so im not sure where you got that info from concerning the quality being compromised there. Stomachs can be a bitch but a good artist and client working together for a big stretch to me is a easy day at the office.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned my GF getting tattooed by Forrest Cavacco in another thread. That was her first tattoo, and it was 2.5 hrs on her ribs. There's a pic on his instagram - a yellow chrysanthemum.

She was nervous going in, but got through it OK in the end. I think the anticipation because it was her first was the main cause of the nerves.

...When she gets around to some other spots at least most won't be any sorer!

I mentioned my GF getting tattooed by Forrest Cavacco in another thread. That was her first tattoo, and it was 2.5 hrs on her ribs. There's a pic on his instagram - a yellow chrysanthemum.

She was nervous going in, but got through it OK in the end. I think the anticipation because it was her first was the main cause of the nerves.

...When she gets around to some other spots at least most won't be any sorer!

im slightly confused. i thought your gf had some other tattoos as well? like wasnt she getting tattooed in japan when you were?

• 6 months later...

My first tattoo was on my ribs, and my artist gave me this look like, "it's your first tattoo, you want it on your ribs, and how big, are you crazy?" He thanked me for sitting really well for him - so I hope that it meant that I actually sat well and not code for "you sat horribly." My first session was 5 hours with 4 hours of active tattooing time (the hour lost was stencil application, a couple of breaks, and set-up time), second session was 3 hours of tattooing if I remember correctly. For me, the first 10 mins and last 20-30mins are the worst and the outlining is way way worse than the shading. I think the kidney area is worse than the ribs, so far...

• 2 months later...

I think you made a good decision by thinking this through so much. My first tattoo was on my ribs and I don't think the artist considered how it would look different depending on the position of my arm while tattooing. He had me put my arm over my head and so when my arm is down my tat looks distorted. I also think he didn't account for my breathing interfering with his line work. He told me to breath normally, so I did, but he has a lot of random lines that I think happened when he wasn't paying attention and I breathed in, causing him to hit my skin with the needle.

• 3 weeks later...