A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones

Jack

Anyone read or watch this series? Care to argue about theories, or complain about the inconsistencies between the books and the series? Guess when the next book will come out? Have any, or plan on any tattoos related to the series?

I love these books, and wondered why there wasn't a thread about this yet. I think the TV series has done a great job of interpreting them so far, and I think the way that A Storm of Swords is being broken up into two seasons of the show is smart partly because it buys George RR Martin more time to finish the next two books, and also it's going to get more and more difficult to fit a book in ten episodes without leaving too much out. Though I think as the series goes on there's probably too much padding there, a lot of which likely won't make it to TV. By that I mean he goes more into the history of Westeros and the various houses more than I feel he needs to. I kind of understand it because he's created this incredibly believable world that he's very clearly put a lot of work and thought into, but sometimes for storytelling purposes, it's maybe better that this stays more in the background unless it's directly relevant. Though considering how much of the books are based around the politics and history of his created world, maybe it does need to be there. I think his characters are amazing and so human, and that's what really makes the books for me.

As far as my tattoos go, I have a wolf head, a bear head, and a raven in progress, but none of those are related to the series. Though maybe if people ask me what they mean, they will be.

I love the books and the show. books way more though. Arya is kick ass, great female character, Love danaerys, she is a strong character and a force to be reckoned with. I really wanted a wolf head with the words "winter is coming" tattooed on me, but I figure I might grow out of it so no need to rush. In all, probably some of the best books I have ever read.

I love the books and the show. books way more though. Arya is kick ass, great female character, Love danaerys, she is a strong character and a force to be reckoned with. I really wanted a wolf head with the words "winter is coming" tattooed on me, but I figure I might grow out of it so no need to rush. In all, probably some of the best books I have ever read.

The wolf head is such a classic tattoo though and there are so many great variations on it, get it without the text and you're great.

Yes but for some reason the text just would make it perfect for me. Who knows though, I tend to mull over my tattoo choices for a long time because I have a limited amount of space I want to get tattooed, so I am waiting this one out. If I still want it in about 6 months, then I will see about getting it. it sucks wanting a career in the political side of things and then having a weight problem so alot of areas I cant tattoo... makes me especially choosy.

Btw this thread totally made me go grab the first book to read

I read the books first, and although I watched season 1 and thought it was slickly-done, I don't know that I'll watch the rest. For me, the joy of the series is in the twists-and-turns and sudden deaths. No-one is safe, and that's an under-statement. If you know the way the plot is going already then the same buzz just isn't there.

When I watched the TV adaption I found myself nodding along and thinking 'ah yes, I see how they shoe-horned that in there, nicely done', rather than (as I did when I read the book) going "shit, where the hell is this going... Is he really dead?" etc.

I think it's a testament to the strength of the source material that this series has made 'fantasy' acceptable to UK and Irish TV critics (a snobby bunch when it comes to genre stuff often, even when they like it).

I'm just getting into A Dance With Dragons, slowly making my way through the series, very fun read although sometimes I get distracted with faster paced books. I feel like the first season of the show was really great and true to form, while the second season seemed to go in a slightly different direction, which was welcome but a little unexpected.

Incidentally, although I've read the main novels, I haven't read any of the 'Dunk and Egg' novellas that George RR Martin has published seperately. Three so far, with another six planned (in theory). They're set before the events of ASOIAF, during the Targaryen reign, and follow a famous knight of the Kingsguard and his companion ... Or so I gather, anyway.

I kind of like how, as the books go on, Martin is sort of changing the history we 'think' we know from the early books. The Targaryens, exactly how evil they really were as a whole, and their fate etc. being a good case in point.

- - - Updated - - -

Just re-read that post. So nerdy.

Started reading the books a decade ago. Frustratedly waiting for more!

The series is about as good as a TV interpretation is going to get.

I was going to get the Stark sigil tattooed on my leg, still thinking about it.

The only thing i dislike is the Ironmen. They seem totally superfluous to the story.

I can't wait to see the Red Wedding. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@cltattooing, oh stop please! you're killing me! I saw a web article earlier about last night. I barely resisted. I must resist scrolling over your post! I musssst! The agonizing thing is I don't have cable TV, so will have to wait 6 months or however how long it takes to come out on itunes, to see this season. I'm just barely watching season 3 now. Please people, don't tell me someone pivotal dies in season 3! Ssssigh...

On the other hand it's episode 2, so how climactic can it be? As long as they don't kill Arya, I think I'm okay. If they do, it's over for me. I'm waiting for her to turn into a super ninja face changing assassin or one f'ed up nut job covered in gore, holding everyone's heads. I'm good with either.

I'm so tempted to see what you posted, cltattooing. Damn you!!! Ha ha! ;-)

@cltattooing, oh stop please! you're killing me! I saw a web article earlier about last night. I barely resisted. I must resist scrolling over your post! I musssst! The agonizing thing is I don't have cable TV, so will have to wait 6 months or however how long it takes to come out on itunes, to see this season. I'm just barely watching season 3 now. Please people, don't tell me someone pivotal dies in season 3! Ssssigh...

On the other hand it's episode 2, so how climactic can it be? As long as they don't kill Arya, I think I'm okay. If they do, it's over for me. I'm waiting for her to turn into a super ninja face changing assassin or one f'ed up nut job covered in gore, holding everyone's heads. I'm good with either.

I'm so tempted to see what you posted, cltattooing. Damn you!!! Ha ha! ;-)

no cable tv? solarmovie.so

there are pop ups but they have every episode youll want. even the new ones come on line with hours of release.

you have to always click on the smallest button on the page that says continue to movie...its a hassle to learn but once you get the hang of it its no problem at all

better for macs than pcs