• 2 weeks later...

Last winter i was able to see Dan higgs perform at Robert ryan's studio/apartment in Asbury park. At the time, I was staying at my dad's place in Bradley beach, a town away, so I walked over about a half hour before the show and got there before anyone else had really shown up. I went upstairs and entered this dark apartment illuminated only by candlelight, hazy with incense, decorated with eastern deities and inhabited solely by Bink himself, who was prepping for the show, and three huddled masses sitting in a circle in a shadowy corner, conversing and sharing a joint. I didn't recognize the two facing me, being of the traveller/hippie variety, but I recognized the voice of the bearded, sunglassed man sitting with his back to me as he said "and that's not when I SAW yellow, but I FELT yellow..."

I said to myself, "I don't do nearly enough drugs to get this shit", and i went and sat down by myself in the opposite corner.

That's my higgs story

• 2 weeks later...
I have never met the guy, but the one thing that I have noticed in all of the interviews that have been posted is that he is seems to be very funny. Much more comedian than guru. I also see that in his tattoos. This one I found awhile back and I think is a good example of his humor.

I've been looking at this Frankenstein daily for about the last 6 months. Such lovely lips. Cheers to everyone for their input on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I hung out with Sailor Eddie Jr most of the day on Saturday in Philly.......We pretty much had a 2 hour discussion on Dan when I mentioned not adding a tattoo of his to my collection, while I could have, was one of my major regrets! I got to see the 4 or 5 tattoos that Dan did on Eddie when the two worked together! Pretty amazing stuff.....and Eddie showed me a tattoo or two that he did on Dan! Some of the tattoos are in the TattooTime books put out by Ed Hardy!

It was a really cool discussion!

I'm not hating on homeboy, it's just all this gossip, praise, chitchat.

I see that a lot here, everything dan higgs does is brilliant, mike Wilson is "the best tattooer in the world," face tattoos are dumb but Corbin's are okay, tattoo shows are evil, but it's okay that Hendricks/peck is on it, etc, etc.

It's a little weird. To me at least.

I see that a lot here, everything dan higgs does is brilliant, mike Wilson is "the best tattooer in the world," face tattoos are dumb but Corbin's are okay, tattoo shows are evil, but it's okay that Hendricks/peck is on it, etc, etc.

I personally don't think everything Dan Higgs did was perfect and I think Dan even hated the big deal that was made about him.....at least that's what I walked away with from the convo I had with Eddie!

Also the tattoos he did on eddies I saw have held up well and do look amazing....light makes dark....dark makes light...I do wish I had added him while I had the chance!

Mike Wilson is definitely on my list of people to add to my collection but I personally figure the best tattooer in the world is probably some guy in a street shop somewhere.....a guy who none of us have even heard of....who pounds out solid tattoos day after day and could care less if anyone has ever heard of him because he loves what he's doing and could care less if his peers liked what he was doing or not!

I love well done face tattoos and have thought about getting one at some point once I decide what I want.....and if everyone thinks I am dumb for it I could care less! In fact my dragon tattoo being done on the side of my head (at the end of the month) may actually wrap around the front of my ear onto my face

And....I don't like any of the tattoo shows....no matter who is on the show!

It might make them a little more tolerable to watch but I still would prefer not see any tattooing on TV......but who am I to tell someone not to take the money they get offered to be on those shows!

I learned what i know from spending my hard earned money in tattoo shops and from friends who trust me with the info they have told me....they know I won't talk/share the info with anyone but them!

I have learned nothing from any of the shows I have seen and usually turn them off in disgust!

I know you were being general and not specifically talking about my post but I thought I would at least throw out how I feel on the subjects you addressed!

These are just my opinions of course.......

And I totally get what you are saying too!

But.....i do enjoy coming here and seeing others opinions on the subjects that are addressed and voicing my thoughts! I am very interested in the community even though i don't tattoo and here i can be a small part of it!

:)

Mike Wilson is definitely on my list of people to add to my collection but I personally figure the best tattooer in the world is probably some guy in a street shop somewhere.....a guy who none of us have even heard of....who pounds out solid tattoos day after day and could care less if anyone has ever heard of him because he loves what he's doing and could care less if his peers liked what he was doing or not!

I think you just described Mike Wilson?

I met dan a long time ago. he has become a folkhero because of his elusive character. he had great vision and understanding a long time ago. he like many of us, are just artists.if youre not interested ,dont comment,exactly,who cares?.we do. this sort of crap is for us.do you get it?

All this big deal about this dude. It's a little carried away I think.

What should we be discussing?

i think one of the main things that adds to the mystique of higgs is that he doesn't tattoo any more. not because he can't but because he chooses not to. he worked with some really talented folks and for most of us that do this, it's something that we'd probably find hard to give up if we had the same opportunities. also, it wasn't until after i started tattooing that i really even knew that he tattooed. i always knew him to be the singer in lungfish, it was only through diligent efforts that i was even able to obtain the lungfish albums back then and that was from working in a record store. back before the intervebs, if you didn't have an excellent book store or some type of real active art scene, you didn't get to find out about much that went on in the world. so i dig getting to hear stories about and from people who were there and got to work with him and it's obvious he had an impact on them. plus, in reality he is an important component in tattooing history due to those interactions. so rock on!