Hello from Texas! Can I get this covered??

Jepollock

Hi, my name is Justin and I live in the Houston area...I got this tattoo when i was 16 in 1996 and I'm really sick it. Do y'all think it's possible to get a traditional Japanese half sleeve (dragon or koi?) to cover? I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Hi, my name is Justin and I live in the Houston area...I got this tattoo when i was 16 in 1996 and I'm really sick it. Do y'all think it's possible to get a traditional Japanese half sleeve (dragon or koi?) to cover? I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Where in Texas do you live? I'm sure we can direct you to a good artist in your area.

Any tattoo, especially coverups are best decided on when talking to the artist that will be doing it. They will know what will work on the existing tattoo.

Welcome to LST

@slayer9019 in with the solid advice.

I am not aware of any of the shops in Houston, not saying there probably isn't a decent artist in the area. However...if you go to Austin...oh man. Too many great tattooers to choose from for Japanese stuff. Off the top of my head, Jay Chastain would be a real good bet, and you might not have to wait as long as you would to get in with Chris Trevino.

I've seen Chris Trevino's work and his online portfolio and it's amazing, but I think he has a really long waiting list and I would hate to set up an appointment a 6 months from now and be told he can't do it or I need some laser treatments. I guess I can just email him directly and see what he says. Thanks again for any suggestions!

I've seen Chris Trevino's work and his online portfolio and it's amazing, but I think he has a really long waiting list and I would hate to set up an appointment a 6 months from now and be told he can't do it or I need some laser treatments. I guess I can just email him directly and see what he says. Thanks again for any suggestions!

I would say the wait for a good tattoo seriously outweighs getting a third coverup! I would forget about assuming and shoot an email/phone call his way and see what the wait is, or even if there is any significant wait time. You never know he could be available, at least maybe for an appointment to see what needs to be done. While I am far from a tattooist I can say it does like kinda light which does work in your favor.

That being said, there might be other good artists in your area as well.

@CultExciter I forgot the "I" in that statement. I missed it

Since we are talking about Austin, why not Jason Brooks, I have been looking a lot at his stuff lately. Or Scott Ellis at triple crown.

I also think it's important to be patient to find a good tattooer, that you like to cover your tattoo and give you a tattoo you can be proud of. On the other hand, I can also understand not wanting to wait a year to get tattooed and there are plenty of guys who do top quality work who don't have huge wait lists. Whatever path you choose i hope this thread has helped.

Chris Trevino, Jason Brooks, Tony Hundahl, Jay Chastain. Chris will have the longest waiting list, but he is probably the best non-Japanese Japanese tattooer in the world. Jason Brooks is fucking incredible and unique. Jay Chastain is also a great tattooer. I just got tattooed by Tony about three weeks ago, and he told me he is usually only booked a couple of weeks in advance. I got a hannya mask from him and it is really nice. Ben Seibert works with Jason at Great Wave, and he is getting to be as good as the rest of them. Paco Cendon is also in Austin and does great work.

Also Rock of Ages just posted their upcoming guests which are Matt Arriola, Thomas Hooper, and Robert Ryan.

Welcome. As others have mentioned, do yourself a favor and take your time finding a quality artist. If you have lived with it this long I bet you can be patient. I am not artist but have seen my share of good cover-ups and I feel yours will be an easy one for the right artist. I am also looking forward to a cover-up(mine is a bit larger and darker)by Darcy Nutt here shortly.

Thanks guys, and I shot both of the artists suggested in the previous posts an email and I'll wait and see what they say. Sorry if my writing earlier was hard to read, I was posting on my iphone.

Awesome ! even if this is your only tattoo IMO well worth it to be wearing good tattoo. Nice to see your so open to suggestions and taking sound advice!

In Houston, the place I know of is scorpion studios. @danmartin is the owner. In Austin, you will wait for Trevino but you would probably have time to laser your tattoo to lighten it up. Chris probably won't cover it up but suggest to you to get it lighten first. Jason brooks and Ben Siebert both are good. Tony Hundahl and Jay Chastain are both great. Jay is really nice and has a good grasp of traditional Japanese tattoos.

IMO Chris is probably the best Japanese tattooer that is not Japanese in Texas. Rubendall, Hoyer, Lehi and some others can compete for best non Japanese tattooer that does great Japanese like, because it is with a machine, tattoos.