changing the way I see myself

else

Hi! First, I want to say that I really appreciate this forum. I've been intensively lurking here for a few weeks now and I love how sincere and respectful (most of) the posts/posters are. It seems to be a rare thing in forums like these for people to be genuinely helpful, nice, and laid back :)

So, Thanks to all of you who are here and contributing in such helpful ways.

I have this disorder which is causing the motor nerves in my legs to die off. This, of course, means that the muscles in my legs are working less and less and less... and it hurts.

For the past 2 or 3 years, as it's been getting noticeably worse, I've been HATING my legs. They let me down. They are betraying me by failing and by robbing me of my ability to do the things I used to love to do and the things I dreamed of someday doing.

A few months ago I started dreaming about getting more tattoos. (I have two now. Old. Not the best quality maybe but I love them anyway :))

I am planning now to start tattooing my legs. Sort of a "value-added" idea I guess. Over time they're becoming less functional, but maybe more beautiful? Definitely MINE.

And... total bonus... instead of feeling self conscious about people watching the way I walk I can choose to believe that they're admiring my tattoos!

So. That's it. That's why I'm here. I am excited to start.

Hi! First, I want to say that I really appreciate this forum. I've been intensively lurking here for a few weeks now and I love how sincere and respectful (most of) the posts/posters are. It seems to be a rare thing in forums like these for people to be genuinely helpful, nice, and laid back :)

So, Thanks to all of you who are here and contributing in such helpful ways.

I have this disorder which is causing the motor nerves in my legs to die off. This, of course, means that the muscles in my legs are working less and less and less... and it hurts.

For the past 2 or 3 years, as it's been getting noticeably worse, I've been HATING my legs. They let me down. They are betraying me by failing and by robbing me of my ability to do the things I used to love to do and the things I dreamed of someday doing.

A few months ago I started dreaming about getting more tattoos. (I have two now. Old. Not the best quality maybe but I love them anyway :))

I am planning now to start tattooing my legs. Sort of a "value-added" idea I guess. Over time they're becoming less functional, but maybe more beautiful? Definitely MINE.

And... total bonus... instead of feeling self conscious about people watching the way I walk I can choose to believe that they're admiring my tattoos!

So. That's it. That's why I'm here. I am excited to start.

That is one hellva way to make lemons out of lemonade. I personally never cared for the way I looked so I say why the hell not lets make it look cool. (Tattoos help in that regard for sure).

Are you interested in any particular artists at the moment?

I have a HUGE list of people I'd like to be tattooed by!

Honestly, I'm more interested in getting good tattoos that I like to look at than any particular imagery. The things I love in real life are more art nouveau and illustration... but from looking at a lot of tattoos I'm finding that I don't particularly care for "realism". I do like clean sharp lines and strong colors.

I'm a traveling speech therapist - which means that I go for ~3 months at a time *somewhere* to work. I've been working a lot in Texas lately. I'm taking about a month off after next week, and I'm not really sure where I'll be after that, but if I'm back in Texas I plan on making a trip to Austin.

- - - Updated - - -

:) LOL! @Graeme I've considered the squid pants! Really I have!

Realistically though, I think that because of my work status it would be hard... I don't know where I'm going to be more than 3 or 4 months ahead ever.

I'm probably going to go for more of a mish-mash. A high quality mish-mash I hope.

Else, welcome, and I loved your post. I am glad tattoos can be so transformative for you. While I am not dealing with anything on the scale of what you're dealing with, I feel like getting tattooed has changed my own relationship with my body too, only for the better. Taking ownership and all that. Can't wait to see what you get!

These are the posts I like to read. Your positive mental attitude is an inspiration and should be a reminder to the thread peeps why we are a part of this community. I was recently in a violent accident and realizing how fragile life, I also have started pants. Good luck and look forward to seeing your future work.

Edited by Idahoink
spell

• 3 weeks later...

Update: It totally worked!

I was a little worried that I would get a leg tattoo and still hate my legs...

But I've spent pretty much every waking moment since I got my raven-girl staring at my leg (and pictures of my leg) with absolute adoration.

I <3 my leg!! Yay!!

Also - I figured out the probable reason *why* I've been persistently dreaming about leg tattoos. My motor nerves are dying but my sensory nerves are fine. However, because of the motor damage my sensory nerves are freaking out pretty much all the time and I have a constant pins and needles/sunburn feeling from my ankles to my knees. It's much worse at night (like a toothache I imagine, worse when there's nothing else to think about).

Anyway, as soon as he started I realized that the sensation was just a notch stronger than what I've been feeling all the time anyway.

And - I learned to trust my tattooer. I had gone in initially telling him "I don't really care, do whatever you want". And then we had talked about a few things and kind of nailed down an idea or two. When I came in to get the tattoo the drawing he showed me wasn't what we had talked about at all and my initial thought was to cancel altogether. But then I thought on it for a minute and recalled that I had told him that he pretty much had free reign to do what he wanted so I went with it even though it wasn't what I had expected it to be. And it is AWESOME! Better than I ever imagined and I couldn't be more pleased with the thing.

And now I want more ;)

Update: It totally worked!

I was a little worried that I would get a leg tattoo and still hate my legs...

But I've spent pretty much every waking moment since I got my raven-girl staring at my leg (and pictures of my leg) with absolute adoration.

I <3 my leg!! Yay!!

Also - I figured out the probable reason *why* I've been persistently dreaming about leg tattoos. My motor nerves are dying but my sensory nerves are fine. However, because of the motor damage my sensory nerves are freaking out pretty much all the time and I have a constant pins and needles/sunburn feeling from my ankles to my knees. It's much worse at night (like a toothache I imagine, worse when there's nothing else to think about).

Anyway, as soon as he started I realized that the sensation was just a notch stronger than what I've been feeling all the time anyway.

And - I learned to trust my tattooer. I had gone in initially telling him "I don't really care, do whatever you want". And then we had talked about a few things and kind of nailed down an idea or two. When I came in to get the tattoo the drawing he showed me wasn't what we had talked about at all and my initial thought was to cancel altogether. But then I thought on it for a minute and recalled that I had told him that he pretty much had free reign to do what he wanted so I went with it even though it wasn't what I had expected it to be. And it is AWESOME! Better than I ever imagined and I couldn't be more pleased with the thing.

And now I want more ;)

I am super happy for you that you got a great tattoo and that it did what it needed to do. We can't choose our bodies, but we can make them more beautiful with tattoos.

@else how did I miss this?! So stoked for you!

I'm so stoked too! :)

I truly couldn't be happier with it. And I'm so excited to move forward and get more.

I owe the artist (Levi Hatch at Think Ink in Norman, OK) a debt of gratitude. He had the vision and then the skill to execute it. And he was so nice and easy to spend 5 consecutive hours with. He made it a great experience and got me off on the right foot.

@SStu - now following Nate Beavers on Instagram and will definitely try to book something if I end up in Houston.

Right now it looks like I *may* end up in a tiny town about an hour outside of Austin. Nothing is signed yet, but that would be cool. I've heard Austin is a lot like Portland (except for being in Texas) ;-)

@SStu - now following Nate Beavers on Instagram and will definitely try to book something if I end up in Houston.

Right now it looks like I *may* end up in a tiny town about an hour outside of Austin. Nothing is signed yet, but that would be cool. I've heard Austin is a lot like Portland (except for being in Texas) ;-)

It's also a bit like the French Quarter, but less touristy stuff and more centrally located local (and cheap) music. If you end up there you should also check out Jeff Ensminger at Tattoos