Planning a London Visit

Reyeslv

From March 3rd to 11th, my wife and I will be traveling to London. Started to make arrangements and plan out the trip. We've been there a couple of times but this one will be different as my wife and I are leaving the kids behind. Hooray for the mother-n-law! With that said I am hoping to get some tips on where to go and what to do from the Londoners that post on LST. Since we have been there before we are looking to do things outside of Big Ben and the usual tourist attractions. Can I get some tips? What are the must-sees? places to eat? Any advice would be much appreciated. Of course while I'm there I will be going to Frith Street for a couple of sessions on my back. Really stoked that the trip is coming quickly!

Thanks for reading.......

I don't know London all that well, so I am sure others will have better advice for you, but I will encourage you guys to take advantage of one of the many beautiful smaller cities and towns that are easy day trips from the big city, as it can be really nice to see another side of England. For example, I used to live in Oxford, which is a really beautiful place worth exploring, and it is just over an hour trip from central London with buses and trains running there every 15 minutes or so. It, and many other similarly gorgeous historic towns close to London, is really worth the day trip.

In London itself, I just visited the V&A History of Childhood Museum the last time I was there, which was super cool. Spooky old toys and dollhouses galore. I also love the permanent exhibit of the British Library, which is a veritable goldmine of cool and valuable old books and manuscripts, in a pretty accessible and not too overwhelming space. If you are a nerd, you will love it. (I am a bit fan of smaller museums like these generally, as the big ones can overwhelm me easily.)

There's a lot of good cask ale pubs in London, if that's your taste. Really good boozers galore.

Food-wise I would try to eat steak at one of the Hawksmoor restaurants... There's one not too far from Frith St. Try a Tobacco Old Fashioned while you're there.

It's probably touristy, but I liked riding a boat out to Greenwich and seeing the Cutty Sark.

Can't go wrong with London, lots to do.

I used to live in Oxford, which is a really beautiful place worth exploring, and it is just over an hour trip from central London with buses and trains running there every 15 minutes or so. It, and many other similarly gorgeous historic towns close to London, is really worth the day trip.

I live in Oxford, and it's definitely worth a visit if you're able. We have some really great museums, and really beautiful buildings around the place (the Sheldonian, the Radcliffe Camera amongst many others).

And like @Pugilist said, you can get there easily and quickly. If you're into black tattoo's, Curly works at Lionel's Tattoo Studio (the Tattoo Club of Great Britain).. he has a nine month waiting list.. but you could give the shop a call.

And with London, other people have already made the recommendations that i would have :)

I live in Oxford, and it's definitely worth a visit if you're able. We have some really great museums, and really beautiful buildings around the place (the Sheldonian, the Radcliffe Camera amongst many others).

And like @Pugilist said, you can get there easily and quickly. If you're into black tattoo's, Curly works at Lionel's Tattoo Studio (the Tattoo Club of Great Britain).. he has a nine month waiting list.. but you could give the shop a call.

And with London, other people have already made the recommendations that i would have :)

Also the Pitt Rivers Museum with its collection of shrunken heads, antique firearms, and a Coke bottle bong.

Don't eat Indian food in London. It's shit, mostly. Yes, even in Brick Lane.

Eat at Hawksmoor. Soho is bursting with great places to eat for any budget - too many to list here but Koya right across from our shop does great Udon, made fresh on the premises daily. There's also a michelin star rated restaurant on Frith Street, called Arbutus that isn't much more expensive (maybe £2 - £5 more per dish) than other non-rated restaurants.

See a west-end show. I think the Book of Mormon may still be on then. If not, there will be loads of other stuff to do. I'm sure Singing in the Rain will still be showing. There's also many smaller character-driven or comedy plays constantly. There's a Jazz/Blues club called Ronnie Scotts on Frith Street that I'm told is amazing.

V&A, British Museum, Tower of London (go early)

For fine English gentleman's clothes, shoes and grooming, visit Jermyn Street, just off Piccadilly. That's 2 streets away from Burlington Arcade with too many antique Jewellery (and hat/scarf/glove) boutiques to mention, after all, your wife was a saint in SF ;)

Spitalfields market (Thursday) can be fun for antiques/junk if you like that type of thing. It's right next to Whitechapel - Jack the Ripper territory, there's tourist walks around Whitechapel at night too.

Bloomsbury, near the british museum is famous for it's publishing houses and rare bookshops.

The London Eye is great on a clear day for views over the river.

The South Bank, a walk east of the London Eye, has theatres, restaurants, the Tate Modern and great view of the city.

Book tickets early for everything to avoid queues and wasting precious time.

There are many more interest-specific things to do but these are the general ones that most people would enjoy.

If you want to search London for sites where rock, punk or blues musicians played or died, you can do that. Same with authors, playwrights, magicians, diplomats, etc.

There's a Beatles museum next to the Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker Street. Don't bother going to Madame Tussauds.

If you're planning leaving London for non-tattoo stuff and like fast cars and bikes, there's always Brand's Hatch and Silverstone.

Whatever you do, you'll think of something awesome you missed the day you get back home ;)

Most of these places (even the streets) have Wikipedia pages that can be pretty informative.

Good Luck.

Don't worry if we don't get your back finished on that trip, I'll be at the Long Beach convention next summer too.

Don't eat Indian food in London. It's shit, mostly. Yes, even in Brick Lane.

Eat at Hawksmoor. Soho is bursting with great places to eat for any budget - too many to list here but Koya right across from our shop does great Udon, made fresh on the premises daily. There's also a michelin star rated restaurant on Frith Street, called Arbutus that isn't much more expensive (maybe £2 - £5 more per dish) than other non-rated restaurants.

See a west-end show. I think the Book of Mormon may still be on then. If not, there will be loads of other stuff to do. I'm sure Singing in the Rain will still be showing. There's also many smaller character-driven or comedy plays constantly. There's a Jazz/Blues club called Ronnie Scotts on Frith Street that I'm told is amazing.

V&A, British Museum, Tower of London (go early)

For fine English gentleman's clothes, shoes and grooming, visit Jermyn Street, just off Piccadilly. That's 2 streets away from Burlington Arcade with too many antique Jewellery (and hat/scarf/glove) boutiques to mention, after all, your wife was a saint in SF ;)

Spitalfields market (Thursday) can be fun for antiques/junk if you like that type of thing. It's right next to Whitechapel - Jack the Ripper territory, there's tourist walks around Whitechapel at night too.

Bloomsbury, near the british museum is famous for it's publishing houses and rare bookshops.

The London Eye is great on a clear day for views over the river.

The South Bank, a walk east of the London Eye, has theatres, restaurants, the Tate Modern and great view of the city.

Book tickets early for everything to avoid queues and wasting precious time.

There are many more interest-specific things to do but these are the general ones that most people would enjoy.

If you want to search London for sites where rock, punk or blues musicians played or died, you can do that. Same with authors, playwrights, magicians, diplomats, etc.

There's a Beatles museum next to the Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker Street. Don't bother going to Madame Tussauds.

If you're planning leaving London for non-tattoo stuff and like fast cars and bikes, there's always Brand's Hatch and Silverstone.

Whatever you do, you'll think of something awesome you missed the day you get back home ;)

Most of these places (even the streets) have Wikipedia pages that can be pretty informative.

Good Luck.

Don't worry if we don't get your back finished on that trip, I'll be at the Long Beach convention next summer too.

Thank you @Stewart Robson so far I have tickets for book of Mormon and also made a reservation at Hawksmoor! The other items you listed are very helpful. Look forward to the sessions and glad to hear you will be in Long Beach. That's right in the backyard. If we get the back done we can start something else!

Thank you everyone for the responses so far!