Thick Scab/Scar

HaydenRose

Here I go, probably freaking out over some thing that just needs more healing time. My tattoo is now on its 5th day of healing, and doing really well! My left rose is almost completely peeled and hasn't been swollen or red for a few days. However, on the right rose, its mostly peeled but one leaf has this thick scab that developed around the 2nd day, but hasn't shown any signs of peeling or softening. Now there's also a scab/scar forming near the outline on the red part of the petal near it (you can see it in the picture). I've heard of people getting thick scabs that eventually fall off and pull all of the ink out, which would be a huge bummer.

Has any one had a similar experience and how did it turn out for you? I'm going to stop putting lotion or aquaphor on that leaf for now and see if that helps. But its strange only part of the tattoo is reacting this way.

(On a side note: my healing method is to leave the bandage on overnight, wash it good in the morning and let it dry out for about 24 hours, but washing it 3-5x that first day. Then I wash it about 3x a day and only apply a thin layer of aquaphor after it dries out completely after washing. Once it starts peeling, I continue washing it 3x a day and only put aveeno lotion on it after I wash it and dry it.)

I would say just continue with the lotion and don't try to peel it, let if fall off naturally. I had one area on my arm that scabbed like that and once it was healed you could not tell anything was wrong at all. If there is any loss of color you can just get it touched up. Most, if not all, artists do this for free.

I understand you concern, as I don't recall Scott Sylvia traveling to NYC much, so a touch up probably not feasible, but I think if you leave it alone, just try to forget about it and let it do its thing. I have had much worse scabs that healed fine. I feel like the pigment is in there and should heal in there as long as it's allowed to do so.

Is the spot on a skin crease from body movement? also assuming you are right handed, hence why its only the right rose. The only scab I have had from my last 8 tattoos was on my arm ditch from too much movement, I did keep it moist to stop it cracking and was carefull not to knock it off, it healed fine in the end.

Nice roses btw.

Is the spot on a skin crease from body movement? also assuming you are right handed, hence why its only the right rose. The only scab I have had from my last 8 tattoos was on my arm ditch from too much movement, I did keep it moist to stop it cracking and was carefull not to knock it off, it healed fine in the end.

Nice roses btw.

Thanks!

I am right handed, so that may be the case. The leaves are on my chest, so it may be that I have clothing straps rubbing on it and when I sleep it probably folds together in that spot. I was wondering if maybe its only the right rose because it was tattooed second and I had a lot more pain with that one. One the whole, my left rose is healing much faster and easier. Kind of strange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...