Tattooers: What is/are the worst thing(s) someone can do to a tattoo?

Lochlan

The hydrogen peroxide thing is amazing. I have a couple tattoos I'd like to remove, I'm definitely going to try this method. I wonder if anyone knows how it works?

I'd imagine it bleaches the colour out of the pigment so it looks really faded. I'm not sure how wise it is to tattoo something as nasty as hydrogen peroxide into your skin though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Someone decided to put hydrogen peroxide on a piece I was really proud of. Lets just say the healed result was...unflattering! If someone ever regrets a tattoo and its still fresh, this will give the results of a couple laser treatments from what it looked like.

Holy cow--I've never heard about hydrogen peroxide and tattoos. Interesting.

• 1 month later...
who the hell believes shit like this?! people are ridiculous

i can sort of see that. semen acts the same as lotion and it really softens up the skin, actually bull semen is used to make lotion so the only difference is i guess lotion you buy is more sanitary that taking it right of the cock. I mean hey, face cream is made out of human foreskins so it's not that far fetched an idea. If i didn't know better about cleanliness I'd totally do it and I'm really not all that surprised she did.

who the hell believes shit like this?! people are ridiculous
i can sort of see that. semen acts the same as lotion and it really softens up the skin, actually bull semen is used to make lotion so the only difference is i guess lotion you buy is more sanitary that taking it right of the cock. I mean hey, face cream is made out of human foreskins so it's not that far fetched an idea. If i didn't know better about cleanliness I'd totally do it and I'm really not all that surprised she did.

Apparently this guy.

Are you serious?

I have no words

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
many will disagree with #2 and #3

I'm almost tempted to disagree with #1 too. Maybe this guy was just pulling my leg, though I don't think so, but I know a local tattooer who says that swimming in salt water is great for a healing tattoo and that he learned this when he was tattooing in the Marquesas. He recently went down to Austin and got this incredible reaper with flames from Chris Trevino on the side of his stomach going up into his armpit and he said he went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico three or four days after getting tattooed, the scabs all washed off, and the thing healed up beautifully. I've seen it, the tattoo is bright, solid, an all-around exceptional tattoo. I wouldn't do it personally, but it seems to have worked for him.

Why? hot tub and excessive use lotions can cause serious damages.

I believe it is a Japanese tradition to soak for a short time in a hot bath after a tattoo session. And many LSTers have shared that their post tattoo routine includes a hot bath.

"excessive" is the key bad word. Light application of lotion works for most and is usually part of the recommended aftercare instructions from most shops.

Never tried a bath, but I always either soak a towel in really hot water and press it to a fresh tattoo, or stand under a very hot shower for a bit. This usually hurts worse than the tattoo itself, but the heat pulls out the excess plasma and gunk that leads to heavy scabbing. The stuff that usually seeps out for the first day or so. Im sure it's the same concept with a hot bath.

A hot shower definitely. Do this every time, have done for years.

When working my back, I too was in the ocean a couple days after a solid sitting. Just made sure I washed under the fresh showers to rid myself of excess salt, and happy days. No dramas. Again, not a practice I would undertake, it was just one of them things at the time.

• 9 months later...

It's probably not the worst thing but when healing my first tattoo on my lower back, I somehow managed to sleep on my back the first night, and when I woke the bed sheet was stuck to it. I ripped off a lot of thick scab when I sat up that morning, it hurt like hell. This was a solid black tattoo and it forever imprinted on my bed sheet.

Ever since I have been healing my tattoos moist btw.

Probably reaching under my bike to grab the tube of Loctite I had dropped and contacting the hot muffler with part of the tattoo is not good for it? Still healing but not looking too damaged.

Suiren, I slept in a tee shirt the first night and it stuck, so I just wore it into the shower and soaked it loose. No harm to shirt or ink.

My tattooist says no swimming, but that means no swimming pools. I don't swim but imagine the chlorine wouldn't be good for it. I don't know about the ocean, but water here is always cold. Most people who are crazy enough to into it wear wetsuits. Would imagine that wetsuits not good for new tattoos either. I also don't have a bath for at least 3 weeks from tattoo day. I keep the hot water away from it in the shower. Bepanthen (nappy cream), is applied thinly.

Have heard some stories that just make you shake your head and think "what the FUCK were you thinking?" but that's it, they don't think. I've had so many people ask me about tattoo after care, stuff like "how much nappy cream should I put on?" Or asking me "tattoo is like this, is that normal?" <insert normal ailment here> Thinking of starting to charge people a consultation fee! lol

A lot of people don't listen to the tattooists after care instructions and, do their own thing. Then they fucking wonder why their tattoo is messed up! *sighs*

• 3 months later...
It's probably not the worst thing but when healing my first tattoo on my lower back, I somehow managed to sleep on my back the first night, and when I woke the bed sheet was stuck to it. I ripped off a lot of thick scab when I sat up that morning, it hurt like hell. This was a solid black tattoo and it forever imprinted on my bed sheet.

Ever since I have been healing my tattoos moist btw.

This happened to me in a hotel bed, got the top of my back done (shoulder to shoulder) went to sleep and woke up to a bloody/inked bed sheet. The hotel tried charging me for the sheet to clean it, I couldn't believe they wouldn't just chuck it out. Pretty disgusting

Anyway, I love waking up and seeing all the blood from a fresh tattoo makes it feel like I've earned it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk