Lochlan

Tattooers: What is/are the worst thing(s) someone can do to a tattoo?

I understand each person is unique in their healing process and potentially holding ink and color tattoos better than others. But what are the worst things tattoo customers can do to their tattoos right after getting tattooed and long term? Thanks!

We had a customer a while back who must have misunderstood both our oral and written care instructions we give out, and ended up keeping their bandage on for like 2 weeks. I didn't see what the end result was, but I sure heard about it. It sounded pretty nasty.

Someone decided to put hydrogen peroxide on a piece I was really proud of. Lets just say the healed result was...unflattering! If someone ever regrets a tattoo and its still fresh, this will give the results of a couple laser treatments from what it looked like.

i worked with a guy who tattooed hydrogen peroxide into a tattoo he longer wanted and it basically dissapeared. don't tell wrecking balm!!!

Haha. I got tattooed at Goldfield's in the late 90s and everyone was telling Henry stories. One involved a guy getting the Scarface globe with "THE WORLD IS MINE" across it tattooed on his chest. Henry drew it up, stenciled it on, and the client approved. Somewhere in all the wiping, it ended up saying "THE WORD IS MINE"--and the client noticed it immediately. The story goes that Henry tattooed hydrogen peroxide into the D and fixed it on the spot. I've always taken that one with a grain of salt, but after reading Mario and William's posts, I'm inclined to believe it.

I have a little "new ink test pad" on my ankle consisting of random little triangles/squiggles. Think I am going to experiment with the peroxide theory. I will post the results, before/after healing.

A tattooer I know is removing some stuff on another tattooer using this method and after one session I would have to say the results are amazing. I am told that it is quite painful, but the person in question doesn't have any experience with lazer removal so can't say which is worse. Anyhow his plan is once it is light enough to get Jason Kundell to tattoo a full sleeve on him and I think that is only a couple sessions away.

...random lady on the public transit asks: does my tattoo look infected?(while touching/rubbing with dirty grubby fingers!)

Answer: I'm not a doctor, but if that's oozing "puss" go to the walk-in clinic, and please STOP TOUCHING THE DAMNED THING!!!!

So...touching a fresh tattoo with dirty hands is one of many terrible things someone can do to a tattoo.

I was in a bar many years ago and someone I know walks in with a very fresh tattoo on his forearm. A rose with a scroll and "Mom", nothing huge. He shows it off and shortly after, gets into it with someone outside and winds up knocked on his ass in the parking lot. Of course the tattoo is dragged across the asphalt and is scraped up. None of us are tattoo experts at that time, so he goes and lets it heal up. I see him like 3 weeks later and the tattoo looks perfect. I would have guessed it would have needed some sort of touch up.

I own a machine shop and had some fresh ink on my forearm 2 months ago. It was about 2 weeks old and I was changing tools on a lathe and dragged it across a boring bar. It was a 2" long scratch, bled for a bit, scabbed up and I didn't mess with it. It healed up fine, no sign that it was ever cut.

CG

1. wash it with a loofa

2. continue to touch it with dirty hands

3.aftershave

4. and the best one i heard is apply semen on it ( yeah i know right, some chick told me that a scratcher told her to put semen cause ill make it shinny, smh.)

who the hell believes shit like this?! people are ridiculous

I heard a tattooer telling a story about some guy that got pretty drunk after he had his tattoo. When he got home he put a nice layer of hair removing cream on the tattoo instead of moisturiser.

I seem to remember another one about someone, who after having their feet tattooed, went home and soaked both feet in warm salted water for several hours.

I seen a guy cut out a tattoo he had, it was a heart with his ex ladys name, got rid of the name, but left a nasty looking scar I told him he should have had it covered, now its a nasty looking scar.,

Edited by cookabowl
cant spell

Not a tattooer but in need of some help from experienced folks. I've been getting my front worked on, and while my stomach (everything below the nipples) heals up fine (leaving the bandage on overnight, using minimal amounts of moisturizer), my chest seems to reject the ink, I've been lined and shaded twice in this area with the same results, those being shading and lines that look faded/aged. It's like the skin pushes out the ink, and the breaking out doesn't help. Since I'm putting so much time/pain/money into this process, I'm kinda desperate for advice on how to get this to improve. I can take another session (fuck my sternum) but I'd like the finished product to be something that looks like it was done in this decade.

Not a tattooer but in need of some help from experienced folks. I've been getting my front worked on, and while my stomach (everything below the nipples) heals up fine (leaving the bandage on overnight, using minimal amounts of moisturizer), my chest seems to reject the ink, I've been lined and shaded twice in this area with the same results, those being shading and lines that look faded/aged. It's like the skin pushes out the ink, and the breaking out doesn't help. Since I'm putting so much time/pain/money into this process, I'm kinda desperate for advice on how to get this to improve. I can take another session (fuck my sternum) but I'd like the finished product to be something that looks like it was done in this decade.

Maybe make a thread in Tattoo Advice with some pictures. Kind of hard to tell what's happening without seeing it. And, of course you can always talk to your tattooer about it, as that is what they do for a living. Who's doing the work?

Not a tattooer but I would imagine a bad thing would be letting other people touch your tattoo while it's healing.

I have had a few people who tried to touch mine when I should them and it was still healing. Why would they touch it? That's just rude lol You don't know if they have washed their hands or not, it's nasty

I would think touching it a lot yourself can be just as bad though