Please help if you can, not sure if its just healing or not healing properly

NorthernBrother

So here is the tattoo I got day after I got it

205164_10151232541163509_652736405_n_zps424aeb61.jpeg

Now, I have a couple questions to which I have some concern over:

photo4-5_zps8230bb50.jpg

photo2-6_zps37b9570a.jpg

photo1-7_zpsa4bf01f2.jpg

I have some concern with where the red is, mainly near the centre of the tattoo. The skin looks, puffy ish, or raised, and has a clear-ish opaque look to it, in that area as well, are a few very very very small white dots, that can only be seen clearly after washing in a certain light. One of which recently began to peel.

The area is not hot at all, infact, after I clean my hands, it feels the exact same temperature as the rest of the forearm

I am concerned that it could be infected or not healing properly. I have been following the proper aftercare procedures almost religiously. I have also read on here that red can be finicky to heal.

So, am I overreacting a little, or is this just the healing process.

Also, since those pictures have been taken, the dark scabs have all come off except for part of one, under those scabs, is the strange looking wrinkling skin I am talking about, and the tiny tiny white dots

Thank you for all your help and time

In most cases it is better to do absolutely nothing to your tattoo than to over care for it.

Your photos look like a normally healing tattoo.

The white, wrinkly, opaque skin- is just your new skin ( as far as white dots- it's impossible to say without seeing)

I usually advise a light wash daily, pat dry, apply mild lotion sparingly a few times a day- massage in to skin.

Everybody heals differently.

Don't worry

- - - Updated - - -

The above post is actually by Matt's mother- also a tattooist, he didn't sign off of the computer.

In most cases it is better to do absolutely nothing to your tattoo than to over care for it.

Your photos look like a normally healing tattoo.

The white, wrinkly, opaque skin- is just your new skin ( as far as white dots- it's impossible to say without seeing)

I usually advise a light wash daily, pat dry, apply mild lotion sparingly a few times a day- massage in to skin.

Everybody heals differently.

Don't worry

- - - Updated - - -

The above post is actually by Matt's mother- also a tattooist, he didn't sign off of the computer.

thank you very much for your reply, just wanted to make sure and be safer than sorry. To me it seems like the small white dots are turing into parts that are peeling, nothing more. But they have been there for over a day now and have not changed at all in any way, so I assume its just some healing going on.

The best aftercare is just letting your body heal itself. Don't stress over your body basically healing from a minor surgical procedure. If you let it, your skin will take care of itself. From the looks of the photos, your tattoo is healing just fine. I would continue to follow your aftercare instruction and maybe do as littler lotion or lube as possible. I only lotion my healing work if the skin becomes taught and tight while healing.

I concur with the opinion that over care is probably a bad thing to do on any tattoo. Most of the time when I have a client ask me what to put on it, I just tell them the best course of action is to leave it be. If your tattoo takes longer than a week to heal, and it starts to fester or hurt really bad, or if you feel sick, you need to go to the ER right away.

I was a Hospital Corpsman in the US Navy. I served with Marines and saw many tattoos that would get infected due to improper aftercare. Something that you want to be careful of is putting anything on it that has petroleum in it--VASOLINE IS BAD!!!!! and it is usually full of crap that is left in the jar by the last person who used it. Tubes or foils of bacitracin or A & D Ointment are okay, but use it very sparingly. I don't even give clients the stuff anymore and apply it to the skin right after the tattoo is done.

Being this way with aftercare instructions to my clients such as these has caused a complete drop off in aftercare related infection in tattoos I've done over the last several years.

BTW, I also have a vegvisir. Are you of viking heritage?

BTW, I also have a vegvisir. Are you of viking heritage?

Thanks everyone for the comments, it has gotten alot better, but some of the red is taking longer to heal. Its looking really good though.

I guess I got a little over worried about it.

Yes, I am actually. Have alot of viking blood in me, and that of a scottish outlaw (if that makes a difference)