Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

I don't think I've had any Tattoo Blues. The only problem i had was when I finished my full sleeve on my right arm last fall, I was already thinking of more ideas for my left arm. :rolleyes: With that said, I think I'll have the blues once I run out of arms lol

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my last session about 10 days ago on my backpiece I was looking forward to the end. Why? Because my sessions were hit and miss on the pain scale. I have my lower leg from the ankle to the knee covered and a 1/4 sleeve on my arm. I always had the "blues" after those sessions were done and itched for another one. I know nothing will compare to the pain on my back. I am not planning on doing chest, collar bone or rib area. I waited for years to finish my leg because of my job. So for 14 years, I dreamed about finishing it and getting a Buddha and geisha piece. So, maybe it was because I waited so long to get them. Now, not sure where I want to go from here. Not really desiring anything at the moment. I'm leaning towards some Apsara or some Thai mythology. Sure could use some good reference material. I've done all my research for my tats on google.

• 3 weeks later...

My recent tattoo was done a little over a week ago. It's definitely my largest piece. About 3-4 days after it was done I had stayed up way way later than I usually do and while looking at it had a panic attack. It was intended to be a rose shoulder cap (outline only) 3 roses with the largest rose on the top of my shoulder but somehow the largest rose ended up on my chest/armpit area for better flow. I'd been planning this tattoo for a couple years, the line work is very well done. It's the fact that no matter what shirt I wear (female here, so I wear a lot of v-necks and scoop necks), you can see part of a rose and a leaf that has me feeling a bit blue for some odd reason. I LOVE the tattoo itself though. Just thinking about this thing when I'm 50 or 60 and I can't wrap my mind around it. So some days I'm ecstatic. So happy. And when I'm overly tired I get depressed a bit. Could be the fact I see a piece of it in every single time I look in the mirror and I'm just not used to it. I hate that I have to be so analytical. I definitely did not expect to feel this way.

Interesting thread. I have never felt this way about a tattoo or piercing. With some facial piercings I was even happy to have that spot finally pierced. I don't like it without it. It is probably weird thinking but that is how I feel.

With tattoos I feel more neutral I guess. Now that they are there, I just like looking at them. But I have gotten only small things so far and am thinking long and hard about bigger ink. I admire bigger tattoos a lot but having them cover a certain spot for a lifetime is a big decision.

- - - Updated - - -

@xcom,

It's now in my gallery.

I think the main issue is that I am over critical of myself no matter what.

I actually admired your tattoo before.

This is just my personal opinion but I think tattoos that peek out of clothing look great. It adds a certain style to a normal shirt.

A lot of my tattoo plans include tattoos that will be visible because I want to be able to see them more often. I have two on my back and I regret not being able to see them more often ;) also a few in the nape/ ear area and at times I almost forget that they are there.

As far as the grandma thing goes...we will look wrinkly no matter if tattooed or not. At least the tattoos will add a little interest. I wasn't planning on being a standard grandma either. I'll be that witchy old lady with the long grey hair and long dress collecting herbs in the forest ^^...

• 2 weeks later...

I do usually about 30 minutes after I get it and for possibly the next day or so sort of wish I had gotten something different or placed it somewhere else but then once the itching starts it goes away. Not sure why. I've never regretted any tattoo I've gotten though after that short period of time.

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Sm1752 said:

I just got my first tattoo yesterday and I feel weird, I’m sad and just feel weird having it even though I love the tattoo... is it normal for that? It sucks and I dong regret it I just feel different about myself..

100 % normal and that feeling will go away,

I got my first last month. Pretty large, shoulder to elbow.....go big or go home! I smile every time I look at it. It's weird knowing it's permanent and that my arm will never look bare again, but I never liked my pale upper arms anyway. I like it so much, I'm ready to get the other arm done in something a similar size. If I didn't have to worry about work right now, I'd probably be working on a full sleeve on both arms! Not ruling that out for the future. 

So no regrets, only the itch for more!

• 2 years later...
On 12/25/2012 at 6:13 AM, Delicious said:

well i can understand.

its a bit shocking to think that what you got tattooed is now on you forever. On your body forever. More people should realize this before they go and get a tattoo they never really wanted

Or more people should wait until they’re 68 like me. Then even if it looked crappy you could feel ‘Screw it. I’ll be dead soon enough.’

• 3 months later...

Yes I can definitely empathize. It's the "forever" of the thing I suppose.

But, my tattoos have deep meaning, I put them there for a reason. For good or bad, they will forever remind me of a scripture, a time in my life or a person.

Short term anxiety for long term memories.