Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

Major blues at the moment. No sessions planned and probably won't be able to afford any new tattoos until next year. I'm finding some enjoyment in planning my chest-piece, and from thinking about filling up my legs with loads of small tattoos. Not having a specific date to look forward to though, sucks a bit.

• 3 months later...

For some reason I'm struggling to adjust to how I look with the new one. I've only been working on my legs recently and I still have a ton of empty skin there, but it feels like I've made a big leap in terms of coverage. I know I'll get used to it, but it's a weird headspace to be in.

I'll put up a squidpants photo when it's healed.

For some reason I'm struggling to adjust to how I look with the new one. I've only been working on my legs recently and I still have a ton of empty skin there, but it feels like I've made a big leap in terms of coverage. I know I'll get used to it, but it's a weird headspace to be in.

I'll put up a squidpants photo when it's healed.

I went through this when I really started to work on my legs. And I know what you mean about it creating a weird headspace. After all, I had already done my chest, arms, and started a backpiece, but for some reason I sometimes felt a bit uncomfortable with moving onto the legs. Fortunately it passed pretty quickly and now I'm on to worrying about what I'll do when I'm out of space! I love going to the shop and being part of all that that entails.

You aren't alone @polliwog, I had something really similar when I got my first big piece on my outer thigh, I actually had a small anxiety attack and wondered what I had done. I'm pleased to say that the feeling passed in a couple of days, and then I just fell in love with it and started thinking about what I wanted next.

see i started on legs and moved up so now a lot of work i get most people dont even know about

but as for the post tatt blues - yeah - i got a piece scheduled for next month then my funds are running dry so it might be awhile - but i still want more coverage - ah - summer is the off season anyway for me in terms of tatts - i'm in the water constantly with the kids (pool / ocean / paddleboarding) so healing is not desirable during this time

after my next piece in late feb - i might try to finagle another but that'll be that till fall

I always get a little bummed after a tattoo if it's not going to be a while before my next one. Right now I'm working on my biggest tattoo to date, and it'll take quite a while. After the first sitting last week I was immediately bummed that it would be a month before the next one! I keep hoping I'll get a cancellation call.

It's refreshing to hear that some one has this same experience! I cried after my first one, I wouldn't say it was sadness or happiness, just a mix of emotions and exhaustion and what not. It's hard to ignore the permanency of a tattoo and some times the idea is still slightly startling. With every one since I feel a little pang of "wow, what did I do to myself?" ---not that I don't regret it, it's just a strange feeling. Although, I think these emotions will become less and less the more tattoos I get (I have only 5 now). Once you're more covered, it's probably not such a big deal.
My post-tattoo blues = coming to the realization that I can't afford another one for the next 6+ months. WAH.

I love seeing how the forum's regulars have progressed over time almost as much as I love recent/current discussions. For some reason, it helps me with my impatience (having to wait for my appointment has been KILLING me).

I would spend the night after every single piercing wide awake wondering what I'd done, but I've never had that experience with a tattoo, not sure exactly why, tattoos are more permanent. As has been said before, the brain is a wierd one.

There was an experiment conducted where participants had to choose between two pieces of artwork to keep. Some were told they'd have the opportunity to change their decision later and others were told their decision would be final. It was discovered that people were much less likely to be happy with the final decision if they were able to change it (regardless of whether or not they chose to). So maybe it's similar with piercings vs tattoos?

Yup.... I have that feeling... Even now.... and it has been about 3 weeks sense.... The sadness I have is that one part of my tattoo did not come out the way I wanted it. But I am learning to love and hate it... Looking to go get it fixed some how.

This is a good thread. My initial post-tattoo emotions are euphoric, typically with a side of hunger. But after that wears off (a day or two, often), the depression creeps in. I imagine it's for the same reasons already listed here: I just changed a part of myself and I have to live with and see it forever. So far, this feeling also fades...

But I think part of this has to do with our modern culture, and touches on what @xcom just mentioned. We're all after the absolute best of whatever we can get. With the internet, we now have the ability to research every single decision we make to ensure that it's the absolute best one. I have a hard time purchasing anything over $20 without first reading some anonymous reviews likely written by jackasses. Louis CK does a great bit about this problem of over-research and DVD players: why the fuck do you need the best DVD player? What is that knowledge actually going to get you?!

TLDR - don't worry about the tattoo blues, just keep getting good tattoos!

You just hit the nail on the head. "Could this be better?" is a really shitty feeling to have AFTER you get the tattoo - and can sometimes be productive (maybe you'll research more carefully next time, get offline and talk to someone or crack a book) but can also lead to looking for flaws and seeking validation. Like if you don't get "the best" tattoo you've failed as a consumer. (Never mind "the best" relationship, apartment...)

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad I read this thread. I have 2 day old piece that I've been criticizing and been feeling a little weird about, even though I know it's not logical. I think some of that is because I don't have plans for the next one. Woe is me.

I have been having issues with this with my most recent tattoos. I keep thinking like, they arent exactly what I wanted, are they a stupid idea? I shouldnt have ever done this, now I'm stuck with them forever. But then the other part of me thinks they're awesome and I'm glad I did them. I dont know what my deal is.

I think another thing thats causing me difficulty is like, my artist for this one is pretty active on Instagram, and yet she hasnt posted my tattoos even though I know she took pictures of them. Then it makes me worry like, is SHE not happy with how they turned out? Its giving me needless worry lol

My first tattoo I was completely in love with after it was done, and these ones I'm kind of split about.

Wow, love this thread. My post tattoo feelings are generally extreme adrenaline, sexual excitement, and rebelliousness. My blues happen before the tattoo where I doubt myself a lot. Once it's on me, I own it body and mind. I definitely feel worse leading up to a visible tattoo....hidden ones are easy. Getting visible tattoos takes a certain amount of confidence and maturity of character, which is why I really recommend waiting until your 30s to go there.

My first two tattoos lead to good feelings and lots of energy. I loved the work and it settled in real well. Not so this last time. Living with tattoo blues. Over two months now and I still have them. Not at all happy with what I got. Keeping it covered for now. I wanted to be able to proudly show it. Another session to hopefully correct it is still almost a month away. Oh yeah, art on Instagram? he didn't even take a picture!

@pidjones, you know things are not right when they don't want to take pictures. Sorry about your blues bro, I am sure it will be fix just fine. I know the feeling. I am some what over mine... And like you the original artist will try and fix it... The cool part is that the mentor is the artist that is working on my back so they will both work on my arm together. Looking forward that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, I'm working on 2 big tattoos at once. So between late January and early May, I have a lot going on. I love the work so far and at the end of May my focus will be on getting ready for the summer. Maybe I'll be working on the next one in the fall or wait until next year.

The only time (so far) I've experienced a huge tattoo downer was with my old mentor. It's a corset lace in the inner bicep. Most people say it's pretty cool but he was making passes at me during the session, and overall being his dickhead self. So the process sucked and afterwards I'm left with this obnoxious memory.

I'm hoping I can get it covered one day but it would be a miracle. Hehe

I usually get a little bit of a "I'm different forever!!!" kind of panic after tattoos, which usually turns into a little bit of the blues. The last couple I've gotten have been more of a "I'm different and more awesome forever" excitement. Not sure what the change has been, but I've overall been in a better frame of mind lately and I think it's trickling down to my tattoo experiences. I used to go through a little mourning period for my skin post tattoo, now I just jump straight to the planning stage for my next one. :D