Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

I got my ROA backpiece finished today and noticed I've felt kinda blue, blah, meh, ever since I got home. It's not that I regret the tattoo, or there's anything wrong with it. To the contrary it's awesome. It turned out as good as I ever hoped it would. But finishing the backpiece is kinda like climbing Mt. Everest for me. Like a "how do I top this?" feeling.

I'm sure it'll go away by morning. I already have plans for getting an eagle on my chest for my birthday.

I can relate. I've been a bit bummed out since finishing my back a week or so ago. Like you, no regrets or anything. Just feels weird having an endeavor so big in different respects--time, pain, money, et al.--come to a screeching halt. I should probably do like you and get the next thing going, but I want to enjoy having something finished on me for a while. I guess some people are never happy. Ha!

I have definitely felt this way, good to see I'm not the only one like I thought. After doing my forearms, I was stoked on the art.... But stepped outside of my tattoo world filled mind, and thought "That's not coming off...". Sometimes I think "should I have tattooed by arms and hands?" Then I think, yes... I feel myself.

• 2 months later...

I think I've got the "in between with nothing booked right this minute" blues.

I'm in central Texas until the end of May. I'll spend some time in Oklahoma, and then after that I really have no idea where I'll end up.

I'm trying to decide now whether to get one more done while I'm close to Austin, or hold off and wait and see where I end up working next...

After my first tattoo I was nothing but pumped. I knew I wanted tattoos at like 5, and waited until like 19, so when I finally did I was pumped. I do however always get anxiety to tell my parents. I am getting heavily tattooed and still will wear long sleeves around my parents and hide a new one from them for as long as I can. Going past the elbow was a big deal for me too. I'm glad I finally did because I love my tattoos but I thought about it a good long while before deciding on doing it. I knew I was going past the elbow eventually so I just said fuck it let's do it!

I wouldn't call them the blues, but when I first got my sleeve outlined to the wrist I had a "holy shit" moment. I had my back piece outlined yesterday and when I got home I had another "holy shit" moment. Not buyers remorse, just a "I can't believe I did this" moment. That's turned into a "fucking A!!!" feeling this morning. :-)

Now if I could only stop looking at them every time I pass a mirror ...

Ah tattoo anxiety!

At this point any anxiety I experience comes from avoiding using up valuable real estate prematurely.

Example, I had some anxiety about before a recent session. I overestimated the amount of space in my lower torso and thought I could sneak in a weird illustration tattoo (from a different artist, very different than all my other work) above my crotch. I ended up just filling the whole lower torso area with 2 giant traditional roses and cancelling the weird crotch tattoo. I feel a lot better about the area now that it is filled in and am relieved that I kept it really simple. Any blues or anxiety usually stems from trying to be clever or too detailed instead of just going simple and bold. The in-progress unfinished tattoo can be deceptive. Don't let your anxiety get ahead of you.

No regrets, no sadness or despair after getting my work done. But as many have stated, there was a short period post tattoo where my emotions were floating due to the permanency of a tattoo. In the same breath I was smiling at the work I considered top quality (thankfully so), I also understood that I was "altered" for life, and have no idea if I'd face a crossroad in the future where the tattoos might get in the way (which is stupid because they never should).

I think I've got the "in between with nothing booked right this minute" blues.

I'm in central Texas until the end of May. I'll spend some time in Oklahoma, and then after that I really have no idea where I'll end up.

I'm trying to decide now whether to get one more done while I'm close to Austin, or hold off and wait and see where I end up working next...

Err slightly off-topic:

Hey @else, whatcha doin in OK? It's my home state, was surprised to see it pop up in conversation! Are you familiar with any in the burgeoning tattoo scene in the state? I moved away a year before tattooing was legalized there and so don't know too much about the work coming out of the state.

Re post tattoo blues: haven't read the first post in the thread, but I do generally get kinda down...mostly that the tattoo is finished and I wanna start something new!

With that said, I did notice after this last tattoo session that I was kinda emotional for a few hours post tattoo...the last few times I was fine but a little nauseous directly after being tattooed. I come in from out of town to get tattooed, so the sittings are a little longer, and I think the adrenaline/endorphin rush and come down and whatever affect me pretty strongly after 5 or 6 hours! Buuut also this last one was only like 4.5 hours (and a totally awesome experience), so I was surprised at having any reaction at all, honestly.

Edit:

Just read the OP - YES, I have had those feelings! Sounds like what I experienced after my most recent tattoo...glad to know it's not just me :).

Err slightly off-topic:

Hey else, whatcha doin in OK? It's my home state, was surprised to see it pop up in conversation! Are you familiar with any in the burgeoning tattoo scene in the state? I moved away a year before tattooing was legalized there and so don't know too much about the work coming out of the state.

I'm *technically* a resident of the state right now. But, with the way my job works, I spend very little actual time there. (Like - less than 8 weeks of the past year.)

I lived there for part of my high school/college years too, but that was awhile back.

Richard Stell is opening up a shop in Tulsa really soon - May I think?

And there's some good tattooers scattered here and there.

I'm not actually there enough to keep up with things.

I'm *technically* a resident of the state right now. But, with the way my job works, I spend very little actual time there. (Like - less than 8 weeks of the past year.)

I lived there for part of my high school/college years too, but that was awhile back.

Richard Stell is opening up a shop in Tulsa really soon - May I think?

And there's some good tattooers scattered here and there.

I'm not actually there enough to keep up with things.

Looks like I'm gonna have to take a little trip to Tulsa the next time I'm in town! Providing the shop is open, of course. I'd love to see what other talent is coming out of - or in the Stells' case, moving into - the state. Next internet wormhole :).

I used to feel a little anxious after a tattoo, but it usually only lasted a few hours. I think it has more to do with physical exhaustion after the session than anything else. I was surprised to find that I have not been particularly anxious as I get my forearms covered. Now, I find myself increasingly stoked after each new tattoo. I have been on a tear recently, and I think I will slow down a bit. What's the rush...of course the thread I am about to start belies this intention...

On Saturday I had my left inner forearm tattooed from elbow ditch to wrist, and I keep doing double-takes at it now! Someone else has said it's worse in the mornings and I definitely get that.

The piece was a long time in the planning and it turned out better than I could have expected, it's just the permanent reality of it on my arm I'm adjusting to! It doesn't help that I'm the only person I know with visible tattoos; I know I'm going to get critical and sometimes startled reactions from family and friends, so I suppose I'm just going to have to be able to deal with that.

On Saturday I had my left inner forearm tattooed from elbow ditch to wrist, and I keep doing double-takes at it now! Someone else has said it's worse in the mornings and I definitely get that.

The piece was a long time in the planning and it turned out better than I could have expected, it's just the permanent reality of it on my arm I'm adjusting to! It doesn't help that I'm the only person I know with visible tattoos; I know I'm going to get critical and sometimes startled reactions from family and friends, so I suppose I'm just going to have to be able to deal with that.

I'm in the same boat. A few of my friends have tattoos, but of my closest friends, I'm the only one with pieces down my forearms. I too have been getting "the look" from people who just don't understand. I am pretty sure they will adjust and be ok with it once the initial shock wears off. And if they don't, well, not much I can do about that. As for my family, well...that's entirely different. I will get no support on that end. That's one of the reasons I like this forum so much. I may not have like-minded tattoo collectors and fans in my personal life (except for my fiancée, who is AWESOME) , but I find them here. Finally a place I can talk tattoos with people who get it.

I'm in the same boat. A few of my friends have tattoos' date=' but of my closest friends, I'm the only one with pieces down my forearms. I too have been getting "the look" from people who just don't understand. I am pretty sure they will adjust and be ok with it once the initial shock wears off. And if they don't, well, not much I can do about that. As for my family, well...that's entirely different. I will get no support on that end. That's one of the reasons I like this forum so much. I may not have like-minded tattoo collectors and fans in my personal life (except for my fiancée, who is AWESOME) , but I find them here. Finally a place I can talk tattoos with people who get it.[/quote']

@Mark Bee hear hear!

I'm in the same boat. A few of my friends have tattoos, but of my closest friends, I'm the only one with pieces down my forearms. I too have been getting "the look" from people who just don't understand. I am pretty sure they will adjust and be ok with it once the initial shock wears off. And if they don't, well, not much I can do about that. As for my family, well...that's entirely different. I will get no support on that end. That's one of the reasons I like this forum so much. I may not have like-minded tattoo collectors and fans in my personal life (except for my fiancée, who is AWESOME) , but I find them here. Finally a place I can talk tattoos with people who get it.

I hear that.

Don't have the post-tattoo blues, but right now I have the "FUCK, big tattoos are big commitments" blues as I begin to plan my next trip down to NYC to blast away at my arm some more.

Had this feeling after my first tattoo. I realized i felt that way because i am not happy with whats on my body now. when it comes to getting tattooed, for me i am a more visual person that loves seeing the details and the execution forever imprinted on my skin. when i find sombody's work i obsess over, i try to imagine any subject matter they would blow away and if i like it i approach them. so ever since my first tattoo i've been completely stoked with the outcome as is the artist. if i think the artist isnt feeling it i wont let them cause i won't be happy. good vibes all around prevent those "post-blues".

This rant brought to you by the lance lol

Does anyone else feel slightly depressed after getting tattooed?

I got a large one on my calf a couple years ago and at first I kept thinking "Oh my, what have I done to myself?" Then I got a little more used to it. Now I have had so much fun owning it and "using" it that I honestly feel it has improved the quality of my life. (By "using" I mean that it is a map that makes people instantly understand when I tell my story.)

I hear that.

Don't have the post-tattoo blues, but right now I have the "FUCK, big tattoos are big commitments" blues as I begin to plan my next trip down to NYC to blast away at my arm some more.

I'm feeling this way too. Big thigh piece scheduled in July and everyday I stress over how I'll save enough money and time off of work. Ueeggghhh.

I've been losing my hair since I was 17. Tattoos and exercise are my only ways of exerting dominance over my body and my appearance. I have had that wistful feeling of looking at my body knowing I have embedded images in my skin forever, but I can't remember ever being depressed or crying over a tattoo...

The only thing I'm sad about when I get a new tattoo is having to save money for more.