Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

I go through the same thing every time I get tattooed. The first day, I'm super excited and love it. Then I go through a few days of "what the hell did I do?" (mainly through the painful healing part where you seem to bump it on everything). Then I love it.

ExpendableHero - at least you supported someone who works an honest trade and who is an artist. Lots of people are struggling to survive, not just homeless people. You have kept one person afloat one more day.

I went shopping on Saturday and decided I would see if I could get a walk-in tattoo. I did get one. I'm very pleased with it but while getting it the whole time I'm thinking how am I going to explain this impulse to my un-tattooed partner? And will he hurry up already? I'm late for dinner.

When I got home I had to explain my delay, and obviously eventually I was going to have to show him the tattoo so I pulled up my pant leg. First thing he said was "Oh no, now you're one of THOSE people." What a jerk thing to say. Now I feel kinda bad, like what is wrong with me? Am I having a mid-life crisis? I used to be such an ordinary good girl. But then I see my butterfly and I really like it. I always wanted a butterfly tattoo and now I have one and the guy I went to, despite being a newly graduated apprentice, did a nice job, perfect lines, super traditional. Cleverly matched the pattern of the butterfly to the leaves of my roses and achieved what I wanted from a simple butterfly tattoo. I can't wait to take him everywhere with me.

So my "blues", if you can call it that, are that with this butterfly I've sort of crossed a threshold into being quite tattooed plus I have a sort of secret pleasure only I understand.

First thing he said was "Oh no, now you're one of THOSE people." What a jerk thing to say. Now I feel kinda bad, like what is wrong with me?

Do you really want to know what is "wrong" with you? I know because the same thing is "wrong" with me (and most of the regular posters here). You are one of "THOSE" people that has found a "thing" that they are passionate about. Those people find a tremendous amount of joy in every aspect of their "thing". You can't stop thinking about it, you spend a lot of your time researching and planning, you make sacrifices, and set aside money specifically for your "thing". There is nothing wrong with being passionate about something in life.

It's an interesting thing when you are with someone who isn't into the same things you are, and especially difficult when it comes to tattoos. If you are truly passionate about tattoos and strive to get good art on your body then I think that will reflect positively on you. Most reasonable significant others who aren't tattooed or have very few, regardless of their prejudices will hopefully be supportive of that. Of course, in certain cases where people are out covering themselves in Miley Cyrus or the "c" word, I think most husbands/wives of that person would be thinking "holy shit balls, hit the eject button on this relationship!" A little butterfly shouldn't be a problem for anyone, unless you decided to get it on your hoo-ha and couldn't be involved in shenanigans until it healed ;) .

There is a fine line between a passion and obsession. One allows you room to live a balanced life that will include your friends/family. The other has you missing car payments and forgetting about anniversaries. One of the things I enjoy about tattoos is that the cost and limited schedules of people I want to get tattoo'd by forces me to slow down on the process, regardless of my propensity to go all-in with my hobbies. My only fear is to someday be sitting with a bunch of cash in my lap and no space left on my body to tattoo.

When I got home I had to explain my delay, and obviously eventually I was going to have to show him the tattoo so I pulled up my pant leg. First thing he said was "Oh no, now you're one of THOSE people."

Saw your butterfly in the latest tattoo thread. It's lovely and it's laughable that would be the one that puts you over the edge into a new category of tattooed person.

Saw your butterfly in the latest tattoo thread. It's lovely and it's laughable that would be the one that puts you over the edge into a new category of tattooed person.

For the average folk who don't have any I guess even one can toss you into that category. I know my last tattoo seems to have crossed some imaginary borders in the minds of people I know. As far as most of the people I know I am now considered 'heavily tattooed' which makes me laugh since I look at a ton of open room. Take it in stride.

It is annoying! These comments from the plainskins about being one of those people or the incredulous, "You want another one?", that is. YES I love my tattoos and I want more tattoos and I am unapologetic about it. Jesus. Give it a rest. Ok, that's my rant. I feel better now.

Good point @Pleadco made about um at least we are not getting 50 Miley Cyrus tattoos (or even 1 for that matter). Did anybody see the Portlandia where Carrie breaks off a relationship because the guy has an Eddie Vedder tattoo? And it wasn't even from the 90s, it was more recent. Then at the end she's with Eddie Vedder and he has an Ani DiFranco tattoo. It's pretty funny. I get that.

I know my last tattoo seems to have crossed some imaginary borders in the minds of people I know.

I think the imaginary border I crossed was simply walking in to get one with no advanced notice or anything. Plus yeah, compared to the average middle-aged, middle-class person, there's a lot of color on my leg. A lot of NEW color on my leg.

Did anybody see the Portlandia where Carrie breaks off a relationship because the guy has an Eddie Vedder tattoo? And it wasn't even from the 90s, it was more recent. Then at the end she's with Eddie Vedder and he has an Ani DiFranco tattoo. It's pretty funny. I get that.

Oh, that's brilliant :)

For the average folk who don't have any I guess even one can toss you into that category. I know my last tattoo seems to have crossed some imaginary borders in the minds of people I know. As far as most of the people I know I am now considered 'heavily tattooed' which makes me laugh since I look at a ton of open room. Take it in stride.

getting my knees done is what put me over that line as far as I can tell.

Even people who knew ahead of time about my plans for leg tattoos seemed shocked when I got the knees done.

getting my knees done is what put me over that line as far as I can tell.

Even people who knew ahead of time about my plans for leg tattoos seemed shocked when I got the knees done.

Knees are kind of becoming the in thing. I feel left out cause I don't have any knee tattoos, yet I should say. I mean it doesn't matter what order you get tattooed if you are going to be tattooed all over, but I see so many people starting with the knees and working outward. When I think about it, makes sense, just never thought of going that route. Until a few years ago I thought of the knees as a super hard core place you only did at the end of filling your body suit.

Knees are kind of becoming the in thing. I feel left out cause I don't have any knee tattoos, yet I should say. I mean it doesn't matter what order you get tattooed if you are going to be tattooed all over, but I see so many people starting with the knees and working outward. When I think about it, makes sense, just never thought of going that route. Until a few years ago I thought of the knees as a super hard core place you only did at the end of filling your body suit.

Yea I'm silly I decided to fill my legs before anything.

My wife and I each have three tattoos and have gone through some similar feelings to varying degrees after each one. Just as a disclaimer, we both love our work, it is amazing, no regrets, exactly what we wanted, etc.

Does anyone else feel slightly depressed after getting tattooed? My wife has cried after two of hers (she loves them both) just because her body has been forever changed and she tends to respond more emotionally than I do. I've definitely felt minor pangs of sadness - kind of like a low-level grief that happens after any climactic event.

I started an half sleeve yesterday, had months to think about it before starting, etc, and I love the work. Its just this strange wistful/longing feeling that takes a couple of days to go away! Can you all relate?

I'll toss up some pics as the tattoo progresses.

I actually have the opposite feeling. I'm excited for the new one and start thinking of the next one, although that usually happens months later. A well-done tattoo can be a piece of art and I enjoy seeing/getting them.

I'm kind of feeling the opposite feeling now in that seeing places where I want more work me a little blue because I can't just run out and get it right now. Also the back piece thread is making me a jealous.

I'm in exactly the same boat. Although I have the funds to get some good smaller pieces, I am saving up so I can get a back piece started (the suikoden prints + the state of grace video have got me excited).

Feeling a little blue after completing the half-sleeve and chest plate this past Thursday. Oh why oh why didn't I just get a 3/4 cause I already want it extended! :D

Is this the Chris O'Donnell sleeve/chest plate that you mentioned a few weeks ago? Are there any pictures of it posted? Understandable if you don't want to share but I would love to see it!

• 1 year later...

I have felt a slight panic feeling post-tattoo for each of mine, that goes from initial freak out to emotional to regretful to acceptance and then utter love. This last one has been no different except the panic is a but more pronounced than before bec I can't quite figure out if I like this one or not. It wasn't what I expected, design or quality wise, so I'm confused about how I feel honestly.