Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

I've experienced this before. It's usually a very fleeting feeling, but I think it has to do with getting used to the change. I know I'd be a lot sadder if I woke up and a tattoo was missing.

This, exactly. I think I have almost always woken up the morning after getting a tattoo thinking "what have I done?!" The feeling passes quickly and I have never felt it deeply, but for me it's a pretty normal part of the adjustment to having this new imagery on my body forever. It has nothing to do with how I feel about the tattoo itself and I have never gotten a tattoo that I actually regretted. But every once in a while it just feels all very Keanu Reeves "whoa" that we do these things to ourselves.

This sounds dumb, but I got kind of a little bummed after one tattoo ended up costing way more than I anticipated. It's stupid when I think about it because I'm very stoked on the tattoo and I'll be wearing it for the rest of my life. It just sucks that my memory of that experience was feeling that way.

I've had moments where I haven't regretted my tattoos but I've looked at myself in the mirror and kind of been "WTF have I done". This has always been really early in the morning when I'm underslept and waking up for a 6am start of my workday so I'm not fully in my right mind and I find that as I get more tattoos I experience this lot less. Tattoos are a really big deal in many ways and I don't think that it's necessarily weird or abnormal to sometimes have complicated feelings about them.

When my backpiece was really starting to come together, I remember walking past a mirror and catching a glimpse of myself. At first, I thought, "Holy shit, that guy is covered!" Then I thought, "That guy is me." I often have a similar reaction when I see, say, an MMA fighter who has full sleeves and maybe a big torso piece. Then I realize that I'm way more tattooed than that. I don't regret anything in those moments, but I am a little surprised that I'm surprised.

I've experienced this before. It's usually a very fleeting feeling, but I think it has to do with getting used to the change. I know I'd be a lot sadder if I woke up and a tattoo was missing.

I always have a dream that they disappeared during the healing process. Well, more like a nightmare :(!

Sorry I thought by the "..." you were jokingly (or perhaps not) referring to having a penis tattoo. I need to get my mind out of the gutter. Continue on, nothing to see here.

Whoa...no, sorry! One a my buds has a smiley-face on the head of his joint, that he did IN the joint...keep meaning to take some pix of his work, but he's heading back inside, so doubt I'll be able to.

i wouldnt say i regret any of them, but at times i do think i could have planned placement a little better. and as ive got older and my taste in what makes a good tattoo has changed a bit i wonder what i could have had done with more experience. but i love them all the same, well except for the ones i did 14 years ago. dont get pin and ink tattoos.

When my backpiece was really starting to come together, I remember walking past a mirror and catching a glimpse of myself. At first, I thought, "Holy shit, that guy is covered!" Then I thought, "That guy is me." I often have a similar reaction when I see, say, an MMA fighter who has full sleeves and maybe a big torso piece. Then I realize that I'm way more tattooed than that. I don't regret anything in those moments, but I am a little surprised that I'm surprised.

I'll get that too... see a picture someone took of me without a shirt, or catch a reflection in a mirror it takes me a sec to realize its ME.

Rob

I can definitely relate to this, happens to me after nearly all big sessions. Your body releases all these endorphins and adrenalin and what not while your getting tattooed, so it seems natural enough that theres going to be some sort of comedown. You just have to minimise the angst by eating well and avoiding stress, and of course checking out your new tattoo!

I was plain happy after my first (only 2.5 hours) and exhausted after my second (7 hours). Never sadness or shock - both were planned (second planned way better than the first) and at the end of the day I knew exactly what I was doing. I knew I was getting something permanent, and I think part of my planning process is playing the mind game of convincing myself before going under the needle that it was the right time and place to get the work done. I mean I honestly had "planned" for over 20 years to get two tattoos (one on each upper arm).

Anything to make ya happy, Brock!

Actually, my boy is covered in jailhouse, literally from head to foot. I'd love to get shots of all of it, but time and place just hasn't worked out.

It would be cool to get some pictures of all that. I know there is some stuff done in jail that is incredible. Is any of your buds stuff really good quality that it is impressive from behind bars?

I've never had the blues or regretted what I did, but when my sleeve was outlined it took several weeks to get used to it. I kept thinking, "What the fuck have I done??" But not in a bad way, I just couldn't believe that I did it. I've only been working on my tattoos for a year so I suppose I'll get used to them eventually, but I rarely look in the mirror and don't notice them. I tried to explain this feeling to a few non-tattood people, but they just kept thinking that I regretted getting them. No way, I'm planning my next sleeve and chest panel!

I've never had the blues or regretted what I did, but when my sleeve was outlined it took several weeks to get used to it. I kept thinking, "What the fuck have I done??" But not in a bad way, I just couldn't believe that I did it. I've only been working on my tattoos for a year so I suppose I'll get used to them eventually, but I rarely look in the mirror and don't notice them. I tried to explain this feeling to a few non-tattood people, but they just kept thinking that I regretted getting them. No way, I'm planning my next sleeve and chest panel!

There is a period of adjustment that many of us inked people go through. My first ones, the feelings were strongest, now I take them all in stride.

Rob

It would be cool to get some pictures of all that. I know there is some stuff done in jail that is incredible. Is any of your buds stuff really good quality that it is impressive from behind bars?

Most of his work is pretty good. He spent ten years inside, and went in as a member of a "social club" that had high standing. That gave him access to the best tattooers in there, and he got some wild stuff. Hopefully, I will be able to find some of it that I can post...lots of the pics I have, I wouldn't post here because of the representing.

Most of his work is pretty good. He spent ten years inside, and went in as a member of a "social club" that had high standing. That gave him access to the best tattooers in there, and he got some wild stuff. Hopefully, I will be able to find some of it that I can post...lots of the pics I have, I wouldn't post here because of the representing.

Very cool man. Looking forward to some rad pics.

I got my ROA backpiece finished today and noticed I've felt kinda blue, blah, meh, ever since I got home. It's not that I regret the tattoo, or there's anything wrong with it. To the contrary it's awesome. It turned out as good as I ever hoped it would. But finishing the backpiece is kinda like climbing Mt. Everest for me. Like a "how do I top this?" feeling.

I'm sure it'll go away by morning. I already have plans for getting an eagle on my chest for my birthday.

the ultimate blues/bummer is knowing how long it may take for my arm to be faded enough for a trad. japanese sleeve, all meanwhile doing a bunch of research/getting pysched about elements i want to have incorporated into it. its cool in that i can get excited for having something awsome to look forward to. but too much of looking at amazing tattoos can get me impatient, especially since i wont have any $$$$ to get any other work i may have wanted until this journey is complete. guess ill really have earned this sleeve when its all said and done!