Post-tattoo blues anyone?

stormface

I got some not so great tattoos 20 some odd years ago that kind of bum me out now. At the time I thought they were great, but having seen what great tattoos look like I get sad looking at that prime real estate being used up.

Now the main thing that bums me out is knowing I'm running out of space with so many artists I've yet to get work from.

I am so glad that I found this thread. I go through the same thing most of the time. Though like most everyone else has said, this feeling is fleeting. It only lasts for about a day or two. I think it has to relate to the change that has taken place. You body is exhausted from the impact of the tattoo machine and the healing process. It is also a change that you have to prepare for mentally as well. Your brain knows that you have been in some sort of pain for the past few hours, but it take a while for the mind to comprehend that it's permanent. Even though you may have planned it out for months, change is change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I felt a certain apprehension when I thought about the effect it might have on my career. The great thing about tattoos is that they can help you just accept/celebrate who you are, regardless/because of your appearance. Although people might judge you, they can take a flying leap.

Im kind of feeling this. Everytime I look at my leg, I realize it's marked forever, with a really big tattoo. I didnt really think it out that much. Not to say that I dont love it, Im enamored of it, but I feel a little bit like a took a big leap, idk how to explain it, but when I look at my leg, I finally feel really tattooed. Not like heavily tattooed, but like I feel like a tattooed person for the first time. The other ones are no bigger than my palm to my first knuckle of my hand, so they didnt make me feel like I was that tattooed. It's scary. I realize I'm going to look like this for every day of my life, until I am an old lady. And while I love my tattoos, I want to really think hard about getting any more. It is a big commitment to be tattooed. One that shouldnt be taken lightly.

Im kind of feeling this. Everytime I look at my leg, I realize it's marked forever, with a really big tattoo. I didnt really think it out that much. Not to say that I dont love it, Im enamored of it, but I feel a little bit like a took a big leap, idk how to explain it, but when I look at my leg, I finally feel really tattooed. Not like heavily tattooed, but like I feel like a tattooed person for the first time. The other ones are no bigger than my palm to my first knuckle of my hand, so they didnt make me feel like I was that tattooed. It's scary. I realize I'm going to look like this for every day of my life, until I am an old lady. And while I love my tattoos, I want to really think hard about getting any more. It is a big commitment to be tattooed. One that shouldnt be taken lightly.

I felt kind of like this when I got my first knee done... it felt like a whole different level of commitment than the ones on my calves.

I felt this way when I got my inner arm done. It was like whoa I truly am a tattooed person now. But I think getting over that initial shock and plunge into big tattoos makes the rest much more exciting. I also find I don't worry so much when they show because I feel like this is the person I am now. The transition from a person with tattoos to a tattooed person kind of makes you more confident with them. My example being an upcoming charity event. My first one I've attended with tattoos I can't hide. The last one was before I got my arm and shoulders done, so it will be a big shock. I struggled with trying to find a shawl or something, but realized my tattoos are my accessories and I shouldn't hide them even if it means ill get stares and comments all night.

I also completely understand thinking more about tattoos before you get them. While I can't wait to have my arms completely done, I'm finding I'm being more cautious as I think of ideas for how to fill them in. I'm fine with waiting, I don't want to rush and get something then years later wish I did something else. It's important and definitely requires time to do it right.

I know how you feel, Delicious. I woke up feeling the same way today. My tattoo is so big. Maybe I'm fooling myself and I'm the only one who thinks it is nice and maybe others are snickering at my poor taste behind my back. I'm not so sure about the dingle balls and now I'm thinking it needs a butterfly so that means it'll only get bigger. Then I see it in a mirror or by accident and I'm like hey, that's really nice, how can I think such silly things.

Yeah, the transition from "person with tattoos" to "tattooed person" is definitely weird and kind of hits you without you expecting it! It is an adjustment, although I feel like once I have moved through it, I will feel way less new tattoo anxiety in the future!

Yeah since I've gone below the elbow this year it feels a bit different. Having my half-sleeve peek out of my t-shirt is a lot different feeling than having extensive work all the way to the wrist. I'm definitely getting different looks from people and I'm not quite used to it yet. The weight of what I'm deciding to do with my body is finally hitting me now that my first sleeve is just about done. Being "tattooed" is definitely different than "having a tattoo".

I havent heard of many different feelings after getting a tattoo. myself after i get tattooed i tend to get a cold lol. when i get tattooed I get so calm that i get really cold during a tattoo and the end result is a stuff nose and feeling like im sick for a couple days. Its really odd but my gf is the same way.

As i get more tattoos i do get a lil depressed but mostly because ill be really sad when i have no where else to tattoo. I plan on covering my whole body with the exception of my face and genitals. but everywhere else ill tattoo. and when i have no more room ill be very depressed.

Getting tattoo makes me very happy and relaxed so to loose that ill be depressed. But as for this threat I havent gotten the post tattoo blues, yet. but i do get a slight cold afterwards!

I havent heard of many different feelings after getting a tattoo. myself after i get tattooed i tend to get a cold lol. when i get tattooed I get so calm that i get really cold during a tattoo and the end result is a stuff nose and feeling like im sick for a couple days. Its really odd but my gf is the same way.

As i get more tattoos i do get a lil depressed but mostly because ill be really sad when i have no where else to tattoo. I plan on covering my whole body with the exception of my face and genitals. but everywhere else ill tattoo. and when i have no more room ill be very depressed.

Getting tattoo makes me very happy and relaxed so to loose that ill be depressed. But as for this threat I havent gotten the post tattoo blues, yet. but i do get a slight cold afterwards!

Here you go buddy. Always makes me feel better after watching.

• 1 month later...

Hey. Im really in this boat right now. Im new to this forum and just had my first tattoo 2 weeks ago. I love it. It looks great, but now that I have it. Im filled with all this regret and guilt. It makes no sense at all in my head. Of all the things Ive gone through, this is running through my mind constantly. I grew up really poor and now Im middle class, but I feel so damn guilty like I should have given that money to a homeless person or something. Its kinda stupid but its been bothering me a lot.

Every time I see myself in the mirror its like "Wtf man. Why did I do this?". The first two days were great. I felt great, felt confident, showed off my tattoo and everything and after that. I just cant stop thinking like Ive made some mistake.

Sorry to be a downer, kinda just putting it out there. Maybe get some help or something with getting through this.

Hey. Im really in this boat right now. Im new to this forum and just had my first tattoo 2 weeks ago. I love it. It looks great, but now that I have it. Im filled with all this regret and guilt. It makes no sense at all in my head. Of all the things Ive gone through, this is running through my mind constantly. I grew up really poor and now Im middle class, but I feel so damn guilty like I should have given that money to a homeless person or something. Its kinda stupid but its been bothering me a lot.

Every time I see myself in the mirror its like "Wtf man. Why did I do this?". The first two days were great. I felt great, felt confident, showed off my tattoo and everything and after that. I just cant stop thinking like Ive made some mistake.

Sorry to be a downer, kinda just putting it out there. Maybe get some help or something with getting through this.

If you only feel like it was a mistake because of the money you spent on it, don't. If you could afford to get it, then why should you worry? If you feel like donating to the homeless, thats great, but you should be able to, as a middle class person, get the things you want for yourself, without feeling like the money should have been donated to the poor. If you think about it, you just made a long term investment. You now have a possession that cannot be taken away from you, that won't need to be replaced, that you can't possibly lose, and that no one can break.

Everyone deserves to have something nice. In the scheme of things, you have your whole life to do good, this was just one moment when you took some time and resources for yourself. There will be plenty of opportunities in life to help people in need and your tattoo money isn't going to be the deal breaker here. If anything use this a motivation to try to find ways to help people in need in the future or find a way to put money aside to causes that are actually doing good. It's not just about giving people money, it's about giving the right people money who know how to make it work for the people who need it.

Everyone deserves to have something nice. In the scheme of things, you have your whole life to do good, this was just one moment when you took some time and resources for yourself. There will be plenty of opportunities in life to help people in need and your tattoo money isn't going to be the deal breaker here. If anything use this a motivation to try to find ways to help people in need in the future or find a way to put money aside to causes that are actually doing good. It's not just about giving people money, it's about giving the right people money who know how to make it work for the people who need it.

go David Flores@

I felt this way when I got my inner arm done. It was like whoa I truly am a tattooed person now. But I think getting over that initial shock and plunge into big tattoos makes the rest much more exciting. I also find I don't worry so much when they show because I feel like this is the person I am now. The transition from a person with tattoos to a tattooed person kind of makes you more confident with them. My example being an upcoming charity event. My first one I've attended with tattoos I can't hide. The last one was before I got my arm and shoulders done, so it will be a big shock. I struggled with trying to find a shawl or something, but realized my tattoos are my accessories and I shouldn't hide them even if it means ill get stares and comments all night.

I also completely understand thinking more about tattoos before you get them. While I can't wait to have my arms completely done, I'm finding I'm being more cautious as I think of ideas for how to fill them in. I'm fine with waiting, I don't want to rush and get something then years later wish I did something else. It's important and definitely requires time to do it right.

I can say I understand a bit from time to time about the kinda shock about being tattooed. This only really happened recently when I looked down at my legs at realized "holy shit that is mostly tattoos...and I got appointments booked out till 2014". Then came me visiting my extended family over the weekend and not wearing long sleeves and jeans. Let's just say I got some really shitty responses and left early. (That by the way was the first negitive reaction I have ever received at least to my face). I really like what I got and have been looking forward to getting this stuff done since I was 12 and marker-ing in tattoos on myself. The only thing I know I will regret will be when I run out of space and when a great artist comes up and I don't have room for whatever it is I want. This especially effects me because I like HUGE tattoos (it seems I do limbs or most of a limb at a time).

I've talked to a bunch of people older and wiser than me. 99% of the time the biggest regrets was NOT doing something.

I know that my problem makes no sense. I just cant bare to look at the thing anymore. I still love other people's tattoos. I love the artwork and Ive been going over a lot of the galleries on this site...

I just think that Tattoos, as much as I like seeing them. I just cant bare to see the one on my own body. Its pretty embarrassing for me to be saying this since I thought of this tattoo for years and years. I guess I just cant stare at my own....Im really depressed about this.

I know that my problem makes no sense. I just cant bare to look at the thing anymore. I still love other people's tattoos. I love the artwork and Ive been going over a lot of the galleries on this site...

I just think that Tattoos, as much as I like seeing them. I just cant bare to see the one on my own body. Its pretty embarrassing for me to be saying this since I thought of this tattoo for years and years. I guess I just cant stare at my own....Im really depressed about this.

Not to minimise what you're going through, but you've only had the tattoo for a couple of weeks so give it some time. When it comes down to it, by getting tattooed you're doing a pretty heavy thing by permanently altering the appearance of your body, your perception of yourself, people's perception of you, you're maybe coming up against taboos...it's a lot to take on, and I don't think you can really prepare yourself for it beforehand. I think it's okay to have complicated feelings towards your tattoos. But really, give it some time, and if you decide that you really can't stand being tattooed, there's a lot of really great stuff here about tattoo removal.

Graeme is right. In time the tattoo might not being something you even think about or see anymore when you look in the mirror. It's brand new so it's fresh on your mind, so give yourself a chance to stop dwelling on it and you'll hopefully at least stop being upset about it even if you decide that you aren't going to get any more.

As for me, I just finished a chest panel on my right side so now both sides are done. I had a brief moment of "Have I gone overboard?" which was immediately followed by "It only seems like you went overboard on the chest because you need your sleeves extended to 3/4 and your back done to balance things out." So the blues don't last long for me. I love catching site of my tattoos, knowing that they're there when they're covered up, and that my 21 month old daughter says "Kitty!" every time she sees the lucky cat on my inner arm.

I had a brief moment of "Have I gone overboard?" which was immediately followed by "It only seems like you went overboard on the chest because you need your sleeves extended to 3/4 and your back done to balance things out."

I've gone through this exact same thought process so many times—soothing these anxieties with plans for more tattoos. That would probably seem extremely counterintuitive to a plainskin.

You should spend money on yourself. That's why you get out of bed most days and go off to work.

I don't take money out of the household to get inked. I save up a little here and there until I have enough for the next tattoo. I still find a few bucks to give to a local food pantry, most people give nothing.

I was a poor kid too, had almost nothing growing up and today I'm pretty far from where I was. I don't buy myself watches or jewelry, I do have a real nice house though. But the poor stigma sticks with me. I can be pretty frugal at times and try not to waste anything.

Rob