Any cool Christian tattoos?

shinobi

I spent a year in a "youth home" in Georgia as a teen. It was something.

It definitely contributed to making me the person that I am today (but probably not exactly in the ways they intended).

I hear that. Bigtime.

TO TATTOO OR NOT TO TATTOO

So, there seems to be many different viewpoints in christianity, but the more "traditional" views, especially of the hardshell variety, seem to be more or less inline with those offered on the site referenced.

C'mon you sinners, whattaya think?!?!?!?!?

I think that the author of that site is extremely far outside the christian mainstream in likely all of his thoughts (ramblings). The main page has a counter for how many people have died since you opened it. And this guy is trying to tell you that the 1611 King James Bible is the best and most accurate translation, which is ridiculous. Here is an example of a guy that is anti-tattoo, but MUCH more reasonable and I think closer to the North American mainstream 'christian' position. It's a pretty long video. Has a 'repented tattooer' in it though who some might find interesting.

"
That said, I always thought that if you are a member of a club, and publicly identify yourself as such, then you should follow the rules of the club. If I tell people "the bible says it, I believe it, and that's that!", then I for sure should be hewing to the word, right?

... No offense meant to anyone, nor denigration of any religious belief intended.

I publicly identify myself as a 'christian', but I guess the thing is that being a christian doesn't really have a set of rules to follow other than "Love God, and Love Your Neighbor"*. The entire concept of becoming a christian was meant set people free from oppressive rules! Unfortunately, people seem to love rules - or perhaps I should say that they love to rule over others - and as a result you end up with a laundry list of stuff christians aren't supposed to do that really have little to no basis in anything the bible says. Don't dance, don't drink, don't play cards, don't wear shorts, don't wear pants (for ladies), ladies don't cut your hair, guys always cut your hair, no buttons on your shirts, no watching TV, no cars that aren't black, no cars at all.... I could go on all night!

Oh, and certainly no offense taken!

* upon further thought I will also concede "be baptized" and "have communion" as something like 'rules' for christians.

Totally random I know - a few years ago my best friend found a large porcelain face Jesus doll that looks EXACTLY like my Dad did when I was a little kid. Totally creepy. She offered to give it to me but I thought it best if she kept it. I just pull it out to get the heebie-jeebies every so often when I'm at her house.

Here is an example of a guy that is anti-tattoo, but MUCH more reasonable and I think closer to the North American mainstream 'christian' position. It's a pretty long video. Has a 'repented tattooer' in it though who some might find interesting.

"

Very slick. He debunks the usual arguments to make you feel like he is on your side, then brings up a bunch of new arguments, almost in an apologetic manner. He comes across as a folksy, good old boy, but this has a very calculated approach.

I've got a sacred heart and a giant St. Francis portrait that takes up most of my stomach. I'm nowhere near being religious, they just ended up cheongsam things that hold a higher meaning than the Christian thing. I'll don pictures. I'm at work, so I can't take my shirt off.

Ah, Sister Mary Elephant loves you for 'em, boyo!

I think that the author of that site is extremely far outside the christian mainstream in likely all of his thoughts (ramblings).

I wouldn't classify them as ramblings, he seems to have grounded his position in his beliefs, and backed that up with those portions of the bible that he specifies.

Is he "outside the christian mainstream"? Well, if you define mainstream as Luthera, Episcopal, Catholic, Baptist, etc., then yeah, probably, but by the time you get to Pentacostals, Holiness, Charismatic, well, then he's right there with them, from what I have seen and heard over the years.

The main page has a counter for how many people have died since you opened it.

Pretty simple to calculate the number of deaths per second worldwide and start a count running when the page is opened.

And this guy is trying to tell you that the 1611 King James Bible is the best and most accurate translation, which is ridiculous.

Just for the sake of discussion, what is the best and most accurate translation of the bible? Careful now, you know as well as I that each and every flavor of christian has it's own peculiar taste in that!

Here is an example of a guy that is anti-tattoo, but MUCH more reasonable and I think closer to the North American mainstream 'christian' position.

But bottom line, his opinions and beliefs are no different than those espoused on the site I referenced. He dresses it down a bit, gets it a little slicker, a little more suburban, but in the end, gee, you're still lost. Again, you would have to define "mainstream" here.

I publicly identify myself as a 'christian', but I guess the thing is that being a christian doesn't really have a set of rules to follow other than "Love God, and Love Your Neighbor"*. The entire concept of becoming a christian was meant set people free from oppressive rules! Unfortunately, people seem to love rules - or perhaps I should say that they love to rule over others - and as a result you end up with a laundry list of stuff christians aren't supposed to do that really have little to no basis in anything the bible says. Don't dance, don't drink, don't play cards, don't wear shorts, don't wear pants (for ladies), ladies don't cut your hair, guys always cut your hair, no buttons on your shirts, no watching TV, no cars that aren't black, no cars at all.... I could go on all night!

I hear you. Really, we need to look at the difference between faith and religion. You know, one of the biggest differences betwixt various christian groups is their position on the bible. Some discount the old testament, say that it is "nailed to the cross" and that only the new is to be followed, some follow both, and some, especially British Israelism and Christian Identity, follow the old.

Oh, and certainly no offense taken!

Glad to heard it!

* upon further thought I will also concede "be baptized" and "have communion" as something like 'rules' for christians.

Ah, there we are in those gray areas again. So, if I live a good life, follow the precepts of the bible, love god, love my neighbor, but I don't have someone "baptize" me, (and that's a whole other kettle of mess-what type of baptism is good enough for you?!), or even if I DO get baptised, I don't "have communion", then I've got A/C problems in the "next life"? Communion...is that as in communion of the minds, i.e. fellowshipping, or as in "Hoc est enum Corpus Meum"?

It's all equal to me, Shaun, I just can't get my head around people letting other people tell them what they should or shouldn't do, based solely on an ancient creation legend. I know that even in the bad old days when I was coming up, there was no huge amount of opprobrium from the actual mainstream churches concerning tattooing. I even met priest and ministers who were tattooed! The fundies, on the other hand...

Again, I'm not tryina piss anyone off, so if this whole subject is lame, Mods, feel free to delete my posts.

Pretty simple to calculate the number of deaths per second worldwide and start a count running when the page is opened.

Yes, simple; but who does that?

Just for the sake of discussion, what is the best and most accurate translation of the bible? Careful now, you know as well as I that each and every flavor of christian has it's own peculiar taste in that!

I'd say any translation is fine, though I believe it's widely acknowledged that the KJV is one of the least accurate (just by being 400 years old, it doesn't have the benefit of the most recently found New Testament manuscripts).

But bottom line, his opinions and beliefs are no different than those espoused on the site I referenced. He dresses it down a bit, gets it a little slicker, a little more suburban, but in the end, gee, you're still lost. Again, you would have to define "mainstream" here.

Yeah, I guess 'mainstream' to me is really just the people I know; most of whom would be embarassed by the way your referenced site projects the image of christianity. I'm not in touch with fundamentalists to the same extent as you.

It's all equal to me, Shaun, I just can't get my head around people letting other people tell them what they should or shouldn't do, based solely on an ancient creation legend.

Well I hear you on that. In a similar way, I can't get my head around people letting other people tell them how to live based solely on the results of an 'election'. If there's one thing that christians are less tolerant of than tattoos, it would be anarchists so I'm doubly in trouble (I tend to keep both to myself for the most part).

Here's something I heard the other day from a coworker who is also 'christian' when he saw one of my tattoos: "aren't you worried that you'll be tormented in the afterlife? I heard that if you have tattoos and you end up going to hell then you get tormented by what you're tattooed by. I don't even know what being tormented by an anchor and a lantern would consist of!?

Yes, simple; but who does that?[/Quote]

Guess he's just tryina make a point.

I'd say any translation is fine, though I believe it's widely acknowledged that the KJV is one of the least accurate (just by being 400 years old, it doesn't have the benefit of the most recently found New Testament manuscripts).

The KJV is the standard of most protestants that I know.......did I miss something with those NT transcripts? Didn't know they had found more???

So you would have no problem with the Douay version, or any of the others printed under Catholic Canon Law? Comendable...I guess I have run across too many nutjobs-most of those ol' boys would pluck their eyeballs out if they happened to read a papist text!

Yeah, I guess 'mainstream' to me is really just the people I know; most of whom would be embarassed by the way your referenced site projects the image of christianity. I'm not in touch with fundamentalists to the same extent as you.

Believe me, I try not to be! For a number of years I was sorta kinda stuck dealing with a group of hardcores-First Church of Christ types, they were pretty bad. Dealing in dirt and stealing in the name of the lord. When I was coming up, I had some truck with hardshells, at least they were pretty straight-up about who and what they were. Preached for a summer for a little river-baptised church, so yeah, I've been in touch with a few, but not recently, hence my question about prevailing attitudes.

Well I hear you on that. In a similar way, I can't get my head around people letting other people tell them how to live based solely on the results of an 'election'. If there's one thing that christians are less tolerant of than tattoos, it would be anarchists so I'm doubly in trouble (I tend to keep both to myself for the most part).

No problem understanding that. Personally, I feel that we need a revolution in this country, and that there will be one-just a question of time. As for anarchy, that's all good, but when one proclaims anarchy, then one needs to divorce themselves of all the trappings of the system they disdain. Turn out them lights, boy!

Here's something I heard the other day from a coworker who is also 'christian' when he saw one of my tattoos: "aren't you worried that you'll be tormented in the afterlife? I heard that if you have tattoos and you end up going to hell then you get tormented by what you're tattooed by. I don't even know what being tormented by an anchor and a lantern would consist of!?

I'm not sure either, but remind me to get some nekkid womens tattooed on me!!!

You know, I think I'll stick with the Wotanist concept of hel as a place of gloom where you aren't able to fight, and you never get to sit in the great hall of Valhalla with the rest of the warriors.

Very slick. He debunks the usual arguments to make you feel like he is on your side, then brings up a bunch of new arguments, almost in an apologetic manner. He comes across as a folksy, good old boy, but this has a very calculated approach.

Ugh! I watched the whole thing.

I feel every bit as judged by him as I did by that other site we've been discussing... except maybe even more so and worse because he pretends to be so un-judgey initially.

Gah!

I'm working on my Master's Degree in theology at an ecumenical institute that doesn't lean toward any particular Christian Religion. When you say most accurate, that opens a can of worms. Most accurate as in close to the original words, or the original meaning? Some words don't mean the same thing when you consider the context and time they were written in. They will not let us reference the King James version for class work and the preferred version of the bible is the New Revised Standard Version.

I'm currently working on my Thesis and I can tell you that it's no wonder religions are so fucked up. You have a bunch of ignorant imbeciles who have never actually studied the bible reading a 400 year old translation of a translation and treating it like a text book that is to be followed literally. As one of my professors liked to point out; in John 10:9 Jesus says, "I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." Do they think Jesus has a door knob in his belly? After all, he said he is the door.

I'm working on my Master's Degree in theology at an ecumenical institute that doesn't lean toward any particular Christian Religion. When you say most accurate, that opens a can of worms. Most accurate as in close to the original words, or the original meaning? Some words don't mean the same thing when you consider the context and time they were written in. They will not let us reference the King James version for class work and the preferred version of the bible is the New Revised Standard Version.

I'm currently working on my Thesis and I can tell you that it's no wonder religions are so fucked up. You have a bunch of ignorant imbeciles who have never actually studied the bible reading a 400 year old translation of a translation and treating it like a text book that is to be followed literally. As one of my professors liked to point out; in John 10:9 Jesus says, "I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture." Do they think Jesus has a door knob in his belly? After all, he said he is the door.

I would think that Jesus' knob would be a little lower than that.

to everything turn, turn,turn...

- - - Updated - - -

Probably shouldn't even relate this one, but hey...

So, what, maybe 32 years ago, young and running wild, had hair down to my shoulders, beard down to my belt, one of my Brothers asks me to help him move some furniture at an old ladies house. Okay, we go there-she was a lady from his wife's church, and turns out she's an artist, works in oils. We move the furniture, and before we leave, she's all agitated, asks me if she can ask me a question. Sure. "Our church has commissioned me to paint a picture of Jesus for the sanctuary, and I've always worked from life...would you sit for me for the painting?"

Um...you gotta feature, I'm a shiftless scooter tramp, she's like 80 years old, all religious and holy and grandmotherly...what could I say?

So, if you ever are in a little church outside Chicago, and you think the pic of Jesus in there looks a tad familiar...

- - - Updated - - -

So, what, maybe 32 years ago, young and running wild, had hair down to my shoulders, beard down to my belt, one of my Brothers asks me to help him move some furniture at an old ladies house. Okay, we go there-she was a lady from his wife's church, and turns out she's an artist, works in oils. We move the furniture, and before we leave, she's all agitated, asks me if she can ask me a question. Sure. "Our church has commissioned me to paint a picture of Jesus for the sanctuary, and I've always worked from life...would you sit for me for the painting?"

Um...you gotta feature, I'm a shiftless scooter tramp, she's like 80 years old, all religious and holy and grandmotherly...what could I say?

So, if you ever are in a little church outside Chicago, and you think the pic of Jesus in there looks a tad familiar...

This story basically just made my day.

I hear you on how messed-up religion is, and on the differences of translation. The King James version was, if remembry serves, translated from the Greek, which was translated from the vulgate. Personally, I still use the Knox translation of the vulgate in light of the Greek & Hebrew originals. Anyhow you slice it, you can read most anything into it. Interesting stories, but that's as far as I'd take it.

Dave Quiggle is a rad illustrator and tattoo artist. He sells pretty awesome tattoo flash in his online shop.. as well as a sketchbook. He's a Christian and his work is really unlike most typical "Christian" tattoos. I would love to have a custom tattoo by him. Actually my first tattoo is based off of one of his deisgns. Check him out!

* Artwork by Dave Quiggle *

• 1 month later...

- - - Updated - - -

How did I miss this? This rules!

The giant praying Jesus hands on the campus of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa were modeled from the hands of a (distant) relation of mine... a real life carpenter... and probably about as shiftless at the time as you were @Dan S

Those hands are creepy, but less creepy, having met their real life owner.