Hey guys, from Michigan

Casper

Hey, I'm Casper. I have been searching and searching for the past 4 months and finally I think I have found where I need to be. I am NOT an artist by any means but i am a collector and I have More plans than I can afford (seems to always be the problem) but I have been searching for inspirations on a few projects that I will be getting underway and hopefully I will find that here with new pieces and a much needed cover up. I am 29 and married to a loving woman who not only puts up with my need for art but inspires some of it as well she as well has some beautiful work, I look forward to insight and advice from collectors and artists alike!

Have you looked at the tattoo removal section here? Some people here have gotten and are getting really incredible coverups after some laser and there's a lot of great information here about that. Don't get me wrong, reapers are cool, but there are options other than blacking in your back. Hope this board helps you out, and welcome.

well my wife and I did discuss that option and it is probably not the way i want to go, as far as the current piece it isnt too incredibly large and I have actually been wanting the reaper for some time now and it seems as it would be an easy cover to a piece that I actually would love. as well as I will be getting both of my childrens baby foot prints tattooed on my calf or calf's with name and birth date, adding a G.I. Joe to a cross piece in memory of my cousin. and a full sleeve of god knows what lol

- - - Updated - - -

I have actually added a picture of it from my webcam to my gallery (took forever) and it will show ya what I am talking about

Not sure how you would cover that with a reaper, it's at the top of your back and pretty big tattoo. If you aren't going to do any laser sessions I would consider some sort of japanese imagery that could incoporate some dark clouds or windbars to cover up all that black. From what I see a coverup is going to mean you have to tattoo nearly half of your back, at that point why not go for a back piece?

Without seeing it in person I can't say for sure, but that is my internet 2 cents.

well it is going to end up being a full out back piece and i was already anticipating it being tough to do. hence I am searching far and wide for advice and help with it. My original idea actually has the current Tattoo being something in the background.. a cloud scene is a great idea! . as far as the japanese thing goes I dont really dig any of the traditional japanese covers that i have seen. a few koi a dragon or a samurai warrior, the way i figure is if i can get this reaper idea to work some way it isnt going to be with my art skills or creative vision so i am definitly open to suggestions. and i appreciate any insight/visions/advice given!

I think the reaper could work as long as you do it below the coverup. It would have to be some sort of far out scene similar to the one attached, drawn by my friend and co worker Ashley Howell. The reason I suggested Japanese, is not only because of the black, but because of how the color can help add contrast. If you only use black in the coverup you could end up with something that looks like a big blob. The key I think is to find ways to incorporate some color in the tattoo, but without being able to to look at it up close and take a tracing of your back, I can't really tell you yes it can totally be done or no it can't because the stuff really has to line up when you are dealing with coverups. but thats the kind of stuff I would play with if you want a reaper.

I get where your coming from and I see where your going, do you think if it took more a horror and less a cartoon style it could still work?

I suppose anything is possible if you find the right tattooer and really at this point that is what you should be researching. I know you are from Michigan, are you looking to get work done locally or are you more concerned with artist and willing to travel.

Well at this point I think you should approach him with what you have so far, which seems to be you want a reaper and you want it to be in a realistic horror style, that should be enough to get the process started. A tattooer knows their strength and capabilities and what works within their style and might have some better ideas than discussed here or tell you someone who can execute what you want. If not, no harm done, come back here, we can regroup and think of a new plan of attack.

Well at this point I think you should approach him with what you have so far, which seems to be you want a reaper and you want it to be in a realistic horror style, that should be enough to get the process started. A tattooer knows their strength and capabilities and what works within their style and might have some better ideas than discussed here or tell you someone who can execute what you want. If not, no harm done, come back here, we can regroup and think of a new plan of attack.

ok, so with your advice I approached my guy today with some small ideas and he can see my visions as well as he has some ideas... reaper with a darker sky background! so I am on mission to find and piece together my reaper and get him all of my ideas as time is of the essence!!! first session scheduled for feb16th!