Tattoo Shaving/Ingrown hair

slayer9019

uhm, this is going to sound absolutely terrible but here it goes.... Pure Romance makes this stuff called "coochy" (insert laugh here) my wife uses it and i as well to prevent sensitive skin from gaining razor burn and ingrown hairs. it truly works and if you can set aside from the fact that it is pure romance and in a pink bottle it may be a solution... or you could just tough out the annoying ingrowns lol

uhm, this is going to sound absolutely terrible but here it goes.... Pure Romance makes this stuff called "coochy" (insert laugh here) my wife uses it and i as well to prevent sensitive skin from gaining razor burn and ingrown hairs. it truly works and if you can set aside from the fact that it is pure romance and in a pink bottle it may be a solution... or you could just tough out the annoying ingrowns lol

HAHAHA. I might give it a shot.

Good, sharp cutthroat is the best-cuts the hair off straight and clean..but you don't often find 'em being used in a shop! I might hafta check that Coochie stuff myself-I get hellacious ingrowns, especially if I get too liberal with the lotion.

Yea I close to stopped using lotion. For me at least, just a little little bit a day seems to heal the best.

Good, sharp cutthroat is the best-cuts the hair off straight and clean..but you don't often find 'em being used in a shop! I might hafta check that Coochie stuff myself-I get hellacious ingrowns, especially if I get too liberal with the lotion.

it was a god send for me, i wear under shirts for work like thermals and mock turtle necks as i work in a colder atmosphere and the ingrowns and breakouts suck on the bottom of my neck and the coochie stuff is amazing... hoping if you do take a leap of faith that it works for you as it does for me

I have coarse, curly hair (North African here), and get horrible ingrowns.

I switched my aftercare from using Aquaphor for almost the first week to only two days (I figured out it clogs the pores a little), and also switched my lotion from Lubriderm to Cetaphil, as it's supposed to be better for that.

Once stuff is healed enough not to require moisturizing, TendSkin is the best stuff I've ever used for ingrowns/razor bumps.

I have been wondering/worried about this myself.

I am starting a half sleeve that is going onto my chest on Thursday...

Do you guys shave the area before you go in? Or do you let the artist decide what needs to be removed?

I was concerned about them using a cheap razor and then ending up with a bunch of ingrowns pushing out the ink a few days later.

I might have to pick up some coochy... lol

Edited by ARdysfunction
i suck at spelling

Do you guys shave the area before you go in? Or do you let the artist decide what needs to be removed?

If I'm not sure what we're doing, or if I'm going in for a new piece, I let the artist do it.

If I know exactly where we're going in advance, I'll shave myself if possible. That way, I can make sure I get the pores nice and open first, etc...

I was concerned about them using a cheap razor and then ending up with a bunch of ingrowns pushing out the ink a few days later.

being the super hairy Italian I am, I HAVE to shave before I go. Otherwise they would be sitting there all day. Plus it makes it easier to just sit down and start tattooing.

Heads up sometimes you shave more than you have to like I did. I shaved my ENTIRE left leg since I thought he was going to be drawing on it....well now I just have an entirely shaved leg. I feel it goes with getting tattooed.

My chest is the only place I really have a problem with in-growns. I've had tattooing on my chest twice in the last twelve months. First time I just shaved with a good new razor and went along. I got some nasty ingrowns from that. The second time I had my wife wax the area(she's a licensed cosmetologist and esthetician so it was done right), and it worked out great. It took a bit of planning though. She said it takes about 14 days for waxed hair to start to grow back so we did it 10 days before the tattooing, that way the skin in the area had a chance to recover from the waxing trauma but the hair wasn't back yet. May not be a good idea, but it worked for me.

One of the best tips I have for preventing ingrowns is to exfoliate before shaving. That and some good old fashioned hydrocortisone cream at the first sign of redness worked wonders for me in the days before I switched to waxing my girly bits.

Yeah I try to keep the area that's going to be tattooed exfoliated and that's helped a fair bit.

Heads up sometimes you shave more than you have to like I did.

Yeah... So Thursday morning I decide to shave my left arm and chest because I am sure that is where we are going.

After we get the final drawing hammered out we decide to switch arms and did not have enough time to even get to my chest.

So now I have a half shaved chest and no tattoo there... looks nice. LOL

• 4 months later...

I just got this issue real bad on my sleeve. It happened before when I got my chest done as well. I had let my tattoo artist shave my arm for my sleeve because that's my standard operating procedure. About a week after the tattoo, my hair started growing back and now I've got these unsightly ass ingrown hairs all over my arm.

I can identify with the other African dude. I'm west African and get ingrown hairs extremely easily. I've got some tea tree oil I use for my face but I'm not sure if I can put it on my arm. Also should I stop using lotion or apply far less? My peeling is almost done but I've still been moisturizing as usual. I've got like 3 clusters of bumps on my arm right now it looks so gross... And it's f**king hot outside too.

I have issues with ingrown hairs as well. I have been working on my Koi on my left arm for two sessions and the first time I shaved against the grain and my wife stated that was the problem. Well this last session I went with the grain still having issues. I think I might have to break down and go with the cream mentioned as well.....

I shave the area to be tattooed myself before I go in,it saves time at the shop too.

If y'all have too much pride to go in and buy a big pink bottle of Coochie, Edge just started making a couple shaving creams specifically for... manscaping, I guess. Edge Body, comes in like a squeezy bottle, I haven't tried it out yet but it exists.