January 2013 Tattoo of the Month Contest

Lochlan

A new year and a new month so that means it's time for the monthly contest.....take all that holiday money, get a good tattoo and post it up here to win a Scott Sylvia T-shirt!! Maybe the shirt will motivate people to get better tattoos........or just the insight you'll have a good looking tattoo years down the line. A cheap tattoo is just that so shopping around for the lowest price will probably give you a tattoo with the lowest likes.....

LST Monthly Contest

The tattoo picture that gets posted in this thread for January 2013 with the most 'likes' for the month wins! The contest starts on the first of the month and ends on the last day of the month.

Contest Guidlines

-Your tattoo picture must be posted in this thread (both tattooers and tattoo customers can win) in order to qualify.

-Include with your photo/post...tattoo artist name & tattoo shop.

-You MUST be the one who has the tattoo or did the tattoo.

-You can 'like' as many tattoos as you want.

-It can be a finished or in progress tattoo.

To increase your 'likes' or to show off another's great tattoo share the link to the post in this thread on facebook, twitter, etc. - to get votes from your friends..

Lets do it.........

Hopefully we get enough done to see the direction of the project. We have 12 hours of tattoo time scheduled at the end of the month. I would post the study for my back on here, but I need to ask Kore if he is ok with that first.

I think this should be for finished work, not ongoing. I plan on posting the final shot of my back-piece for judgement when it's 100% complete. Don't think it's a tattoo contest if we have unfinished tattoos. No disrespect to you @Brock Varty . Aren't you looking to show off and be judged on the finished project? Show the beauty that the artist created, and commitment to the tattoo! The appointments, expense and of course handling the pain. The journey is shared on "Latest Tattoo Lowdown". That's where we all compliment and look forward to the finished project!!!!

I think this should be for finished work, not ongoing. I plan on posting the final shot of my back-piece for judgement when it's 100% complete. Don't think it's a tattoo contest if we have unfinished tattoos. No disrespect to you @Brock Varty . Aren't you looking to show off and be judged on the finished project? Show the beauty that the artist created, and commitment to the tattoo! The appointments, expense and of course handling the pain. The journey is shared on "Latest Tattoo Lowdown". That's where we all compliment and look forward to the finished project!!!!

Well said. You make an excellent point. I will withold entering the competition until it is done. Until then... "Latest Tattoo Lowdown" here I come!!

Did you ask to mix the maple leaves and the mums?

To answer your question: it evolved from an outer arm tattoo which looked incomplete until we made it a half-sleeve over about five sessions in total. My understanding is that it's okay to mix maple and mums because they both bloom in autumn months -- unlike, say, mixing cherry blossoms with peonies. What I wanted was a "traditional" Japanese tattoo filtered through Kim's unique style -- and that's exactly what I got, so I'm super stoked on it. Next up, I'm hoping for a dragon by Seth Wood on my other arm -- but I've got to start saving my pennies!

To answer your question: it evolved from an outer arm tattoo which looked incomplete until we made it a half-sleeve over about five sessions in total. My understanding is that it's okay to mix maple and mums because they both bloom in autumn months -- unlike, say, mixing cherry blossoms with peonies. What I wanted was a "traditional" Japanese tattoo filtered through Kim's unique style -- and that's exactly what I got, so I'm super stoked on it. Next up, I'm hoping for a dragon by Seth Wood on my other arm -- but I've got to start saving my pennies!

I really like the piece you have from Kim. I think you got exactly what you wanted. As far as my understanding goes, you can only mix flowers in the same season...even then it is probably taboo in a strictly traditional sense.

Anyways, this isn't the place for traditional Japanese arguments. I really really like your arm...CONGRATS!

I love Seth, he rules so much.