LST Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

CultExciter

I'm always trying to keep my finger on the pulse of what is happening but I am either stuck in 1993-97 with what I listen to, or am late to the game. So, what are you listening to? What's keeping your head bobbing?

Currently:

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Big Boi - Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors

and two oldie but goodies:

Edan - Beauty and the Beat

Obie Trice - Cheers

Hey Cult!

I'm much like you, I'm stuck in the golden 90's era hip hop. If you like that sound I suggest checking out Organized Konfusion, Jeru the Damanga, Gang Starr, Pete Rock, Big Pun, Large Professor, Black Moon, Show & AG, Tribe Called Quest, Slum Village and Main Source. Those are all CLASSIC 90's hip hop, amazing stuff. Assuming you know the Wu-tang so I left out the Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx & Ghostface - Ironman as well as the 36 Chambers.

If you're looking for more modern hip hop, I would check out the likes of Action Bronson, Demigodz, Apathy, Celph Titled, Typical Cats, anything by J.Dilla, Styles of Beyond, Jedi Mind Tricks, Torae & The Doppelgangaz (which have a great 90's vibe to it) & check out Sean Price & Bootcamp Click as well as MF Doom, Dirty Dike's some good UK hip hop too.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, Black Moon will go down as one of my all time faves. What a classic record.

I'm pretty acquainted with more of the modern "backpacker" hip-hop (and I'm not using that term derogatorily. Big fan of Buckshot and Boot Camp. I'm trying to see what is going on more in modern/commercial hip-hop that doesn't suck. Which isn't a lot of it.

Well I did too, but I'm a diverse connoisseur of todays youth culture. Like tattoos, I'm trying not to show my age. I still don't understand Kesha, however.

if you wanted to not show your age, you could always mix that with your tats and get like... uhmm... i duno, say 15 miley cyrus tattoos LOL:D

I don't wanna show my age either.

Hey, I'm a native-Chicagoan, that means I'm musically conflicted. Right now, the last year or so, I've been mostly listening to blues, with a good slice of 50's/60's hillbilly thrown in. Sumpin about following up a Bobby Bland cut with a Ferlin Husky cut..

And that age thang?

First actual concert I went to see was Danny and the Juniors and the Monotones.

Saw Mitch Ryder and MC5 at a street-dance in the mid-sixties, after that it was on. Saw pretty much every rock act that was about anything, and a lot that weren't. Hung-out at Theresa's and a bunch of other blues clubs in the 70's, saw pretty much every name (and no-name) bluesman and woman on the scene.

Only regret I have is giving away two tickets to a Hendrix gig in el-Lay...told myself I could always hear him around town.

Ooops.

I LOVE M.I.A.

And - one of my favorite ways to torture my teenaged daughter used to be to sing along to songs that I "shouldn't" know in front of her friends. I was fairly current on all the new-ish hip-hop and rap as of 2 years ago. The vast majority of it I hated. There were a few bits and pieces that were alright though.

The '90s was the Golden Age of rap for sure. As far as newish hip-hop, I like Death Grips - The Money Store and P.O.S. – We Don't Even Live Here (though I like his previous one better) -- both of which are mixing in rock sounds but not in a Rage/Limp Bizkit/Korn way.

Tyler the Creator – Goblin from 2011 is one of the best hip-hop records I've heard in a long time, and the whole Odd Future clan is doing interesting stuff (including Frank Ocean, who doesn't really qualify as rap, but arguably made the best album of 2012.) Check this.

I also really dig Das Racist, but I like the two free mixtapes more than their "real" debut Relax, IMO. MUSIC – DAS RACIST If you like Fugazi and Wu Tang, this will blow your mind. WUGAZI: 13 CHAMBERS (FREE ALBUM DOWNLOAD) | Doomtree

I don't wanna show my age either.

Hey, I'm a native-Chicagoan, that means I'm musically conflicted. Right now, the last year or so, I've been mostly listening to blues, with a good slice of 50's/60's hillbilly thrown in. Sumpin about following up a Bobby Bland cut with a Ferlin Husky cut..

And that age thang?

First actual concert I went to see was Danny and the Juniors and the Monotones.

Saw Mitch Ryder and MC5 at a street-dance in the mid-sixties, after that it was on. Saw pretty much every rock act that was about anything, and a lot that weren't. Hung-out at Theresa's and a bunch of other blues clubs in the 70's, saw pretty much every name (and no-name) bluesman and woman on the scene.

Only regret I have is giving away two tickets to a Hendrix gig in el-Lay...told myself I could always hear him around town.

Ooops.

I bet that MC5/Detroit Wheels show was amazing.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/random-crap/1516-hip-hop-thread.html

I figured I would dig up this old thread. For the record I don't know what I said I was listening to, but it's probably the same stuff I am listening to today. We had a few of these threads if I remember correctly.

Thanks for digging that up. I searched "hip hop," "hip-hop," and "rap." But nothing came up. I thought I was charting new territory which it is obvious I am not.

@steve1461686340, am I doing something wrong with search parameters?

Currently:

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Big Boi - Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors

That Killer Mike is super solid. I got that new Big Boi for Christmas. I dig it too. Those Phantogram/Little Dragon guest spots are my personal favorites.

I'm super late on this, but I'm really digging Action Bronson. "Blue Chips" has been on constant loop for days.

And in other news, I need me a Wu-Tang tattoo ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm always looking for a tattooer into hip hop. When I was at Smith Street, they were playing Wu samples all day. Eli was the one who put me onto that Wugazi stuff.

One time at Temple, they were playing NWA when I walked in. When I left by the end of the day, they were playing GZA's Liquid Swords. I was so stoked.

I'm always looking for a tattooer into hip hop. When I was at Smith Street, they were playing Wu samples all day. Eli was the one who put me onto that Wugazi stuff.

One time at Temple, they were playing NWA when I walked in. When I left by the end of the day, they were playing GZA's Liquid Swords. I was so stoked.

@CABS Maxime Buchi is your guy he's really into hip-hop .

I happen to be a huge proponent of underground/non-mainstream rap...you could call some of it indie rap/hip-hop. Here is a list of what I am really loving right now. I highly encourage everyone to check these guys out. Most of them are self-made(they do all there own production, recording, distrobution). Besides the obvious names, you should check them all out.

In no particular order, although many of them are from the Midwest. The most underrated hip-hop region in the world.

Atmosphere

Brother Ali

Grieves

MF Doom

Felt

Dialated Peoples

Tech N9ne(I am a huge Tech fan, I have been for almost ten years)

Ces Cru

Rittz

!MAYDAY!(sometimes, not everything from them is good)

Irv Da Phenom

Mac Lethal(Another absolute favorite, this guy has a huge heart and has been doing his own FTW type thing for a decade. He gets no love and it sucks)

Krizz Kaliko(Another entry from Strange Music. I like some of his stuff, it isn't for everyone)

Eyedea(Dead now. Absolute legend in the Midwest)

Sage Francis

Spose

Illmaculate

Shwayze

HOPSIN(This guy makes great music. He started his own label and has turned down every opportunity to sell out so he can keep doing his thing. I highly recommend checking out everything he is on. He has a very true and honest position in his music and tends to speak about the problems this world has that other musicians stay away from.

Yelawolf(I included him because his sound is really the only mainstream stuff I like right now)

Big B(from Vegas, has some good tunes, not everything is very good)

Watsky(not really rap, more like spoken word poetry to a beat)

I know I am leaving some out of this list but oh well...

If you only check out a few...here are the ones you MUST hear. In order of my favorite:

Tech N9ne

Mac Lethal

Atmosphere

Hopsin

Ces Cru or Grieves(couldn't decide on the 5th spot)

If you listen to any of these guys...please let me know what you think and support the artist. If you like it, don't download it, BUY IT!

The record lables that my favorites are from are:

Rhymesayers

Strange Music

Slumerican

Funk Volume

Black Clover

@Brock Varty thanks dude! I'm acquainted with most of those artists but not all. Will check some more of them out. I am still really into that Non-Phixion album, not sure if you've listened to it.

@CABS The first 4 Wu-Tang solo albums. All day. Everyday. Have you checked out the Wu-Block record yet? It's Ghost and Sheek from The Lox.