LST Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

CultExciter

@Brock Varty thanks dude! I'm acquainted with most of those artists but not all. Will check some more of them out. I am still really into that Non-Phixion album, not sure if you've listened to it.

You might have to pick through the stuff from some of the people I mentioned. Not all of it is awesome but most of it is worth hearing. Just out of curiosity...what artist in my post had you not heard of? I might be able to direct you to their better stuff!

You might have to pick through the stuff from some of the people I mentioned. Not all of it is awesome but most of it is worth hearing. Just out of curiosity...what artist in my post had you not heard of? I might be able to direct you to their better stuff!

Grieves, that sounds interesting to me? And I've never heard of Irv Da Phenom or Cres Cru.

Grieves is a younger white guy signed to Rhymesayers. He has a really emotional style and his beats and sound is very mellow/emotional and then sometimes the complete opposite. He often works with a guy named Budo, who does most of his beats. Check out the Grieves album "Together/Apart". Especially the songs "On the Rocks, Lightspeed, Growing Pains". I would say the main thing about Grieves is that everything he does seems so full of passion and feeling that it hits you hard. It makes you emotional and it is amazing.

Irv Da Phenom is a dude from Kansas City that has done some guest spots with Tech N9ne and Mac Lethal. Check out his songs "Hate Your Family" and the really really good "Moment 4 Life" with Mac Lethal. I believe Irv has a nuw album called "Who the Fuck is Irv?"

Ces Cru is another group from Kansas City. They have been around for a long time but only recently have been noticed. They have a new EP that is out on Strange Music called "13". Check out the songs "Click Klack Bang" and "Colusseum"

I also forgot to include two other guys in my original post:

Dizzy Wright(dude really makes good, heartfelt, honest songs)

Jerron Benton

Thanks for digging that up. I searched "hip hop," "hip-hop," and "rap." But nothing came up. I thought I was charting new territory which it is obvious I am not.

@steve1461686340, am I doing something wrong with search parameters?

There is a 4 character min on search terms - you can get around it by using a wildcard character like this: *rap* - I added these terms to the ignore search length list: rap hip hop - so they should start showing up in searches in a bit.

I'll take another look at changing the character min to 3 as well.

Thanks for bringing this up - there are probably others who've had the same issue.

Cheers

p.s. Nice to see some good recommendations on the boards. I listen to everything from hardcore punk to rap and everything in between. depends on my mood.

Yeah, Black Moon will go down as one of my all time faves. What a classic record.

I'm pretty acquainted with more of the modern "backpacker" hip-hop (and I'm not using that term derogatorily. Big fan of Buckshot and Boot Camp. I'm trying to see what is going on more in modern/commercial hip-hop that doesn't suck. Which isn't a lot of it.

I wouldn't consider my aforementioned artist "backpack" by any means, more or less boom bap heavily influenced 90's hip hop. The people like Atmosphere, Grieves, & Cage I would consider more backpack stuff. Although Atmosphere's "Overcast" album was pretty solid, I find alot of his stuff to emotional or backpacky if you will. Don't know how to explain it other than kind of "mainstream underground" if that makes any sense.

As far as main stream hip hop that's worth a listen, I dunno, feel like the old "get off my lawn" guy when I use the cliche "hip hop isn't what it was when I was growing up" Which in part is true if you remember what got rotation on the radio back in the day like "Biggie, Luniz, Outkast, Fugeez, Jay-Z" It seemed like the basis of their music was deeply rooted in hip hop having samples, DJ's & a cadence that was true to what hip hop is. Now it seems all ass backwards & that's why real hip hop heads seek out that classic sound that can have a modern vibe to it, like the artists I mentioned & some other's ive seen posted.

@CABS Maxime Buchi is your guy he's really into hip-hop .

Good looking out. I'm gonna check out his work.

- - - Updated - - -

@Brock Varty thanks dude! I'm acquainted with most of those artists but not all. Will check some more of them out. I am still really into that Non-Phixion album, not sure if you've listened to it.

@CABS The first 4 Wu-Tang solo albums. All day. Everyday. Have you checked out the Wu-Block record yet? It's Ghost and Sheek from The Lox.

First four or first five? I honestly didn't like ODB's first solo. I mean, Shimmy Shimmy Ya and Brooklyn Zoo are absolute classics, but two songs don't make an album.

But if you're talking about Meth, Rae, GZA, and Ghost's first solo efforts, then I'm on board. I can listen to 36 Chambers all day every day. I low key want Henry Lewis to make a Wu tattoo on me, but I know one shot logos aren't really his thing. But he is a die hard Wu guy.

Not into too much new Wu, so no go on the Wu Block. I was never really a Lox fan. But if you say it's good I'll check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't consider my aforementioned artist "backpack" by any means, more or less boom bap heavily influenced 90's hip hop. The people like Atmosphere, Grieves, & Cage I would consider more backpack stuff. Although Atmosphere's "Overcast" album was pretty solid, I find alot of his stuff to emotional or backpacky if you will. Don't know how to explain it other than kind of "mainstream underground" if that makes any sense.

As far as main stream hip hop that's worth a listen, I dunno, feel like the old "get off my lawn" guy when I use the cliche "hip hop isn't what it was when I was growing up" Which in part is true if you remember what got rotation on the radio back in the day like "Biggie, Luniz, Outkast, Fugeez, Jay-Z" It seemed like the basis of their music was deeply rooted in hip hop having samples, DJ's & a cadence that was true to what hip hop is. Now it seems all ass backwards & that's why real hip hop heads seek out that classic sound that can have a modern vibe to it, like the artists I mentioned & some other's ive seen posted.

Overcast, Lucy Ford, Sevens Travels, Felt 2, You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having (I think that's what it's called) are all solid albums from Slug. Other than that, haven't heard anything new from him. I used to be really into that first Brother Ali album a long time ago.

And you hit the nail on the head with main stream hip hop. Late 90's was gold on the radio. Everything was good. You definitely can't say that nowadays about the radio.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Black Moon will go down as one of my all time faves. What a classic record.

I'm pretty acquainted with more of the modern "backpacker" hip-hop (and I'm not using that term derogatorily. Big fan of Buckshot and Boot Camp. I'm trying to see what is going on more in modern/commercial hip-hop that doesn't suck. Which isn't a lot of it.

Black Moon radio on Pandora is amazing.

black moon were the original backpackers, before that term took on something more offensive..

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4xYGFc9Yw4

- - - Updated - - -

@<a href="http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/member.php?u=3422" target="_blank">CABS</a> The first 4 Wu-Tang solo albums. All day. Everyday. Have you checked out the Wu-Block record yet? It's Ghost and Sheek from The Lox.

word @ that wu-block, man. ive been bad about staying up on rap records for awhile. but i love this, classic wu sound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyk7PRYXfXE

I was a teenager when I heard " Nation of Millions " drop for the first time , I thought the World was ending , there was sirens , news -flashes , a DJ named Terminator X , a private army called S.1.W' s and a crazy eclectic layered sound that even made politics sound cool . It was so revolutionary and dangerous I don't think anybody had ever heard anything like it . This , "Straight Outta Compton" and The Geto Boys "Grip it! On that other Level " was my Punk-Rock , it was for a white kid growing up in New Zealand , rebel music .

At the time this stuff was very rare and quite expensive as it was only available on vinyl or tape as a U.S. import , shit I even managed a prized OG Sports Specialities Kings cap like Eazy wore , no big deal you say but this stuff was rarer than Hens teeth , wearing one made you prime candidate to collect a slap and or be robbed, people were losing their Jordan's as quick as they could buy em .

I still think the albums above are the best Rap albums produced , they affected me so much ,I couldn't really totally dig Biggie or Tupac. I don't know anything else just didn't have the rawness and seemed to me posturing and self-indulgent

So hard did I rinse these three albums that to this day I can still recite every lyric word for word .

Joey Bada$$ is dope as well as the whole Pro Era Team. The Doppelgangaz as well, great 90's throwback duo (mentioned them in my 1st post). There are a few up & coming artists that are MAD young that are giving me good hope, unfortunately Capital Steeze left us too early, lots of promise.

My alltime favorite record dead or alive is still Organized Konfusion - Stress. There's a new Demigodz album coming out in March too to anyone who listens to them. Celph Titled the ammunition magician

And I'll say it now, and again, and again. UGK for life.

well, if that isnt the truth..

- - - Updated - - -

And I'll say it now, and again, and again. UGK for life.

well, if that isnt the truth..

- - - Updated - - -

Joey Bada$$ is dope as well as the whole Pro Era Team. The Doppelgangaz as well, great 90's throwback duo (mentioned them in my 1st post). There are a few up & coming artists that are MAD young that are giving me good hope, unfortunately Capital Steeze left us too early, lots of promise.

My alltime favorite record dead or alive is still Organized Konfusion - Stress. There's a new Demigodz album coming out in March too to anyone who listens to them. Celph Titled the ammunition magician

damn, i didnt hear about capital steez. yeah, that dude was sick..

i love the "90s throwback" stuff. not the "lets bring it back, yall" ugly duckling-j5 type stuff, but like the stuff we were mentioning. i came up with hiphop in the 90s and activley participated (djing, college radio, etc), but just stopped paying attention to it in the last decade. so to check in and see little dudes like bada$$ doing what he does, really kind of makes me happy..

also, word to "stress". i dont know if i could pick an all time favorite. i might go the cliche route and have to say "illmatic". just because all of these years later, it never gets old, and i can really appreciate now how that was the perfect hiphop album. like, stars were alligned for all of that to go down the way that it did.

Overcasst, Lucy Ford, Sevens Travels, Felt 2, You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having (I think that's what it's called) are all solid albums from Slug. Other than that, haven't heard anything new from him. I used to be really into that first Brother Ali album a long time ago.

Anything from Slug is god but I like "When Life Give You Lemons..., To All My Friends, Blood Makes the Blade Holy, The Family Sign" just as much as the ones you mentioned.

And Slug and Murs on the same tracks....fucking mind explosion.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsZnE2uk05Y

Go to about 9:00 in the video if you want to get to the best part.

"Straight Outta Compton"

Absolute classic.

- - - Updated - - -

i might go the cliche route and have to say "illmatic". just because all of these years later, it never gets old, and i can really appreciate now how that was the perfect hiphop album. like, stars were alligned for all of that to go down the way that it did.

Agreed. Nas went out and got all the best producers to work on his album. At the time, that was unheard of. MC's only had one producer produce every song. Game changing stuff.

I follow the battle circuit pretty closely (not as much as I used to), the whole KOTD, Dont Flop, Grindtime, etc, etc. I can sit & watch those for literally hours & zone out. My favorite is probably Madness from the group "Critical Madness" (which I forgot to mention as one of the current hip hop artists getting rotation). As far as funny shit, he's probably the king. Not the 'best' persay, but his movie references are top notch.

Nothing as sad as that Dizaster vs. Cannibus match tho for real...shit was depressing.

& YOMONEY I'd agree, Illmatic has such good replay value, I think partially due to Nas' cadence in combination w/Premier's production. Can't go wrong w/that on any level. Unfortunately I don't 100% feel for ANY other of his albums the way I do for that one. Same could be said for the production of 36 Chambers & it's replay value. Same w/Biggie, although the replay value lies w/in his voice & articulant rhyme patterns & multiples. God if only he was produced by Premier or Pete Rock or someone like that.

Another 90's classic I forgot to mention was Blahzay Blahzay - "Danger"...that shit gets stuck in my head all day. "When the east is in the house - oh my god - Danger"

I follow the battle circuit pretty closely (not as much as I used to), the whole KOTD, Dont Flop, Grindtime, etc, etc. I can sit & watch those for literally hours & zone out. My favorite is probably Madness from the group "Critical Madness" (which I forgot to mention as one of the current hip hop artists getting rotation). As far as funny shit, he's probably the king. Not the 'best' persay, but his movie references are top notch.

Nothing as sad as that Dizaster vs. Cannibus match tho for real...shit was depressing.

& YOMONEY I'd agree, Illmatic has such good replay value, I think partially due to Nas' cadence in combination w/Premier's production. Can't go wrong w/that on any level. Unfortunately I don't 100% feel for ANY other of his albums the way I do for that one. Same could be said for the production of 36 Chambers & it's replay value. Same w/Biggie, although the replay value lies w/in his voice & articulant rhyme patterns & multiples. God if only he was produced by Premier or Pete Rock or someone like that.

Another 90's classic I forgot to mention was Blahzay Blahzay - "Danger"...that shit gets stuck in my head all day. "When the east is in the house - oh my god - Danger"

Any of the GrindTime stuff with Illmaculate and Thesaurus are great. The Mac Lethal vs. Dirtbag Dan vid I posted is hilarious.