Is this an infection? (6 day old tattoo - picture)

metalmancpa

Hard to tell, but too much juice on it for sure. Try letting it dry out completely, see how it looks in a day or so. One thing, some of my work didn't like Bacitracyn AT ALL. Looked a lot like that..I think maybe sometimes Baci treats ink like an infection and tries to get rid of it. If you do use something on it, I'd stick to Aquaphor or something like that as opposed to an anti-bacterial.

Washed twice a day with Ivory (not an anti bacterial soap), patted dry, and as previously stated not much else. Was kept uncovered for the most part for the 1st 3 days, then for work white cotton underwear, so where it's an active spot right below the beltline (skin constantly moving with leg movement), then rubbing could be an irritant.

My shop gives me those packets of ant-bacteria spooge which I use for 3 days. Once it starts to peel, I go with non-scented lotions.

You may having a reaction with the ink in the ribbon.. but it can be badly irritated like you say. I did have one tattoo on my foot become infected. It oozed pus and a big chunk of the color came up with the scab. I had it touched up once it healed.

I would wash everything off it and rub it with an ice cube, over clear wrap if you want, just to get the irritation under control and cool it down. Let it dry over night and see how it looks in the morning, try some aquaphor on it or another hypo-genic lotion.

Rob

i never use anything not anti-bacterial or anti-septic for tattoos...if i use anything at all. let the tattoo breathe out and dry over night to see how's it doing. clothes rubbing against a new tattoo is like, not good, since cotton and other organic fabrics release particles all the time...

I know this is a stupid question, but how do tattoos get infected? I understand that they are open wounds, but for most people I know, just washing it, washing your hands before you touch it, and keeping it from drying out have healed their tattoos no problem. All of mine healed without infection...

Is it the shop that gives the infection? Or the person wearing the tattoo... But if you just dont fuck with it, and dont touch it with dirty hands, you should be all good. cover it when it comes to dirty places... I just never understood how you can get an infection in a tattoo

@metalmancpa is this on you? Listen to @dcostello -- and more importantly, stop using the passive voice. (The copywriter comes out at 6AM, maybe @hogg can understand..)

Sorry - it's on my wife. And nothing was ever slathered on this. Actually nothing was put on it for the 1st 3 days, and then only Lubriderm maybe once a day. The picture I took was just after putting bacitracin on it for the first time because it had become very red and sore (without over caring for it). It's dried out now, and waiting until tonight to see it's progress.