Another scratcher in the news...

PhilB

Teenager left with Marilyn Monroe design 'like a blow up sex doll' after £50 session | Mail Online

Reader's Digest version: Dumb teen goes to guy for cheap tattoo. Surprisingly, guy who agrees to tattoo teenager for cheap sucks. Teen and her mom decide to expose guy after he reneged on refunding her money for monstrosity he created.

Is this kind of publicity good or bad? I'm torn. On the one hand, it helps to educate people about scratchers. On the other hand, many people will assume that all tattoo artists are like this douchebag.

I'd love to be the kind of person who tells you to stop linking stories like this because you're just legitimizing bad tattooing and lending some sort of weird credence to Kitchen Wizards -- but I'm not and I laughed and it's still funny -- especially the tattoos towards the bottom. We all can't be Frenchies named Fuzi........

Wait... (And yell at me mods if I'm getting too into prices) ... She estimates it will cost her $300 to get it covered? Is she going to a more pricier scratcher? She probably won't even be able to get the tattoo she originally wanted, but a larger one to cover it.

Also she's sixteen and a working hairdresser?! This whole thing makes me think its fake to make a "good" story...

Think I'll pick up one a these bad boys for $35. Deal of the Day | A Sale a Day | Daily Deals at MidnightBox.com I've never tattooed before but how hard could it be? I'm pretty good at Draw Something. Anyone wanna come over? I'll do a kickass panther on ya for a six pack. Even wipe down the kitchen table for ya with some Windex.

Probably the worst part of that whole article is the subtitle of the one pic which reads, "The estimated cost of a cover up will be 300 GBP." Which means she is probably going to go to another unskilled artist for a cover up with not enough skill to really do a cover up. Maybe I'm doing the wrong currency exchange in my head, but I would think a truly nice pinup of Monroe would cost more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah it's abysmal but at least there isn't a great deal to cover. I do find it odd that they talk about £300 as if it is a staggering amount of money for a tattoo. As we all know, it is small change when it comes to getting good work.

In fairness to her she is only 16. I got my first when I was 18 and whilst its much better than hers it is still pretty awful. My cover up will cost much more than £300 though!

I just wish I hadn't read the comments... the "all tattoos are hideous" brigade make me so mad!

• 10 months later...

Maybe I'm cynical or an asshole or whatever, but not a single piece of me feels bad for people who go to scratchers and then complain about why they got a turd on them forever. Serves them right and they should live with their own mistakes and own up to that instead of trying to always find and place the blame somewhere else.

That being said, however, I'm not at all going to promote a scratcher or kitchen wizard at all. There's no place in the world for any of that and I think it's good to get that guys name out there in the article so people will know who he is and to stay away from that. I can understand that a lot of tattooers (and good tattooers at that) started out tattooing their friends/neighbors/enemies/anybody the same way, but they've actually taken the time to get to know the industry and get into shops and LEARN.

she does'nt look 16 IMO,

and that tattoo is so bad,it does'nt seem real.

was it done freehand or was it stenciled on and she approved it ? LOL

(these are just my random thoughts)

Some people are not hip to tattoo protocol, the process, what to expect, how to check out a shop, etc. Some lessons in life just cost more than others. Fortunately for shit work, they are easier to cover up.

Rob

she does'nt look 16 IMO,

and that tattoo is so bad,it does'nt seem real.

was it done freehand or was it stenciled on and she approved it ? LOL

(these are just my random thoughts)

I've been talking about this a lot recently. How are SO many people who clearly have NO concept of the mechanics of drawing, composition, or even basic familiarity with art in general picking up "tat guns" and thinking "Yeah, I should give this a shot"??

• 4 months later...