Long Time Tattoo Fan, First Time Apprentice

TerraVictusZach

Hey all, my name is Zach, i'm from Ohio. 23 years young TODAY actually.

I just got hired on as an apprentice, and i'm new to this forum. I'm not sure what i'm looking to gain on here other than to network with tattoo artists and possibly apprentices like me, but it may be a good source of advice when i do start tattooing....

some things i'm into are Volkswagens (all generations), and any old cars especially Fords, Hunting, anything outdoorsy like that, drawing, (i'd like to get into painting), playing music (mostly rock, metal, and blues), and definitely tattoos!

i'll check that out! and that's fine, i understand that it's not really a good idea to post things like how to tattoo or anything, it's just a big no no for many reasons.... so i'm not really looking for that haha.

but i enjoy talking about tattoos and seeing them so that sounds good too! haha.

I'm from a small town called Greenville. The tattoo shop is in Eaton.

thanks a bunch! yeah this has been a crazy awesome birthday because of that apprenticeship for sure! i got hired on (kind of under a trial period for now til they offer me a contract) Saturday and just told them "i'll be back in here tomorrow" so i showed up the next day haha.

they don't open on Mondays and Tuesdays so hopefully i can make it in the rest of the week

well, it's been my first whole work week of apprenticeship and it's going well i'd say!

i've learned a lot, and even though i'm left handed, i got to do a little bit of lining (i assume it was just to see what i could do off the bat) and i did pretty good from what the boss said. seemed to be impressed somewhat! so far i love this, and i can't wait to get my certifications that i need, and practice some more. He had me practice on some fruit on Sunday. it was a challenge holding the fruit and tattooing it. i'm so used to like, drawing where you can just put your drawing pad on the table and draw. haha. i found myself putting the fruit down to tattoo on, that helped sometimes.

just kinda getting a feel for what's comfortable for me, and how to get some good line work.

PS--- i've seen somewhere, someone on youtube one time had some harder rubber or maybe like a plastic type grommet for the needle? they were saying it makes the needle have less play and it kinda helps with getting more solid, clean lines....anyone have anything on this? message me if i'm wrong or if you know where i can find these grommets.

welcome, happy belated bday, and good shit on getting an apprenticeship!

i think this sort of thing might be what hogg was getting at in his first reply. it might not be super technical, but some folks might take it as being close to a "how to tattoo" question.

PS--- i've seen somewhere, someone on youtube one time had some harder rubber or maybe like a plastic type grommet for the needle? they were saying it makes the needle have less play and it kinda helps with getting more solid, clean lines....anyone have anything on this? message me if i'm wrong or if you know where i can find these grommets.

sounds like something your teacher would be able to answer.

welcome, happy belated bday, and good shit on getting an apprenticeship!

i think this sort of thing might be what hogg was getting at in his first reply. it might not be super technical, but some folks might take it as being close to a "how to tattoo" question.

sounds like something your teacher would be able to answer.

thanks and thanks! i get to go back tomorrow! can't freaking wait!

and okay, i understand. yeah i'll have to ask him if he knows. i think he just uses the regular rubber ones anywho.

so what does everyone do for fun?

some things i like are music, art of course, i do some hunting every now and again.... and drag racing. i love drag racing. haha.

Just so you are aware @TerraVictusZach... we are super stoked to have you as part of this community, but, this is NOT the place to ask for any specific tattooing related technical questions. Any question regarding "how" or "why" or "what" should be directed to your mentor.

Again, welcome! I hope your apprenticeship goes well. Stay positive and work hard!!