Hello!

Kurse

Thanks for the welcome!

I've seen some really great stuff online from artists in Houston but nothing quite in the style I like.

I'd like to find an artist who does watercolor inspired stuff, or more abstract type of designs. Some of my favorite artists right now are Peter Aurisch, Gene Coffey, David Hale, Xoil etc. I know that style isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like it. Can't seem to find anyone in Houston really doing anything like that stuff.

Since that isn't looking too hopeful I am also looking for someone in Houston who enjoys doing large floral pieces. I came across this beautiful sleeve on pinterest and fell in love. Would love something in the same style.

Thanks for the welcome!

I've seen some really great stuff online from artists in Houston but nothing quite in the style I like.

I'd like to find an artist who does watercolor inspired stuff, or more abstract type of designs. Some of my favorite artists right now are Peter Aurisch, Gene Coffey, David Hale, Xoil etc. I know that style isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like it. Can't seem to find anyone in Houston really doing anything like that stuff.

Since that isn't looking too hopeful I am also looking for someone in Houston who enjoys doing large floral pieces. I came across this beautiful sleeve on pinterest and fell in love. Would love something in the same style.

My opinion on that kind of tattooing, or really any kind of tattooing that is more associated with a handful of individuals rather than a certain style, is that if you want it, you should really be travelling to get tattooed by the masters of the style. You're going to get a better tattoo from it, and I think that you'd be way more stoked by a tattoo done by the artists you admire than by competent imitations.

My opinion on that kind of tattooing, or really any kind of tattooing that is more associated with a handful of individuals rather than a certain style, is that if you want it, you should really be travelling to get tattooed by the masters of the style. You're going to get a better tattoo from it, and I think that you'd be way more stoked by a tattoo done by the artists you admire than by competent imitations.

Without a doubt - you're right. I am considering traveling but I thought I'd see what I can find locally before I splurge on an airline ticket.

I have lots of ideas though, some in the more common styles, so I'd still love to hear of some favorite Houston area artists.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/3281-hello-texas-can-i-get-covered-page2.html

We had a similar thread asking about Houston tattooers, but it ended up just talking about people in Austin..

Two people I know are Lana Gooding and Corey Rodgers. Too lazy to post links but I think corey is at 713 and not sure what shop Lana is at, think she is moving shops right now.

Had to look up the people you mentioned as your favorites, and yeah you are right not my cup of tea, but I like the Gene Coffey has chose to get a japanese sleeve on himself. Not busting balls think it's funny when guys who do funky style want to have more traditional styles tattooed on them.

I saw an amazing tattoo on a girls foot last week.. done by Corey at 713. His stuff is awesome. If I choose to go the traditional route, I'll be seeing him.

I will likely stick with the the floral tattoo idea. I know it's something I will always like as it's been on my wish list for 10 years already. Now it's just a matter of finding someone in the area who likes doing floral stuff.

Thanks for suggesting Lana Gooding. Hadn't come across her stuff in my search.

I saw an amazing tattoo on a girls foot last week.. done by Corey at 713. His stuff is awesome. If I choose to go the traditional route, I'll be seeing him.

I will likely stick with the the floral tattoo idea. I know it's something I will always like as it's been on my wish list for 10 years already. Now it's just a matter of finding someone in the area who likes doing floral stuff.

Thanks for suggesting Lana Gooding. Hadn't come across her stuff in my search.

She is at a place called Sacred Heart Studio, but is moving to Old Crow Parlor at beginning of February. She did the monkey I use as my Avatar. She is a good tattooer, she can make things look real soft when needed, but other times does tattoos that look tough as shit. I haven't been to Texas, but I was bummed when she moved from Chicago.

Thanks for the suggestions! My husband got a really nice chest piece done at Scorpions since we've moved here.

I saw Christina's stuff on the Gaslight website and really liked it. She's one of the artists I am thinking of seeing.

Also thinking of using Nate Beavers or Sam Hudson.