opinion on this artist?

spyro

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.131043527035963.23978.100003909494261&type=3

li friend goes to this guy ^ and recommends him, but i'm not sure..

I was also thinking about going to a guy named eugene (Tattoos – Rice Eyes) but, he said he's booking consults this month then never responded..

I just don't know how to identify a great artist, and for a detailed animal tattoo like mine, it'll be uncoverable, and it's permanent, so I want to make sure I have a good artist

The first guy runs out of his home, I believe, so can raise a flag. But it does look decent; the rose for example.

I've also had this shop recommended: http://www.deluxetattoo.ca/tattoos/

Dont get tattooed from the guy working out of his house.

Where do you live? I am sure someone on this site will point you in a better direction.

Dont rush in and you will get what you want.

yeah i was leaning towards rice eyes. I'm in the Greater toronto area

Check out The Pearl Harbor Gift Shop in Toronto. I'm sure one of the artists there will be able to do what you want. A friend of mine has a big cat sleeve by India Amara. I'd like to get something by Tim Pausinger at some point.

A lot of really nice tattoos come from that shop and they also have really great guests (Nick Colella is either there now or just finished a guest spot, Mario Desa guests there when he's in Toronto, Greg Christian was there at least twice last year) so yeah, I will totally second this recommendation.

I was also thinking about going to a guy named eugene (Tattoos – Rice Eyes) but, he said he's booking consults this month then never responded..

I just don't know how to identify a great artist, and for a detailed animal tattoo like mine, it'll be uncoverable, and it's permanent, so I want to make sure I have a good artist

The first guy runs out of his home, I believe, so can raise a flag. But it does look decent; the rose for example.

Rice eyes is a MUCH better artist...difference is like night and day...worth seeking out even if you gotta wait for a while.

I got a response from PHGS, saying tim is booking into feburary. I am not sure though; tim seems really japanese-style from his portfolio, I'm looking for more of a realistic-style tattoo.

I want a fantasy dragon, and a realistic wolf, not a japanese-style dragon, etc.

the email also said I'd need to bring a reference for the style of dragon and wolf I like.. I can explain it, but I have a hard time "finding" a reference.

You've had quite a lot of help from the responses so far -- now it's on you to head over to the shops in person. Think you've reached about the amount of information you're going to gather sitting in front of a computer. And also make sure you can explain how a fantasy dragon in different from a Japanese dragon. Which are real.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

You've had quite a lot of help from the responses so far -- now it's on you to head over to the shops in person. Think you've reached about the amount of information you're going to gather sitting in front of a computer. And also make sure you can explain how a fantasy dragon in different from a Japanese dragon. Which are real.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Point taken, but I can't draw a stick figure; my artistic judgement is abysmal. So, going to the shops, I'd still have trouble deciding who would be a better choice for my style. I don't know how to judge; i thought the first link was pretty good; clearly the united opinion is that he is terrible.

I just don't want a shitty tattoo.

A japanese dragon that comes to my mind is basically one you see at a chinese fair, with the long tubular body and the japanese-dragon face.

the dragon I'd want is a 4 legged winged, teethed, dragon that you'd see in video games, eragon, how to train your dragon i guess, etc. (like, fantasy)

Something like this? We have a few sheets of this kind of stuff up on the wall at the shop. @spyro

something like that yeah. if you googled "midevil dragons" images, you'd see kind of the style i'm looking for for the dragon. Thanks. I never thought of googling midevil stuff until i saw your post

something like that yeah. if you googled "midevil dragons" images, you'd see kind of the style i'm looking for for the dragon. Thanks. I never thought of googling midevil stuff until i saw your post

I didn't have to google it, it was on my camera still. But yeah that kind of stuff can make a good tattoo for sure. Good Luck.

Point taken, but I can't draw a stick figure; my artistic judgement is abysmal. So, going to the shops, I'd still have trouble deciding who would be a better choice for my style.

You could start by reading the thread entitled what makes a good tattoo. If you can't tell a shit tattoo from a decent tattoo then you probably haven't looked at enough tattoos. It takes time and effort. Download tattoos by tattooers respected on this forum and compare them to the tattoos in the crappy tattoo threads. Go on YouTube and look at episodes of tattoo wars. Listen to the advice from people on here, most of who know a lot more than me. You'll likely get a tattoo commiserate with the effort you put into finding a good tattoo artist.

Point taken, but I can't draw a stick figure; my artistic judgement is abysmal. So, going to the shops, I'd still have trouble deciding who would be a better choice for my style. I don't know how to judge; i thought the first link was pretty good; clearly the united opinion is that he is terrible.

I just don't want a shitty tattoo.

A japanese dragon that comes to my mind is basically one you see at a chinese fair, with the long tubular body and the japanese-dragon face.

the dragon I'd want is a 4 legged winged, teethed, dragon that you'd see in video games, eragon, how to train your dragon i guess, etc. (like, fantasy)

Shitty tattoos sometimes happen. It's a part of life and getting tattooed. We are humans; we make mistakes.

It sounds like you need to do more research as to the type of dragon that you want, as a Japanese dragon would not be seen at a "chinese fair" (though they appear similar in shape, Japanese and Chinese dragons are not the same ). It also sounds like what you are interested in is a gothic era European influenced dragon design.

Really, it seems like you might be rushing into this. While my initial reaction to this thread was a snarky "google is your friend" type of response, in reality, it might be best for you to do some serious research offline, at the library, looking through some books. Once you find a good reference image (or multiple) PLUS a really good quality tattoo artist, then you'll have the beginning of an awesome tattoo. However, if you want something specific but can't provide a visual example of what you're looking for, then it feels like that's just a recipe to not meet expectations and for you to leave the experience feeling let down.

http://www.tattooset.com/images/tattoo/2012/09/10/9443-gothic-concept-of-a-dragon-grabbing-the-skull-with-its-deadly-claws_thumb.jpg

that could be related to the tattoo i want, kind of. But I'd want the dragon going around a wolf, in a majestic design, and I don't really like the face of the dragon in that tattoo.

maybe you're right; maybe I am rushing.

That said though, maybe i'm expecting too much too. I'm a scrawny guy; trying to get that design on my arm might be unrealistic

http://www.tattooset.com/images/tattoo/2012/09/10/9443-gothic-concept-of-a-dragon-grabbing-the-skull-with-its-deadly-claws_thumb.jpg

that could be related to the tattoo i want, kind of. But I'd want the dragon going around a wolf, in a majestic design, and I don't really like the face of the dragon in that tattoo.

maybe you're right; maybe I am rushing.

That said though, maybe i'm expecting too much too. I'm a scrawny guy; trying to get that design on my arm might be unrealistic

That tattoo is not very well done, It's kind of splitting hairs to criticize the anatomy of something that doesn't exist, but it's just not right, and the shading in the skull is not very smooth. It's looks like two different designs shoved together instead of a solid cohesive tattoo design.

I would shy away from using other tattoos as refernce to be honest, especially if you don't have a keen eye for detail yet, also most tattoo photos are taken from weird angles and if someone tried to trace it, your tattoo would be out of proportion. Not to mention there are way more bad tattoos than good out there. Find some illustrations of the dragons you want, hit the bookstore and or library, a nice clean illustration will be something your tattooer will appreciate.