Newbie from LA

Lin Yan

Hello, my name's Lin. I'm currently 17 and I'm from California. I've been interested in getting a tattoo for years and going to get one in approximately 5 months when I turn 18. I happened to stumble upon this forum while looking for tattoo designs. My thoughts are strong towards getting a koi fish tattoo on my left shoulder to mid-tris or on my side and possibly an elephant. I lurked around the forums a little and it seems like a good community with a lot of knowledge on tattoos so decided hey, can't hurt to join. I currently have a friend's brother who's apprenticing at a tattoo artist shop who offered to do mine for free, at home if I wanted it asap and at his shop if I wait until I'm 18. I'm pretty iffy about it but might go with something simple like text for my first tat. I've been looking at pictures of what I'd like my tattoo to be but I'm not sure whether if it's fine or shunned upon to take a picture of someone's tattoo online and take it to your tattoo artist to get it done if you really like it or am I just over-thinking it? Just wanted to be safe but looking forward to learning more and meeting you guys!

Edit- sorry if I seem ignorant, I'm just starting out to learn about how everything works around here. I looked into more and tattoos are indeed copyrighted, so is it alright if I took an inspired piece and have someone edit the design for me and tweak it around? I've thought of designing my own but it's something not in my field of expertise since I'm completely shit at drawing.

Hey Lin!

First off, welcome!

Secondly, In my opinion, you should steer well clear of getting tattooed in your friends kitchen, or anywhere that is willing to tattoo you under the age of 18.

Best way to approach a tattoo idea, is to gather a few reference pictures that give the tattooer enough of what you're after and let them run with it. Keeping in mind they do this everyday, you'll get a much nicer tattoo this way.

Other than that.. you seem eager, which is great, but please take the time to think your idea through! Nothing worse than a tattoo you regret.

Welcome again, and enjoy your time here!

-Tim.

Welcome! Nice intro. Sounds like you're smart enough to stay outta the kitchen. Pretty much what these other guys said, you can reference other tattoos with what you like about certain designs if you feel there is something really specific, otherwise find a tattooer whose work you like and let 'em have at it.

I remember when I was just starting to get tattoos and I found a photo that I really liked -- so I thought, I WANT THAT, so I brought it to the shop and said, I WANT THAT and the tattooer (now a buddy) just sort of sighed and very nicely told me he'd give me something with those elements that he'd draw up himself. (He's got a good bedside manner.) And what was this super unique design that I thought I had to copy on myself? ...a skull with a hat. It's all been done before so just find a good shop and a great artist and it should work out!

Appreciate all the advice! I'm putting a lot of thought into this as this us going to be my first tattoo. I'm deciding between a half chest piece on the left, if that's what its called, on my side or my left thigh. Personally, where would you recommend of those areas for my first ink? Basically with what you guys have said, I can just bring a piece I really like and they'd work around it right? possibly something better