so many questions, so little space

Janerae

I am loving this site so far, I've found answers to many questions as well as have a few more form...hoping this doesn't come out to be too long.

I guess to start with, I might be missing it, but is there a place to ask about a particular artist and/or shop?

So now to my tattoo questions. I have a few ideas I have loved and wanted for about 15 years now. The basic ideas I have are 2 cover ups--a large back piece with a tree and black birds, rose and vine wrist/arm cover up, anchor, butterfly, and a Celtic motherhood knot.

I'm looking at getting my wrist tattoo covered with roses and vines--maybe having the vines work into a Celtic motherhood knot. I am not interested in having a full body work or sleeves done--I'm hoping to have this done in a way that looks gorgeous and not out of place...or stupid a la those warp tour tattoos I have just come aware from this site.

The tree (a linden for our German heritage) and blackbirds represent my family--still needing to find out if i need to get my fairy lasered or if the type of tree I want will cover it.

The butterfly for the baby I lost--I always felt little "butterflies" in my tummy for the few short weeks I carried him or her....thinking on my ankle---not sure where else would make a good placement.

My big question is the anchor tattoo--my favorite bible passages in short involve faith, hope, and love...hope is the anchor to our soul. I've wanted an anchor with the word faith either below or above it. I know anchors are commonly associated with the Navy--is it insulting to have a non-sailor to be tattooed with an anchor? My hubby is career Army, so I know some of these things hold deep meaning to service men.

So Anchor--insulting or not...if not any suggestions as to possible placements to work around the other pieces I want to get done.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

photos of current tattoos and story behind the fairy.

- - - Updated - - -

this is pics of of current tattoos that I want covered up...and the story behind the fairy.

At 18 years, my 3 best friends (Jennie, Anne, Betsy) and I decided to get friendship tattoos--Jennie drew a fairy design for us. Each of our birthdays fall in a different season, so each were going to have the fairy tweaked to show that season. It had a full dress on, kneeling down looking like she would take off flying at any moment, with a look of reckless youth on her face...representing our passage into adulthood and leaving our childhood behind. Mine was Winter, so reds, gray, black with a punky pixie hair cut.

I was the first to turn...and the only one to get the tattoo after my horrible experience. He initially tried to talk me into sexing my fairy up, claiming I'll want a sexy fairy when I start going to bars and into college--I maintained no, my design was what I knew I wanted, so he just cleaned up the design to work as a tattoo and the stencil was EXACTLY what I wanted, though I did give in when he said the placement I wanted would be wrong for my tattoo--I wanted it on my shoulder, he said center lower back would be a better placement.

I started getting iffy after he finished the outline and it didn't look anything like what was discussed--he reassured me that it only looks wrong because of just being a partial outline and I was looking at in a mirror, once he finished, added the shading, and colors it would be exactly what was drawn up on paper. To make the story shorter--I ended up in tears with a free tattoo and the owner fired him on the spot....small town--he currently works at McDonald's and tattooing from his mom's basement.

I'll only speak for the Anchor tattoo, being the proud wearer of one (my first tattoo). I don't believe it is insulting to have one if you're not Navy. The anchor has been a christian symbol for far longer than there has been a U.S. Navy (though not any navy I suppose?). The anchor is just a classic symbol and even though it was obviously popular among naval servicemen it certainly can be enjoyed by all.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'll also add, about asking about a shop and/or tattooer:

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking about a particular shop or artist. No one here wants you to get a bad tattoo, so if your option isn't up to the job we'll tell you. Especially since none of your proposed designs includes a realistic dragon.

However, I think (and I've only been here a short time myself, so take this with a grain of salt) what's better is that you take your time and look at a lot of good tattoos. I mean a lot. Watch the tattooer interviews on this site. Watch Tattoo Age and Gypsy Gentleman. Read the blogs of the good tattooers you learn about. Start to educate yourself as to what makes a good tattoo, and soon you'll be able to judge for yourself if a tattooer is good or not. Then you can get a whole bunch of good tattoos and teach others to do so too!

Awesome, Thank you. I am leaning to the anchor if I can figure where where I want it.

I'm leaning to Tim Beck from Freedom Tattoos in Peoria, IL. He seems to stand out and isn't too far for me to travel with young children. I'll see what i can find from him in some of those places.

Awesome, Thank you. I am leaning to the anchor if I can figure where where I want it.

I'm leaning to Tim Beck from Freedom Tattoos in Peoria, IL. He seems to stand out and isn't too far for me to travel with young children. I'll see what i can find from him in some of those places.

This guy will give you a good tattoo. Based on his portfolio on the site he appears to do quality tattoos, especially if you go traditional.