Do you go for lots of work by the same artist, or one piece per artist?

metalmancpa

So far with my meeger two tattoos, they have both been done by the same artist.

Even though I'll never get another tattoo ;) , I started wondering IF I do, what would my approach be? Would I continue to be the canvas for the same artist, or branch out?

There are many factors here. I realize this would depend on my next idea (even though I don't currently have one). Knowing that the best approach is to fit an artist to a concept, would I keep my ideas within the realm of my current artist, or just go with whatever comes to mind and search out the best artist? Or, just let the same artist "give it a shot" even if it isn't what he normally does? Sometimes I feel a tattoo artist, although known for a particular style, could do lots more.

I'm on the road for work so really it wasn't even a question for me about whether I'd be seeing different people or not... but I think that even if my job was all in one place I would still probably be interested in seeing different people. I'm the kind of person that craves variety though - which is probably why I chose to work on the road instead of staying home. (One big old thought circle I just made!)

For me, I like my artists work, I think he kills the Japanese style, he's close by and I trust him. I don't really feel the need to go to someone else at this point. If I wanted something in a style that I didn't think he would do well, I'd go to somebody else, but for now, I'm sticking with him.

We're actually planning a Tibetan skull, with background, to wrap around the middle of my back to under my nipple; from my pants waist to a few inches under my armpit. We're still working out the details, but it should be cool.

ah i didnt know, because he spoke as if he were taking care of it on himself. Btw, @else, please pretty please upload your chad panther!!! I want to look at it all day

I know right!! That's ALL I've been doing since I got it!! My phone is totally acting up and I'm on a very, very poor internet connection - I'll get it uploaded as soon as I can!

I pretty much just have some random tattoos in varying styles so I've gone to different artists based on their "specialty." I really like going to different artists and different shops, though. For me, getting a tattoo includes enjoying the whole experience of going to a cool, new shop and meeting and experiencing different, talented artists in different towns and locations. Compared to most of the people here I have limited tattoo experience but I've been tattooed by old school veteran biker types, young new school artsy types, a world famous artist, local artists, etc., and have been tattooed in a cool shop in Brooklyn and at the great Hope Gallery in New Haven and Off the Map in Mass. I've been in shops that are private like doctors offices and others where I was just inside the main entrance behind the front counter. Again, for me I love experiencing all these different little things that go with getting a tattoo so I will continue to go to different artists and different shops for my future tattoos.

I think it just depends on what you want and how you'd like to go about getting tattoos. I went to the same artist for some of my tattoos because I was more comfortable going to the same person. Now, I am interested in finding great artists and having tattoos from many different artists... And since joining LST, I want to save up money and travel to get tattooed. :o

Personally, I'm currently going to 1 artist.From LA, I fly up to SF and drive over to SJ for each of my sessions these days. Jill Bonny at State Of Grace has done both of my sleeves, my lower right leg, and is currently working on my backpiece. I dig her work and my tattoos are all traditional Japanese so it makes sense to have been tattooed by 1 person so far. I'm lucky though. The shop in general has an amazing group. If I chose to get Japanese stuff from others, Taki, Horiken, Colin, and Horitomo are all there. Even if I switched to traditional western style, Dan Wysup is there too. And recently a few more artists have joined the shop. All are solid. It'd be hard for me to go to another shop. That said I really like Grez's work. And Darkhorse Tattoo is a 5 minute drive from me too, so sometimes, I'm tempted.

It's an individuals choice to go with one or many. Some want work by varied specific individuals known for a specific style or "their" style or take on a style, while others enjoy the comfort level and personal interaction they have with an artist they know. Mad props to both choices.

I pretty much just have some random tattoos in varying styles so I've gone to different artists based on their "specialty." I really like going to different artists and different shops, though. For me, getting a tattoo includes enjoying the whole experience of going to a cool, new shop and meeting and experiencing different, talented artists in different towns and locations. Compared to most of the people here I have limited tattoo experience but I've been tattooed by old school veteran biker types, young new school artsy types, a world famous artist, local artists, etc., and have been tattooed in a cool shop in Brooklyn and at the great Hope Gallery in New Haven and Off the Map in Mass. I've been in shops that are private like doctors offices and others where I was just inside the main entrance behind the front counter. Again, for me I love experiencing all these different little things that go with getting a tattoo so I will continue to go to different artists and different shops for my future tattoos.

My specific experiences are different, but I agree with the general sentiment here about tattoos being as much about the experience of getting them, and getting to visit new shops and meet new people as it is about the actual mark under the skin. That said, as I spend more time getting tattooed I also really like the relationships that develop with people you see repeatedly, so I can see myself getting more tattoos by people I've already been tattooed by just because I like them and enjoy getting tattooed by them. So yeah, either way is cool with me.

I'm definitely in the 'by multiple artist' camp. I also have only two tattoos so far though I have my appointment booked for my third (will be by a third artist). I think I will certainly end up getting more than one tattoo by an artist at some point, though. For example I think I'd like certain body parts (calves or shins, maybe inner forearms?) to be done with a matching theme and having one person do both would work well.

Sometimes I think "man, I'd really like to get something else by _____" but then I remember that there are so many different tattooers I want work by.

Living in London, I'm pretty fortunate to have Frith St (and all the amazing artists that come through that shop) near by, add in The Family Business and Into You as well and it'd be pretty difficult to stick to just one artist. Having said that, I can see myself landing up with a lot more work by Valerie than anyone else, provided I can get in fairly regularly.

I guess it's partly because I'm into the aesthetic of lots of individual pieces next to each other, I can see how it's a different ball game if you're getting large Japanese work.

So far my home shop is 765 miles from home. Took 2 long road trips in less than two months to get work done. Totally worth it.

Totally worth it! I think I'd feel that way about certain places I schlep to if I hadn't lucked out and found someone I liked a bunch here. I just got back from one of those long trips myself.