Do you go for lots of work by the same artist, or one piece per artist?

metalmancpa

I am all about the look of a cohesive body suit. I'm into traditional Japanese and one person has done my right arm. He is also going to be doing my left arm, torso, and left leg. Kore Flatmo is doing my back and right leg. After my body suit is completely done, COMPLETELY DONE, I will probably have my neck tattooed.

There is something to be said for getting pieces from different people. I will fill spaces like armpits, palms, head...with tattoos from people I respect. Tattooers that I know love tattooing and the craft the way I do. They don't need to be doing cutting edge work. As long as someone gives every ounce of their being to tattooing....I want work from them.

Oh, by the way, I contacted Hooper, Michael Bennet, Jondix, Tomas Tomas, Horitomo, and Taki about possibly doing a dome piece. Unfortunetaly, none of them other than Jondix has gotten back to me yet. The head piece is kind of just a thought right now....ugh, so many awesome tattooers, so little skin.

You're getting a lot of tattoos from Ron, right?

Two so far. I have a black rose from last summer, and just got some Bob Wicks flash from him.

- - - Updated - - -

You're getting a lot of tattoos from Ron, right?

Two so far. I have a black rose from last summer, and just got some Bob Wicks flash from him.

- - - Updated - - -

That Bob Wicks tattoo is really nice, I love the little subtleties he put into it like the shadows. I love Ron's tattoos.

I've been going to one shop (Kings Ave Tattoo) but getting tattooed by different people there. So far just guest artists, but I plan on getting almost all of my future tattoos there by their in-house artists. I have such a high level of trust with them. Every one there kills it and the shop houses a variety of styles if I ever wanted something else. Also, they are super nice and I know I can walk in there and be treated well and taken care of.

I feel like getting tattooed by one person has its pros and cons, but I would rather expand my options. Also, I love the idea of "collecting" tattoos. I'm looking forward to when I'm really old and showing a tattoo and being like "got this from______ back in _____" and every one starts freaking out. Kind of like Dan S :)

This is something I have thought about quite a bit. Except for my first 4 tattoos (all done by a tattooer who has since passed away) I have only been tattooed by the same guy for 10 years. I always felt that if I went somewhere else I would feel guilty for having someone else tattoo me. Silly as it is it I felt bad about it. Since coming to this forum and seeing how much is out there I decided to have one of my legs tattooed by all different tattooers, a single piece from many.

Already started but the first one done was from my usual guy. Seemed like a good way to kick it off. Next is a trip to another local shop, then Portland, Chicago and Oakland this year.

I've been going to one shop (Kings Ave Tattoo) but getting tattooed by different people there.

Hehe. I'd say that if you're lucky enough to be able to call Kings Ave your home shop no one would really be able to question your decision to get tattooed there exclusively. :)

I, personally, wish I had that luxury!

Good on you though!

Hehe. I'd say that if you're lucky enough to be able to call Kings Ave your home shop no one would really be able to question your decision to get tattooed there exclusively. :)

I, personally, wish I had that luxury!

Good on you though!

Thanks, I'm definitely never moving away from NYC!

Thanks, I'm definitely never moving away from NYC!

I'm almost at the point where it makes more sense for me to move to NYC than it does to keep on going back and forth. By the end of the sessions I have booked on my arm I think me and my wife will have gone down something like six times over a little over a year and a half to get tattooed? There are so many stupidly good people and shops there.

I like collecting from multiple artists, but I also have gotten to know a few tattooers as well. For those that I got to know, I plan on getting more than one piece from them.

But with that being said, I love what Stuart Cripwell is doing, giving that one client a full on body suit. I think it looks amazing.

I can understand both sides of the coin. If you want a true body suit, or if you just feel comfortable with with one person that is cool. I can also see the appeal to traveling and collecting stuff from tattooers you admire. I think most people on this forum understand just how many good tattooers are out there.

There is kind of a pet peeve if you want to call it that about some people that I encounter. I guess there are a few different variations of it, but it centers around people with trust issues from tattoo shops. I can understand people want to be sure about getting tattooed, but they sure do say some dumb shit sometimes. I think the worst is "I get tattooed by so an so and would never trust anyone else with my skin but now I moved and have to find someone else." Most of the time it's someone with four shitty tattoos, so you want to let them have it, but usually just ignore them. My boss on the other hand makes no promises. I think even when heavily covered people say they only trust the people inside our shop to tattoo them, I sometimes think "Wow I thought you were more informed than that.' I know it's a compliment and it's taken that way, but I always follow the thank you, with letting them know there are plenty of other competent people to get tattooed by in Portland and all over the country for that matter, but we are glad to have you here.

I guess what it comes down to, is if you get tattooed by one person, because it's convenient or it suits what type of tattoo plan you have, then cool. If you under the delusion that you are going to the only competent tattooer in the world, then you annoy me and are a douche.

This is something I have thought about quite a bit. Except for my first 4 tattoos (all done by a tattooer who has since passed away) I have only been tattooed by the same guy for 10 years. I always felt that if I went somewhere else I would feel guilty for having someone else tattoo me. Silly as it is it I felt bad about it. Since coming to this forum and seeing how much is out there I decided to have one of my legs tattooed by all different tattooers, a single piece from many.

Already started but the first one done was from my usual guy. Seemed like a good way to kick it off. Next is a trip to another local shop, then Portland, Chicago and Oakland this year.

What Tattooers are you going to in these cities.

Personally I have a list of artists accessible to me (europe) that I will eventually get work from each. Far to much talent out there to stick with one artist. Saying that I am in a situation where I have the means to travel and get tattooed by these artists, if that came to a stop and I was limted in travel distance and money,, I may well look at it differently.

Only thing I am finding is that my list keeps getting longer lol

I also am trying to keep a section of body for each artist, by that I mean, entire area like knee and below same artist, above different artist, whole chest one artist but doing it like this I may run out of skin....lol

I've been tattooed by various artist in the past, however, currently I really like the work my artist does, so I have a sleeve and thigh piece and currently am working on the other sleeve. I prefer to have large scale pieces and love cohesiveness and balance (although, I don't think working with one artist is the only way to get it) but it works very well for me and I will continue to do so.

There is kind of a pet peeve if you want to call it that about some people that I encounter. I guess there are a few different variations of it, but it centers around people with trust issues from tattoo shops. I can understand people want to be sure about getting tattooed, but they sure do say some dumb shit sometimes. I think the worst is "I get tattooed by so an so and would never trust anyone else with my skin but now I moved and have to find someone else."

You bring up a valid point. Just getting a tattoo is giving up a big level of trust. For me, I stick with Kings Ave not because I only trust the people there, but because they also are guaranteed to bring in new tattooers and guest artists of a high caliber. The whole idea of "trust" is just an iffy word for the idea of getting tattooed. Rather, a client should trust THEMSELF to make good decisions when choosing an artist or a shop. As long as you know a tattooer is legit and does good work, then "trusting" them or a shop is a non-issue.

You bring up a valid point. Just getting a tattoo is giving up a big level of trust. For me, I stick with Kings Ave not because I only trust the people there, but because they also are guaranteed to bring in new tattooers and guest artists of a high caliber. The whole idea of "trust" is just an iffy word for the idea of getting tattooed. Rather, a client should trust THEMSELF to make good decisions when choosing an artist or a shop. As long as you know a tattooer is legit and does good work, then "trusting" them or a shop is a non-issue.

Exactly, I think most of the time, people are just insecure and don't trust their judgement or they are trying to act cool, or they are looking for a deal. I just can't imagine going into a shop and essentially being like "well I don't know if you are good enough to tattoo me." before they have even looked at a portfolio and expect not to get a dirty look, but seems to be how some people approach it. I wouldn't even really say it angers me, but it just sets off a red flag that this person is probably going to be a pain in the ass and is probably just wasting my time and the rest of the interaction is me convincing them not to get tattooed or to go to a shop that is more willing to work with these types of clients.

I can understand both sides of the coin. If you want a true body suit, or if you just feel comfortable with with one person that is cool. I can also see the appeal to traveling and collecting stuff from tattooers you admire. I think most people on this forum understand just how many good tattooers are out there.

There is kind of a pet peeve if you want to call it that about some people that I encounter. I guess there are a few different variations of it, but it centers around people with trust issues from tattoo shops. I can understand people want to be sure about getting tattooed, but they sure do say some dumb shit sometimes. I think the worst is "I get tattooed by so an so and would never trust anyone else with my skin but now I moved and have to find someone else." Most of the time it's someone with four shitty tattoos, so you want to let them have it, but usually just ignore them. My boss on the other hand makes no promises. I think even when heavily covered people say they only trust the people inside our shop to tattoo them, I sometimes think "Wow I thought you were more informed than that.' I know it's a compliment and it's taken that way, but I always follow the thank you, with letting them know there are plenty of other competent people to get tattooed by in Portland and all over the country for that matter, but we are glad to have you here.

I guess what it comes down to, is if you get tattooed by one person, because it's convenient or it suits what type of tattoo plan you have, then cool. If you under the delusion that you are going to the only competent tattooer in the world, then you annoy me and are a douche.

What Tattooers are you going to in these cities.

I have family in Portland so I can make a few trips, planning now on Craig Brown at Historic (he used to work in the shop I go to up here in WA) and would like to check out other shops too. In Chicago I am hoping that I can schedule with Nick Colella, I am planning on going this summer. And in Oakland I would love to go to Freddy Corbin, I'll do about anything travel time wise to make that happen (flights to CA not too pricey from here, Chicago is a fortune though)

I have family in Portland so I can make a few trips, planning now on Craig Brown at Historic (he used to work in the shop I go to up here in WA) and would like to check out other shops too. In Chicago I am hoping that I can schedule with Nick Colella, I am planning on going this summer. And in Oakland I would love to go to Freddy Corbin, I'll do about anything travel time wise to make that happen (flights to CA not too pricey from here, Chicago is a fortune though)

If you are willing to fly to Midway through Southwest Chicago is much more reasonable. I don't think you should have any issue booking time with Nick Colella unless he has some travel obligations he doesn't book out very far and the rest of the guys at that shop put on a good tattoo as well. Craig puts on a really nice tattoo, If you get down here before end of February, make sure you get a tattoo from Jesse Bob at historic, he is moving back to Texas and his stuff is super cool. If you want to get booked in with Freddy I suggest you start hitting him up now, he can get pretty booked up.

If you are looking for shops to go to once you are down here, feel free to hit me up, i know all the spots.

If you want to get booked in with Freddy I suggest you start hitting him up now, he can get pretty booked up.

I'm pretty sure Freddy is fully booked for the next 3 months then he's taking a month off after that, I believe, and has yet to start scheduling appointments for when he starts back up again. You can call up Temple and leave your name, number, and what you want to get and they'll put you on the list for when he starts booking himself up again.

If you are willing to fly to Midway through Southwest Chicago is much more reasonable. I don't think you should have any issue booking time with Nick Colella unless he has some travel obligations he doesn't book out very far and the rest of the guys at that shop put on a good tattoo as well. Craig puts on a really nice tattoo, If you get down here before end of February, make sure you get a tattoo from Jesse Bob at historic, he is moving back to Texas and his stuff is super cool. If you want to get booked in with Freddy I suggest you start hitting him up now, he can get pretty booked up.

If you are looking for shops to go to once you are down here, feel free to hit me up, i know all the spots.

CTC is easy to get to on public trans from Midway, as well...just don't leave the main drags.

I understand both sides, but personally I like to collect different pieces from different artists.

Even though I have a special thing for Valerie:) I got my first tattoo by her and she has done lots of small pieces on me ever since. Now we started a back piece and I'm not planning to stop getting stuff from her just because she has done much on me already.

I only started to "collect" from different artists this year, and I will keep doing that as long as I have room and money left. I love to plan trips and travel to get tattooed:) And like @peterpoose said there are so many good artists out there so I can't stick to just one!