Do you go for lots of work by the same artist, or one piece per artist?

metalmancpa

I never gave the "bigger picture" a thought when I got my first tattoo at a street shop in Hawaii. When I got my 2nd from Gunnar, after almost a year of searching, that changed my perspective as I was so happy with Gunnar's outcome, I went back to have him rework the first. Now with my only tattoos technically being Gunnar's work, I'm a one artist person at this point.

Now as I think about the "what ifs" of getting a 3rd, at this point my gut says go back to Gunnar. My reasoning isn't necessarily about conformity. My gut tells me that Gunnar, the artist, could make each tattoo look different enough that it may not be that easy to tell all my work was from the same artist. Now, if I ever got another tattoo that incorporated human hands, I know Gunnar's signature is four fingers and not five. Would I ever ask him to sway from his signature and do five fingers which would make the piece less recognizable as his work? Artistically I think he can pull a lot off, like doing portraits or even traditional. Of course I would have to find out if he was even interested (50/50 shot). I was quite surprised he took on my rework (not his cup of tea), and he said it was because I was a good client. Now I guess I'm even better, so if I went back to him again he may just want to continue to ink me regardless of what I ask (unless he feels really strongly he couldn't pull something off).

I never gave the "bigger picture" a thought when I got my first tattoo at a street shop in Hawaii. When I got my 2nd from Gunnar, after almost a year of searching, that changed my perspective as I was so happy with Gunnar's outcome, I went back to have him rework the first. Now with my only tattoos technically being Gunnar's work, I'm a one artist person at this point.

Now as I think about the "what ifs" of getting a 3rd, at this point my gut says go back to Gunnar. My reasoning isn't necessarily about conformity. My gut tells me that Gunnar, the artist, could make each tattoo look different enough that it may not be that easy to tell all my work was from the same artist. Now, if I ever got another tattoo that incorporated human hands, I know Gunnar's signature is four fingers and not five. Would I ever ask him to sway from his signature and do five fingers which would make the piece less recognizable as his work? Artistically I think he can pull a lot off, like doing portraits or even traditional. Of course I would have to find out if he was even interested (50/50 shot). I was quite surprised he took on my rework (not his cup of tea), and he said it was because I was a good client. Now I guess I'm even better, so if I went back to him again he may just want to continue to ink me regardless of what I ask (unless he feels really strongly he couldn't pull something off).

Why would you go to Gunnar and not do what he loves to do and is one of the best in the world at?

Why would you go to Gunnar and not do what he loves to do and is one of the best in the world at?

The one I did in October was right up his alley, as per Gunnar himself. It was the eagle rework that wasn't, and honestly when I asked I didn't expect him to say yes. We had some good discussions, and although his cute and creepy style is what he's known for, he said himself sometimes the art world can pigeon-hole you into a corner. As an artist, he can do more than that. I've seen it in his art and he's told me so himself. Portraits are something he really does not enjoy, but given artistic freedom, he likes branching out.

If I get an idea for #3 (if I ever get #3), I'd probably throw it at him unless I knew without a shadow of a doubt another artist would nail the idea. It's his choice to say yes or no, not mine. I look at Gunnar as an artist known for a style, but not necessarily stuck in it.

If you are willing to fly to Midway through Southwest Chicago is much more reasonable. I don't think you should have any issue booking time with Nick Colella unless he has some travel obligations he doesn't book out very far and the rest of the guys at that shop put on a good tattoo as well. Craig puts on a really nice tattoo, If you get down here before end of February, make sure you get a tattoo from Jesse Bob at historic, he is moving back to Texas and his stuff is super cool. If you want to get booked in with Freddy I suggest you start hitting him up now, he can get pretty booked up.

If you are looking for shops to go to once you are down here, feel free to hit me up, i know all the spots.

I will definitely stop by your shop Acme, the tattoos posted on line from there look great. Probably sometime in March, I'll come by before that to book and leave deposit. And thanks for the flight tips. Chicago is going to happen no matter what and every penny saved on air fare equals more chair time.

I will definitely stop by your shop Acme, the tattoos posted on line from there look great. Probably sometime in March, I'll come by before that to book and leave deposit. And thanks for the flight tips. Chicago is going to happen no matter what and every penny saved on air fare equals more chair time.

I just got back from Chicago like two days ago, and I really wanted to get tattooed by Erik Gillespie, but didn't have time for any tattoo stuff, all family stuff this time. Feel free to stop by Acme anytime.

I plan on just having one artist tattoo me. I have an overall idea of what I want, and I want to be cohesive and flow together. I think one artist is the way to go in my case.

I've been with one shop since 2005 and my last 5 tattoos were done by the same artist. I'm committed with her for a large piece coming up, but I'd like to have something done by the other girl in the shop. She does real nice work and its still in the family.

Rob

I've been with one shop since 2005 and my last 5 tattoos were done by the same artist. I'm committed with her for a large piece coming up, but I'd like to have something done by the other girl in the shop. She does real nice work and its still in the family.

Rob

Thats to the LST community, I found an incredible artist. I cant even imagine what I would have ended up with had I not found this forum. Its a three hour drive for me, but I figure its a blessing to have an artist of that caliber so close by.

• 9 months later...

i only have 3 different artist work on my body, most my work is done by my boyfriend, and its relatively inexpensive this way :), but I do want to get some other work from different artist. I already have 2 other artist in mind for different pieces and different styles.

So far with my meeger two tattoos, they have both been done by the same artist.

Even though I'll never get another tattoo ;) , I started wondering IF I do, what would my approach be? Would I continue to be the canvas for the same artist, or branch out?

There are many factors here. I realize this would depend on my next idea (even though I don't currently have one). Knowing that the best approach is to fit an artist to a concept, would I keep my ideas within the realm of my current artist, or just go with whatever comes to mind and search out the best artist? Or, just let the same artist "give it a shot" even if it isn't what he normally does? Sometimes I feel a tattoo artist, although known for a particular style, could do lots more.

Myself, I go to whichever tattooers I'm familiar with and whichever tattooers who's quality of work I think is good. I've been tattooed by 16 different guys with 160hrs (and counting) over ten years. Tattooers with different style/vibe, different equipment, different processes, different touch. Hammer hands and gentle-gentleman. I've gone to most of my tattooers for more than one piece. This has really expanded my experiences and journey becoming an illustrated man. By going to different tattooers I've had the opportunities to be tattooed in new shops, old established shops, local shops, travels, private home studios, different shop setups and so now I know what I like, who I like and where I like to go to receive a tattoo. I've been tattooed by apprentices and I've been tattooed by some legit people that have been doing it for decades. Having Some tattooers are great to just slap on a banger and have some fun. Some I know will squeeze me in at the end of a day and sharpie one of my ridiculous ideas on. Some I know give that little bit extra in terms of refining a design/idea and being very particular about placement. I am lucky to say I have had nothing but positive experiences and NO REGRETS which is an important thing I attach to being a tattooed person.

If you have one tattooer you trust, that's great and enjoy it. I like to think that variety can lend itself to a wider range of opportunity and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 3 tattoos by 3 different artists so far. They have all been pretty simple, so it was more about experiencing the vibe and personality of an artist/shop rather than their specific style. I figure that during this time when my ideas are simple, I might as well check out as many different artists as possible and see if I find someone I'd like to work with on a larger tattoo.

I've only been technically tattooed by two artists, jailhouse tattoos do count, eh?

But only the three tattoos by the pro can still be seen.

I would rather have him do another but he doesn't do tattoos any more.

My wife and me want a 25th anniversary tattoo by July 2015.

So I figure the next best thing is to have someone from his old studio do it for me.

It's a connection spirit thing I am working from. I know who and where to find him.

I have time to make an appointment and get some designs down...

While I was in college I only ever got tattooed by one guy. When I moved home, I only really had one person tattoo me regularly for about seven years. He's now done most of my right arm and a handful of other things on me. I love having a local shop that I can walk into to get quality, and at this point he's become a pretty good friend of mine. He's taught me a lot about artists and places to check out, shown me tons of cool books, and given me plenty of artist suggestions.

Because of that (and the fact that I have bit more money!), in the last year or so, I've finally decided to branch out a bit. I've really gotten into getting tattooed by other artists, all of whom have been incredibly nice and great people. I've done some traveling for tattoos and been in some cool shops of all different varieties. It's been awesome, and without my regular artist, that probably never would've happened. Oh yeah, and I've gotten some pretty cool tattoos out of it. Haha.

I just counted and was a little surprised to find I have tattoos from ten different artists. I've travelled for some, made appointments with guests at The Pearl, as well as made regular visits to my usual local favourites. Looking forward to my next session my chest. I may try to get a little in tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

My current situation is my lower legs have work for a handful of artists and I'm currently planning on adding pieces from a few more. But I'm leaning towards ditching the "collect from a variety of artists" plan and instead having 1 artist (Chad Koeplinger) fill the remainder of my open spaces on my lower legs. My reasoning is every time I think "I'll book an appointment with X and get a Z from them" my next thought is "I really like the way Chad K does Z's maybe I should have him do it."

Has anyone else reached a point in collecting tattoos where they fall in love with one artist's work and find themselves basically comparing other artists work against it when deciding on who to get tattooed by next?

I've had two different artists do my tattoos, with one of them--Jeremy Swed--doing the majority...the other artist is Kenny Rice, who works at the same shop as Jeremy. I've come close to having other artists do work on me, but when it came down to it, I just felt more comfortable going with what I knew. I mean the other artists I considered were great/skilled tattooers, but ultimately what lead to me to sticking with Jeremy and Kenny was that the other artists didn't really take the time to understand what I wanted, it was more of a "come in when you want and I'll draw something up and do the tattoo"...plus, with me being a regular, I get somewhat of a discount on the price.