I need your help guys...

Brock Varty

Ok fellow forum goers, I need your help. Here is the dealio...

I really love woodblock print art. I really want this one ORIGINAL print. You guys need to convince me it is worth $450 bucks.

It is an original Yoshitoshi print from 1868. 9x14 Print is a depiction from 47 Ronin-the image is of Hayano Wasuke Tsunenari exacting revenge upon an adversary

Found it on Gomineko Books website.

I may be the wrong one to give an opinion since I love this type of artwork, but I say go for it if it's something you really want. I think it looks great and I would love to have this hanging in my house. For a piece of original art from 1868, this seems like a great deal. I just ordered Kuniyoshi's 101 Samurai prints today and am psyched to be getting it, but nothing beats the beauty of an original Japanese woodblock print. You only live once....... go for it. ;)

I may be the wrong one to give an opinion since I love this type of artwork, but I say go for it if it's something you really want. I think it looks great and I would love to have this hanging in my house. For a piece of original art from 1868, this seems like a great deal. I just ordered Kuniyoshi's 101 Samurai prints today and am psyched to get it. You only live once....... go for it. ;)

I think of all the things you can spend money on, you can do FAR worse than a piece of art that is going to excite and inspire you. I don't know much about collecting ukiyo-e and how that is as a price, but it isn't really that much money for something you're going to treasure for years.

@Brock Varty There's a Japanese Gallery in London selling original woodblock prints that you can compare prices too ,

check out their selection of Kuniyoshi and co while you're at it

JAPANESE GALLERY, London, UK. Buy ukiyoe prints online.

@kylegrey,

I don't know whether to love you or be disgusted. I've never found that site before and could spend hours looking around, plus a lot of money. :o That site is great.

@kylegrey I really appreciate the hook-up on that London gallery. Yoshitoshi is not my first choice...if I can get any Kuniyoshi original, I would rather have that.

@oldfortart Thanks for the words man. It is very much worth it to me. I am just deciding between this and money for an iPhone...

@Graeme You always have something awesome to say... thanks sir.

Basically, I am just starting to collect Japanese art. I want a piece that really feels perfect, I love that Yoshitoshi print, however, I wanted something larger and would love to be able to get my hands on an Original Kuniyoshi. I'm also looking for an old Daruma doll...preferably older than 1900.

Between this and an iPhone, go for the art. No question. iPhones are stupid because if you get one you're going to follow a whole bunch of great tattooers on instagram and look at these tiny shitty pictures of amazing tattoos that totally rob them of the actual power they have and you're going to spend way more time than is actually useful doing this when you could be doing better things with your time, like learning about Japanese art, drawing, reading, or so many other things.

Between this and an iPhone, go for the art. No question. iPhones are stupid because if you get one you're going to follow a whole bunch of great tattooers on instagram and look at these tiny shitty pictures of amazing tattoos that totally rob them of the actual power they have and you're going to spend way more time than is actually useful doing this when you could be doing better things with your time, like learning about Japanese art, drawing, reading, or so many other things.

And also, within a couple years, that iPhone will be outdated and a useless hunk of scrap. That print on the other hand, will still be hanging on your wall, and being admired every day.

iPhones are stupid because if you get one you're going to follow a whole bunch of great tattooers on instagram and look at these tiny shitty pictures of amazing tattoos

I was talking to my sister the other day about my plans for upcoming tattoos (she's supportive of me no matter what I do, but thinks I have plenty of tattoos already). She asked how I find out who is doing what and when they're going to be in town. I told her I was following a bunch of them on Instagram and her reply was "um, maybe you should quit following so many tattooers on instagram and just look at pictures of cats like everybody else".

I was talking to my sister the other day about my plans for upcoming tattoos (she's supportive of me no matter what I do, but thinks I have plenty of tattoos already). She asked how I find out who is doing what and when they're going to be in town. I told her I was following a bunch of them on Instagram and her reply was "um, maybe you should quit following so many tattooers on instagram and just look at pictures of cats like everybody else".

Hahaha this is amazing! Tell your sister that you can do both! My IG feed is all tattoos, cats and dogs.

I have been for quite some time. If you didn't know...All of the prints he posts are in his own personal collection.

Really?! that is impressive. I've only been following him for a month or 2 and his posts have already inspired me to learn more about Japanese art and possibly start collecting originals.

Years ago, I wandered into a random little shop in San Antonio that sold Mexican imports and various stuff. The owner also had some of his own paintings for sale. One was a really cool folksy interpretation of Rose of No Man's Land. I think he wanted $100 or so for it--not much, but at the time, money was very tight. He said, "My philosophy on art is, if you can afford it, you should buy it." Now, dude was obviously looking to make a buck, but I also saw his point. That $100 would've been spent on something inconsequential and gone before I knew it, but that painting has been on my wall every day for 15+ years now, and it's brought me lots of enjoyment.

So yeah. Get an awesome print. I don't think you'll ever regret it.

Years ago, I wandered into a random little shop in San Antonio that sold Mexican imports and various stuff. The owner also had some of his own paintings for sale. One was a really cool folksy interpretation of Rose of No Man's Land. I think he wanted $100 or so for it--not much, but at the time, money was very tight. He said, "My philosophy on art is, if you can afford it, you should buy it." Now, dude was obviously looking to make a buck, but I also saw his point. That $100 would've been spent on something inconsequential and gone before I knew it, but that painting has been on my wall every day for 15+ years now, and it's brought me lots of enjoyment.

So yeah. Get an awesome print. I don't think you'll ever regret it.

I decided on buying a print. @kylegrey posted a great website to a place in London selling tons of original woodblock prints. I am trying to find a Kuniyoshi that is around $500.