Hey guys

alexpug

Hello, my name is Silvy and I live in Belgium. Before I start to introduce myself any further, I would like to say that I'm not a Tattoo artist nor do I have any tattoo's myself. But I do love tattoos with a passion though and one day I would love to have some myself.

I really started to love tattoos a few years back and started to make some designs myself since drawing has been my lifelong passion. I love drawing tattoo designs, even when I am unable to place them on people. And also, because I'm no Tattoo artist, but I love the art of tattooing, I decided to make a comic about a Tattoo artist (and I really, really hope I don't offend any artist with this) because this way I can express my love for this art form through another medium despite me being not a Tattoo artist.

I decided to join these forums to be able to talk about tattoos and designs in general and to get some ideas/information about good Tattoo artists/ tattoos in general.

Silvy

Hi, Silvy. This is a great place to start your tattoo experience. Feel free to do some homework and check out the videos and threads. Also, if you don't have any experience with tattooers, may I ask where you got the content for your comic? Just curious.

Thank you for the comment.

The content I got for the comic isn't varied, but some of my friends got tattooed and I went with them, and if I was able to stay and the artist allowed me to watch, I was able to ask some questions if the artist didn't mind. (But that wasn't really with the comic in mind because I hadn't even started with it yet, but it helped) but that isn't comparable to getting a tattoo done on yourself of course...

I also have visited a convention once and looked things up in magazines, read books etc. But the thing is, the comic is only a rough draft now and I'm going to seriously continue to work on the comic once I have more experience with the tattooworld and maybe have some tattoos myself. Then I think I will be in a more suitable position to do some work on this section of art and then I will feel more comfortable making the comic. And in case you are wondering, I'm very serious about this and would never do something that would purposely offend artists and collectors alike. Please let me know if you are. :)

I'm not a tattoo artist either, but I really don't understand why you would express your love for tattoos through writing and drawing a comic book instead of, you know, actually getting tattooed. I hate to come across as a dick here, but that doesn't make any sense to me and I don't have much patience for it.

Thanks for your comment.

I understand that you don't understand me, and I hope you have the patience to read my comment :).

I probably should have written that I don't wish to offend anyone with this.

I could indeed get a tattoo to express my love for it (you are absolutely right!), but right now I don't have any tattoos myself because I haven't found the right tattoo yet. I don't want to make a hasty decision about something as important/permanent such as a tattoo (which I find rather normal). When I have made up my mind, I will get one for sure. Just right now isn't the time for me to get one. One of the main reasons why I joined these forums is because I could look at other people their tattoos, their work and hear stories about their experiences so it would be able to help me make a decision about my own possible future tattoos.

Now something about the small comic 'project'. I like comics as much as I like tattoos. I like them so much that I want to make comics, just like I want to be a Tattoo artist myself someday.

So I thought, why not make a comic about the thing I like so much? Why not make a story where the main character is a Tattoo artist and one of the main themes are tattoos and symbolism? This way I can draw the tattoos myself and write about art and tattoos without getting them at the moment or despite me not being a Tattoo artist.

If I would have liked the art and history of Graffiti more than the art and history of tattooing, I would make a comic book about a Grafitti artist with graffiti as a main theme instead of a story about a Tattoo artist with tattoos as a main theme.

I will only write and draw something that I genuinely care about. Comics are another medium to express something I care for.

I hope it makes a little bit more sense to you now and thank you for reading.

"How can you know if you want to be a tattooer if you don't even have any tattoos? You need to spend some time getting tattooed, and in tattoo shops, and find out what they are about." Freddy Corbin said that, and if you don't know who that is, then I suggest not posting anymore until you do. I think it would be wise for you to take his advice. It is common for people who are new to tattoos to say that they want to be a tattooer some day, but that is rarely really the case. Even if you know how to draw, it takes an entirely different skill set to make a drawing that will be a good tattoo. There are countless other reasons that people fail as tattooers, as well. That said, I am not a tattooer, just a tattooed person, so maybe some of our seasoned tattooers can pitch in. Don't be offended if they don't take kindly to your enthusiasm.