San diego tattoo artists/tattoo shops

majorpenalty

i'll be on vacation in late may

i'd like to get some work done while i'm there

and i want to book an appt in advance

can anyone recommend a good shop, good artists around san diego area?

i'll be grateful

thanks

i'd like to add that i'm looking at guru tattoo and flying panther right now

I was there two years ago,and got tattooed by Alessio Ricci@ Avalon II Tattoo San Diego Denny does some beautiful Japanese work too.What style did you want to get done?

i'm open to black/grey, pinup, traditional or maybe a tattoo symbolize my cali trip(cholo or cholo girl)

haven't decided on anything specific yet

i need to know some good artists in sd area so i can look up what they're good at

- - - Updated - - -

I was there two years ago,and got tattooed by Alessio Ricci@ Avalon II Tattoo San Diego Denny does some beautiful Japanese work too.What style did you want to get done?

i think avalon has 2 shops around sd but im not familiar with their artists

- - - Updated - - -

Be advised that Power Tattoo is about a 45 minute drive from downtown San Diego.

Full Circle is a really nice shop with a great crew. I got a tattoo there last October and had a great experience.

who did you get tattooed by at full circle, i'm only familiar with Canales' work

- - - Updated - - -

also i'm supposed to talk to ben grillo tomorrow, maybe i'll get lucky and book something with him

i'm open to black/grey, pinup, traditional or maybe a tattoo symbolize my cali trip(cholo or cholo girl)

haven't decided on anything specific yet

i need to know some good artists in sd area so i can look up what they're good at

- - - Updated - - -

i think avalon has 2 shops around sd but im not familiar with their artists

- - - Updated - - -

who did you get tattooed by at full circle, i'm only familiar with Canales' work

- - - Updated - - -

also i'm supposed to talk to ben grillo tomorrow, maybe i'll get lucky and book something with him

I'll be pretty jelly if you get in with Grillo..

@majorpenalty - I got tattooed by Johnny Bones while he was working a guest spot. He is a regular guest there. Tattoos out of Mi Familia in Anaheim. I have two close friends with stuff from Gemma - she does good stuff. I'm moving back in a month and fully intend to get some stuff from James Tran. It is a nice shop. Also, Marcus Kuhn works there some. And has a private studio. Get some!

I'm actually planning a San Diego trip myself. I got a few shops in mind: Flying Panther (Rob Benavides, Micah Caudle), Seven Seas (Sergio Hernandez, Caz, Dan Pryor), Lifetime (Rob Hostetter, Thor), Master Tattoo (Philip Hatchet Yau).

There are tons of great tattooers in SD. I'm only trying to get one tattoo. Perhaps even two. I need to cut my list down in half. Shoot, I know I don't need to travel for tattoos since I live in The Bay, but traveling is fun. And I need to get my carne asada fries fix.

• 3 weeks later...
i'll be on vacation in late may

i'd like to get some work done while i'm there

and i want to book an appt in advance

can anyone recommend a good shop, good artists around san diego area?

i'll be grateful

thanks

i'd like to add that i'm looking at guru tattoo and flying panther right now

Most artists from Guru have a long wait list and you can find better artists within 1-2 hour drive out of SD. I live in SD and I don't get work done here. You have guys up north like Carlos Torres, Josh Duffy, Mike Devries, Carson Hill, Roman Abrego, etc...do some more research, it's worth the hour drive to get work done from the top guys.

Most artists from Guru have a long wait list and you can find better artists within 1-2 hour drive out of SD. I live in SD and I don't get work done here. You have guys up north like Carlos Torres, Josh Duffy, Mike Devries, Carson Hill, Roman Abrego, etc...do some more research, it's worth the hour drive to get work done from the top guys.

I don't know, all those guys do black and grey, portraits of celebrities or bio-mech in Roman's case. I think it would be way more the OP's speed to book ahead and get a tattoo from Honkey Kong at Guru, or Micah or Rob at Flying Panther, or Alessio or Denny at Avalon.

• 1 month later...
Reviving this thread, but I was pretty blown away by Phil Hatchet Yau's work, especially after learning that he has only been tattooing for like 3 years or something. His style reminds me a lot of some of the Spanish tattooers, specifically Deno Jr. and El Monga... so really, really cool.

I lurk B9 and saw you post this on there too. Wanted to comment on it but couldn't. Phil's work is super rad. His animal heads are awesome. He takes lots of cool risks with the geo/traditional and using negative space. I dig his color palette too. Trying to get something from him soon.