San diego tattoo artists/tattoo shops

majorpenalty

I live in San Diego... I know I'm super lucky to live in a city with so many great tattoo artists, but does anyone know if there's an artist that does watercolor tattoos? I really like Nate Banuelos from Guru Tattoo but I've yet to see a portfolio with watercolor tattoos. Help?

I live in San Diego... I know I'm super lucky to live in a city with so many great tattoo artists, but does anyone know if there's an artist that does watercolor tattoos? I really like Nate Banuelos from Guru Tattoo but I've yet to see a portfolio with watercolor tattoos. Help?

What is a watercolor tattoo?

It's basically just a tattoo made to seem like it's painted with watercolor paint. :) I've been seeing them a lot lately and I like. I tried posting a link to a website with examples, I think it got filtered? Here's two examples:

2781_600.jpg1121_600.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

It's basically just a tattoo made to seem like it's painted with watercolor paint. :) I've been seeing them a lot lately and I like. I tried posting a link to a website with examples, I think it got filtered?

Looks like Amanda Wachob's work. I believe she works out of NYC. I don't know anyone else doing this kinda work though.

Briana@ San Diego Tattoo Shop - BUJU Tattoo - Briana Sargent has some examples of that type of work.

Gene@ Artists | Tattoo Culture does that splatter the ink style in NYC.

• 3 weeks later...

I love San Diego, and i make sure to visit Guru Tattoo every time im in the neighborhood, the folks that work there are an A+ all around. Nice, friendly highly skilled bunch of guys that are very welcoming. I got tattooed by Honkey Kong a while back and its one of my favorite pieces. They did a great job in covering all angles of the tattoo spectrum. I really havent gone to other shops in the SD area but im sure there are some other great shops around.

• 9 months later...

Figured i would bump this thread especially since i can't post a thread of my own yet. I am looking to get a full sleeve dragon tattoo , the two artists i have found so far that i really like there work and had similar examples to what i have in mind are Terry Ribera and Bill Canales. I am willing to drive to Los Angeles and anywhere in between but am looking for some other artists simply because i am so new to Tattoo's and i really wanna look at a lot of people's work before i make up my mind. As far as other cities go obviously LA has a lot of choices and the first one that just grabbed my attention was phillip spearmen but i have no idea if he has a long wait list or not.

Figured i would bump this thread especially since i can't post a thread of my own yet. I am looking to get a full sleeve dragon tattoo , the two artists i have found so far that i really like there work and had similar examples to what i have in mind are Terry Ribera and Bill Canales. I am willing to drive to Los Angeles and anywhere in between but am looking for some other artists simply because i am so new to Tattoo's and i really wanna look at a lot of people's work before i make up my mind. As far as other cities go obviously LA has a lot of choices and the first one that just grabbed my attention was phillip spearmen but i have no idea if he has a long wait list or not.

If you're willing to go to LA to get tattooed, I'd suggest checking out Tattooland. Chris Brand, Stan Corona, and Mike Suarez could all give you a great tattoo.

I'm not sure all these images will work, but let's try this:

Chris Brand:

942417_659772937385931_1163535954_n.jpg

Stan Corona (kind of wanted to find a picture of a dragon he's done, but this backpiece is just too good to not share):

373b7e549acc11e38bf51257d402a110_8.jpg

Mike Suarez:

2c6e96e2cae711e2929322000a9e0719_7.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't worry about things like waiting lists. You might have to wait, you might not, but it's far more important to get the tattoo you really want.

Thanks for the help guys ya i would rather wait and get a great tattoo then rush and get stuck with something i have to tell a story as to why i allowed someone to put 'that' on my skin :)

That tattoo Mike Suarez did is amazing.

* thanks for all the advice of people that keep posting :)

Out of those three I would go with Bill.He does a lot of Japanese work compared to the other two.

Alessio & Denny@ Avalon II Tattoo San Diego are real good with dragons.

Japanese Style Tattoos at Onizuka Tattoo | Little Tokyo, Los Angeles CA some good Asian artists at this shop.

Home - Small Paul Tattoo has a lot of experience doing dragons.

Instagram

For a full sleeve dragon tattoo, I would go see Bill Canales.

- - - Updated - - -

@Graeme that Stan Corona tattoo though.... THOSE PINKS. WOW.

thanks guy for all the advice anyone know how long of a waiting list Bill Canales has ?

Call the shop. They are the most reliable source for answering this question.

As a side note I think we as clients do artists a disservice by publicly quoting the length of a wait list. I wouldn't want a potential client to not contact an artist because they heard a rumor that their wait list is X months/years long. A new client might get lucky if they call right after a few flaky people back out of big scheduled projects. Or certain ideas might be bumped to the top of the waiting list.