Opening sterile packages in front of you

Jessica08

I think it's kind of a learned behavior and attitude. You can't just go into a place and use a service, you have to complain, haggle, and bust balls so people know you are important. The idea that someone has been operating a business for years doing the same procedure you are asked to be done, and you treat them like you are the first and only person they have tattooed, just tells me you are either a self important asshole or just kind of socially inept. I once stumbled upon a corner of the internet where a know nothing with two tattoos was encouraging people to demand to tour their clean room, before they got a tattoo everywhere. I kindly had to give her my insight that the room stays clean because we try to allow the least amount of people back there to minimize any risk of contamination. Think of walking into a restaurant and instead of ordering food, just demanding proof that all the dishes were washed and all employees washed their hands (treating people like idiots). A generation of people told daily how special they are, which incidentally has become a big part of society and tattoo clients.

So you want to the see the package opened up in front of you, cool no problem. But do you know you sterilized those tools? The same asshole you didn't trust in the first place! They are not taking out your appendix, it's just a tattoo. Learning to sterilize equipment and work area is simple and can be taught in ten minutes, and just remember that most of the sterilization process and preventative measures are done so YOU don't spread disease to the tattooer, not the other way around. Most tattoo infections are caused by people using inadequate aftercare (being filthy slobs).

But they are important and influential Yelp reviewers so they'd better get a good tattoo!

But they are important and influential Yelp reviewers so they'd better get a good tattoo!

off thread topic but yelp tattoo shop reviews are hilarious, especially when the artists post responses.

This is one of my favorites:

Yelper review:

Went in with a few buddies of mine while we were at the beach and hate to say i was extremely disappointed. I overheard one customer simply ask one of the "artists" what he would have priced his tattoo if he were to have gotten it at Right Coast. The artist glances at the tat and says "200, and it would have been a whole lot better." Keep in mind that this customer was an 18 or 19 year old kid who could have sent this skinny a-hole to the hospital. This is but one example of which i have plenty more. Simply said, their stuck up, snobby, and condescending attitudes and tones made me want to pay these guys to NOT tattoo me. I have no doubt that their talent is immense, but the lack of customer service and good nature turned this great looking shop into a hostile environment full of little dick's. Makes me never want to step foot in their shop again.

Response from Todd N. of Right Coast Tattoo

James, I'm sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant experience at my shop, that being said this is a tattoo shop, not a flower shop where butterfly kisses are greeted to every customer that walks thru the door...some people who come in the shop with bad attitudes are given a degree of patience and if they don't change that attitude it will be given back to them....we tell it like it is...sometimes we are brutally honest...with combined experience of 40yrs in this business we see it all and deal with all kinds of folks...folks that just want to know if the crappy tattoo they got in a kitchen was a good deal, with no intention of spending money in my establishment, i'm referring to the scenario you spoke of...i would much rather get tattooed by a talented artist who happens to be a little "rude" than an unskilled tattooer who is nice the end result is ART ON YOUR SKIN FOR LIFE.

What if tattooers flipped the script? What if you had to provide proof that you didn't have a disease to get tattooed, or they were able to critique your personal hygiene? A tattooer has a routine that ensures the procedure will be safe and sanitary, regardless of the situation, so they don't have to bring up those subjects and make clients feel like filthy diseased ridden slobs.

What if tattooers flipped the script? What if you had to provide proof that you didn't have a disease to get tattooed, or they were able to critique your personal hygiene? A tattooer has a routine that ensures the procedure will be safe and sanitary, regardless of the situation, so they don't have to bring up those subjects and make clients feel like filthy diseased ridden slobs.

I always did wonder if people with any kind of disease mentions it to the tattooer. I suspect not.

I always did wonder if people with any kind of disease mentions it to the tattooer. I suspect not.

It's on the release form, but yeah most people aren't forthcoming with info. I just hum "everyone has AIDS" from Team America to remind me everyday.

Have had a few people admit that they are heroin addicts while getting tattooed, but it was no big deal, because you just assume everyone is.

It's on the release form, but yeah most people aren't forthcoming with info. I just hum "everyone has AIDS" from Team America to remind me everyday.

Have had a few people admit that they are heroin addicts while getting tattooed, but it was no big deal, because you just assume everyone is.

I forgot about those. I haven't signed one since I got my first tattoo.

Also working with hospitals in the past, I assume everyone is a walking cesspool/addict, so I get that logic.

If you're going to a reputable shop and experienced tattoo artist that you trust I see no reason why you'd have to be a witness to them opening up sterile packages. If they happen to set up in front of me that's cool but if they are already setup and ready to go it's no bid deal for me. I'd like to think that these guys are professionals and will do everything in their power to give you the best tattoo possible which includes making sure that there is a clean work environment and that the equipment being used has been sterilized. Bottom line though if you don't trust the artist and have to question whether or not if everything has been sterilized then maybe you shouldn't be getting tattooed by them to begin with.

I've seen at one point, at least in my area, some shops had on theire consent sheet "are you HIV positive?" that had to be checked off as "yes or no" before the artist would tattoo them. This was around 1986. I also have not signed a consent form in many years, no idea if it might still be on them.

I've seen a diabetic that had had a weird reaction right in the shop during the tattoo process. That person did not disclose it up front and never imagined it might be an issue. It would have given the artist something to watch out for and maybe break the work up into 2 sessions.

Rob