Opening sterile packages in front of you

Jessica08

Are tattooers required to open sterile packages in front of their customers? I know most do, but is it a problem if they don't? I realized after I got my tattoo the other day that the lady didn't. Everything was set up before she called me back. I was nervous beforehand that I didn't even think anything of it or even to ask. This shop is clean, and both me and my brother have used them, but I was just curious. I would prefer that she did, but again I was too nervous to think about it.

I don't think it's a big deal, though if you are nervous about it the appropriate time to ask to watch is well before they start to set up. No one likes wasting supplies because a customer was too nervous to pay attention to the setup process. I, for one, set up in an open room and if the customer wants to see, they can. Not every artist wants their setup to be scrutinized by the eyes of someone who may not understand the process, or worse, by someone trying to understand the process for their home use...

Oh I agree. I didn't think anything of it until I got home. I was nervous about getting a tattoo not the fact she didn't open up the packages in front of me. I'm sure there is a lot of things involved in getting the needles, etc. ready so I can see why some go ahead and do that. I'm just curious what the norm is. All the behind the scenes work of tattooing intrigues me.

BTW that MJ tattoo I saw in your gallery is sweet. :)

The shop I work in just does a normal routine of setting up before the client is invited back. Its an open room and completely visible and the customer is able to see the packages being opened if they choose to pay attention, but I think its just routine to set up and not make an event out of it.

Each state has different laws regarding tattooing, but no state I am aware has a law regarding this issue. Sterilization can be taught in an afternoon, it takes a lot longer to learn how to tattoo, most people probably learned how to scrub tubs and run an autoclave before they ever picked up a machine. It seems so second nature, that I am not saying it wouldn't happen, but there would probably be a few more red flags that jumped out at you concerning the professionalism of a shop that re used equipment.

Even if you are out of supplies, there are always other tattooers in shop to borrow from, or even using a disposable single use plastic tube would be an option, or you run the autoclave and make your client wait. I can understand how people are weird about stuff and always try to make them feel at ease, but if you knew how seriously ever shop I have been in takes it, both for your safety and the tattooers and their families safety, you mind would be at ease.

I've watched my tattooer set up when I've arrived early, but he doesn't make any effort to involve me in the process or explain what he is doing, although he would if I asked him. Asking about sanitary procedures was part of what I did before I decided where to get worked on. Once my decision was made I never gave it another thought ... Odd since I'm such an anal retentive ass-hole about most stuff!

I have everything ready set and good to go by the time I call my client back back in Portland. I feel it depends on where your getting tattooed. In a 3rd world country like Im now working, and on mostly travelers I open everything in front of them but back home with my studios reputation as well as most my clients are referrals I just assume a level of trust. I have had a few people ask me about this and after showing them my stock of already packaged needles and tubes they relaxed and relized there's it just obvious the set up came from the same pre packaged stock.

I've been inked so many times and probably years back, things weren't nearly as sanitary as they are now... and I'm still alive.

If you have any concerns, just ask the artist (before the session starts...), some may appreciate you watching out for yourself and they get a chance to educate the public. And you'll tell others how clean and conscientiously the shop is run.

Rob

• 6 months later...

My artist opened up everything in front of me not that I was worried about it since the shop is clean and everyone who I know that has been there says nothing bad about it and all the artists there take care of making sure they clean and the customer is comfortable with the whole process

My artist opened up everything in front of me not that I was worried about it since the shop is clean and everyone who I know that has been there says nothing bad about it and all the artists there take care of making sure they clean and the customer is comfortable with the whole process

Dude, sentences and punctuation please.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had some major dental work done a couple of weeks ago. As a result i had various instruments all up in my mouth. Because he's a professional i didn't ask or even think to ask my dentist to prove to me that he ran a clean operation, nor did i lose any sleep over it later.

I worked in an ER for 6 years and in that time I never witnessed a single person ask to see proof that the syringe, tongue depressor, speculum, scalpel or sutures etc. etc. were new or ask to see it being removed from the package.likewise, I'd bet the farm you have never asked a dentist or doctor to prove they're using clean instruments either.

to answer the OG question; Much like a doctor is only allowed to use a scalpel blade once we are only allowed to use a needle once and just as the doctor has no legal obligation to open the blade in front of you nor do tattooers have a legal obligation to do so.

that being said, i will gladly and without hesitation open and assemble any and all tools in front of anyone who asks if it makes them feel better and more at ease. I'll do it with a smile on my face AND i wont even mention that when they said "i need to see you open the needle in front of me" what i really heard was " hey, you're a heavily tattooed person and therefore i assume that you're most likely a dirt bag that i cant possibly view as being a professional with ethics so i need for you to open that needle in front of me although i would never ask that of my dentist because i would feel like i was insulting him/her"

Edited by Bart Bingham
grammar/spelling

• 2 weeks later...

The shop that I go to usually has most of the equipment including needles before they start. The first time I got tattooed I asked a ton of questions about how it all worked. My tattooer was more than happy to explain their sanitation process before he started. It was great, totally put my mind at ease.

In most states, tattoo artists are not required to be licensed individually, nor do they have to complete a bloodborn pathogens class prior to becoming an artist. Most if not all of the examples provided above are individuals who must first be formally educated in their areas of expertise and then pass a state exam and on top of that, complete around 24 hours of continuing education every 2 years to renew said license. Even barber's/ hair stylists by me are required to undergo training and have a valid Illinois license.

Now with that said, there are employees in all fields that become complacent or lazy, which can lead to an unsterile environment. Most hospitals where I have been employed require me to wash my hands in front of my patient before interacting with my patient upon entering a room. I am also required to open all of my catheters, syringes, flushes, caps etc., within the sight of my patient. Once items have been opened, I cannot leave the room. If I leave the room and my supplies are open and unattended, I must discard everything and begin all over.

I would feel it would be in the shops best interest to make it a policy where all setups and package openings be made within the sight of the person getting the tattoo. Also hand washing should be visible and gloves should be changed anytime a non sterile object is touched.

Now I am sure most of you do this already and are extremely professional. But for every 10 that are awesome there is 1 person where the person getting tattooed should of asked to see it beforehand. Most of the artists here live to tattoo, but for some, it's just a job and they try to skirt by on the minimum. Unfortunately many people don't know this until it's too late. It isn't something to be taken lightly and can dramatically alter your quality of life forever. So if you run into someone who asks to see packages opened, it isn't because they don't trust you, its because we only live once and You can never be too careful.Hope this helps some people see the other side. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

"So if you run into someone who asks to see packages opened, it isn't because they don't trust you"

it's exactly because they don't trust us.

As i said in my previous statement I have absolutely no issue with opening packages in front of folks, its not a big deal and while i dont get butthurt i do feel a tad insulted by the request ONLY because i know almost undoubtedly that that person asking me has never asked a doctor or nurse or dentist or even acupucturist to do the same because they view those individuals as professionals they can trust while we're just a bunch of filthy bikers. you make a good point about the stricter certs for those folks but really that isnt whats going through most peoples minds when the ask to watch a setup.the exception to that being people who work in the medical field. what is going through the average non medical field persons mind is based purely on our looks and on preconceived notions that we're mostly a bunch of dirty bikers.

I worked in 2 of the busiest ERs in the country for 6 years and in that time i've seen plenty of nurses, doctors, phlebotomist etc., etc cross contaminate and break the sterile chain regardless of all that certification. sometimes out of laziness but mostly out of just plain ole absent mindedness i think folks SHOULD be asking to see packages opened. my problem isnt that they ask me, its that they ask ONLY me.

i cant speak for every state but the last three states ive worked in including NY where i am now have all required me/all tattooers to be individually licensed as well as pass a test demonstrating basic knowledge of universal precautions/bloodborne pathogens.

side note : a large part of why i personally prefer clients not see me setup is that i worked hard to learn this craft and get every little nugget of info that i could. setting up a tattoo machine for optimal performance and efficiency is not common knowledge and so i don want to give trade secrets out to every aspiring tattoo artist that comes in the door any more that KFC wants us to know what their 11 herbs and spices are.

with that being said i do get where youre coming from and respect your side of the debate.

I respect your side as well. It's a fine line. I don't know how to find the middle ground. Maybe having everything set up minus the actual needles..... If that would even work. It is horrible that you get singled out. I treat each person the way I want to be treated. There are a lot of jerks everywhere so just keep your head up. I guess for me the only scary part is the lack of regulations.

I am currently looking for an artist right now. It's both scary and exciting because basically it's an unknown. You never truly know what to expect until it's over really.

If you want to know what I have looked at in shops is dust on lighting fuxtures/and other decorations in the shop. Also I look at the baseboards. If those things are clean I feel as though they pay attention to detail. Having a dusty environment negates almost the entire sterile field as when people walk passed the dust circulates then falls. Then again I should of never taken microbiology cause I think about things no normal person would. Thanks and wish you all the best

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

I just stick to shops that are clean, and employe top-notch artists so I know that not only is the tattoo going to come out awesome but they also know what they are doing. In my mind I trust a good tattooer because they wouldn't want their work getting infected and looking like absolute shit. The one thing I've been picking up over the last few years is in tattooing, reputation means a lot. If you got a string of infected people, chances are the news will circulate quickly.

My artist always does his set up in front of me.. Ive never asked him to, he just does. I've no interest in becoming a tattoo artist so I don't ask questions that might be invasive towards trade secrets.

Several times he tattoos my wife and I in the same day and he resets up everything.

I've never been concerned with cleanliness where I go, but I do appreciate the transparency of the process and I think it's interesting to watch him tune(my term, could be wrong?) the machines. I'm a real mechanical person.

I think it's kind of a learned behavior and attitude. You can't just go into a place and use a service, you have to complain, haggle, and bust balls so people know you are important. The idea that someone has been operating a business for years doing the same procedure you are asked to be done, and you treat them like you are the first and only person they have tattooed, just tells me you are either a self important asshole or just kind of socially inept. I once stumbled upon a corner of the internet where a know nothing with two tattoos was encouraging people to demand to tour their clean room, before they got a tattoo everywhere. I kindly had to give her my insight that the room stays clean because we try to allow the least amount of people back there to minimize any risk of contamination. Think of walking into a restaurant and instead of ordering food, just demanding proof that all the dishes were washed and all employees washed their hands (treating people like idiots). A generation of people told daily how special they are, which incidentally has become a big part of society and tattoo clients.

So you want to the see the package opened up in front of you, cool no problem. But do you know you sterilized those tools? The same asshole you didn't trust in the first place! They are not taking out your appendix, it's just a tattoo. Learning to sterilize equipment and work area is simple and can be taught in ten minutes, and just remember that most of the sterilization process and preventative measures are done so YOU don't spread disease to the tattooer, not the other way around. Most tattoo infections are caused by people using inadequate aftercare (being filthy slobs).