1st "Big" Tattoo

fourtotheflush

... last June I was tattooed on my arm in NYC which I had planned to do all my life, my wife's reaction however I could not have planned, she shook and cried uncontrollably! I knew she doesn't really hold a love of the art form as I do but man this was extreme, I've tried to tell her about my leg but she simply just changes the subject or outright ignores me - the rest of life together is heaven and I wouldn't change it for anything but I guess what I'm asking is - how do you live with someone who doesn't respect your interest enough to try and understand?

Sorry, man, that's rough, no advice here. My ex-husband didn't like tattoos on me that much, but it's a non-issue now. Is she open minded in other ways? Shaking is an unusual reaction, that's almost like a phobia or something. Maybe you should take her to a hynotist to find out what's really wrong and help her get past it. (I know I must sound like a smart ass here, which I am indeed, but I'm also a new-age kook, and that's the angle I'm coming from right this second.)

My husband outright told me that I could not get my hands tattooed, but his reason was that I have plenty of other skin left and I hadn't earned it yet.

Hi Dari, I appreciate your thoughts, the reaction was extreme given that I had spoken about it , shown her sketches of ideas and expressed my excitement, also I have bigger tattoos and all them when she met me bar the new one from NY, she even has a small tattoo herself and I hadn't considered it may be linked to some other phobia or such like, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

No it wasn't a surprise, I had talked about it over the 7 or 8 months ahead of our trip, I even had drawn the idea of the tattoo at scale and held it up to my arm to show her, I had told her many times of being tattooed on my first trip to NY and I just think she didn't think I was serious about it perhaps?

I have larger tattoos and they where there when we met, she even has a small tattoo herself it was a strange and very uncomfortable reaction.

@Leighroy

What is the peice on your arm? is it a shocking image?

Maybe the sketch and the image dont work well together.

How is she now that it a few months removed?

On my note, as everyone may have seen in the healing thread, I had a 2.5 hour session and go back at the end of the month to get it colored.

I couldn't be happier with how this turned out and am on the road to recovery right now. Healing up nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Shading near the nipple is going to be good times!

Although im about a half inch from the nipple, it felt like I was getting tattood right on it! - weird sensation!.

I am just under the collarbone and I think that was more painful and an odder senstation, like your entire skeleton was being vibrated!

Bigger may be the way to go on a pec tattoo... but you'll have to get the other side done eventually...

At the appointment you get the last chance to size it, I can't see why it would matter to someone else if it were a little smaller or bigger. Its still gonna be there!

Whatever goes, don't put the artist in the middle of a squabble in the shop. If you think things may get sticky, have the wife stay at home... but have the artist put a 12" x 12" gauze pad on you at the end...

Rob

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
If I didn't bring my fiance to my most recent session I would not have lasted. He was a big support and the best distraction I could have hoped for.

yep ! pain management is all about putting yourself somewhere else,putting yourself in a good happy place,the challenge and control of pain management is an amazing thing our bodies are capable of,it is different for all of us,but the theory is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

If I didn't bring my fiance to my most recent session I would not have lasted. He was a big support and the best distraction I could have hoped for.

yep ! pain management is all about putting yourself somewhere else,putting yourself in a good happy place,the challenge and control of pain management is an amazing thing our bodies are capable of,it is different for all of us,but the theory is the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...