• 4 weeks later...

I have only ever had 8 hour sessions so I have nothing to compare them to and I don't know how much longer I could sit for. My first two sittings were the same artist - he took a lot of cigarette breaks so it wasn't 8 full hours of tattooing. My last session for my inner forearm was a different beast entirely. The tattooist worked solidly the whole time, apart from 5 minutes when I went to the loo, and maybe another 5-10 minutes whilst we both snaffled some brownies I'd made. It was much more painful and I was pretty broken by the end of it; the train journey home felt the longest of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

So the longest ive sat to date is about 3 hours. I'm a little nervous as on Wednesday I'm looking at a 6 potentially 7 hour session. However it's on two different tattoos. One after the other by two artists in the same studio. I'm hoping this might make it easier ? Has anyone got any tips on what to eat etc. I've never really had to worry about blood sugar levels before however after 3 hours I'm usually shivering etc. I'm excited tho even if its a whole new level of pain haha x

• 2 weeks later...
So the longest ive sat to date is about 3 hours. I'm a little nervous as on Wednesday I'm looking at a 6 potentially 7 hour session. However it's on two different tattoos. One after the other by two artists in the same studio. I'm hoping this might make it easier ? Has anyone got any tips on what to eat etc. I've never really had to worry about blood sugar levels before however after 3 hours I'm usually shivering etc. I'm excited tho even if its a whole new level of pain haha x

eat a BIG FUCKING BREAKFAST and keep hydrated.

I like to have lots of protein on hand when I get tattooed. Trail mix, fruit, and jerky are life savers! Any sort of high-calorie yet nutritious snack, really.

edit: ah damn, you've already gotten tattooed by the time you've read this. Well.. for future reference!

But to answer the initial question, my longest session sitting and tattooing was 7 hours on myself. Never again.

The longest I've sat for someone else was 4 and I think the longest I've worked for was 6. The sense of accomplishment makes it worth it in my opinion.

I can only sit for about 4 and a half - 5 hours and then my body literally feels like it's going into shock. I get extremely cold and clammy and start twitching. No amount of food and water has helped me sit through a session any longer.

I can only sit for about 4 and a half - 5 hours and then my body literally feels like it's going into shock. I get extremely cold and clammy and start twitching. No amount of food and water has helped me sit through a session any longer.

I had the same reaction. While it sucks to hear that you went through the same thing, I am glad I am not the only one who experienced the joy of going into shock after the long sessions.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Saturday was my longest, the cover up on my feet-4 hours. That was enough. Until seeing this thread I thought I was a big puss or something since towards the end my feet were shaking and I was just SO ready to be done, wondering if I was going into shock. Glad to know I'm normal.

a couple of years back the marine corps changed their tattoo policy and once they caught wind of it a lot of them started to get their sleeves finished or even started so they could be grandfathered into the new policy. I had 3 weeks booked solid of outlines. the longest one that i had was 11 hours 5 hours on each arm with a break in between for the outline. she was fucking tough, i couldnt imagine getting 10 hours of outline

Longest for me is my tribal piece of a wolf (modified to look like a pic of my old dog) and it took 7.5 hours - loved every second but my body kicked in on the way home and I melted down the wall at the train station :eek:

5 hours on my back. I've settled in at 4 hours as my max, that last hour was just uncomfortable. Not the tattoo pain, just sitting or lying still that long, i started getting crampy, achy and jittery, wanting to move. I guess it doesn't help that the nicotine bug was starting to hit as well. Everything since has been 4 hours or less and were much more comfy. I'll just do sessions if it's gonna be longer.

3 hours is the longest I've had for my back piece. Luckily I've got an insanely high pain tolerance and didn't have any extreme pain after it was all finished.

I can't wait to get started on my sleeve now. In the end, the initial pain is more than worth it.

Nothing huge compared to some others here but 6 hours is my longest. No hurry to do that again, the last hour was brutal.

I think my longest session was 6 hours as well and boy did that get painful toward the end. And the day before I had been worked on for 2.5 hours. My first tattoo as well. Half-sleeve after I turned 18. Go big or go home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...